Sign in to follow this  
nellie

Lavender water - sleep problems

Hi folks,

Someone has told me that lavender water on their children's pillow is a great success. Their child now sleeps through the night.

Has anyone tried this, and have they had any success?

Nellie.

Hi Nellie,

I have been using Lavendar oil for some time now, having been recommended it by the Health Food Shop in my village. I sought it out to try and help my non-ASD girl who is also having difficulty in sleeping (but she just lies there uncomplaining,...bless her)! Having gone through the 'rage stage' of her sister keeping her up every night, she can not now get into a decent pattern herself again. :(

Anyway,...I have tried the oil under the pillows of both girls, in the vain hope of someone sleeping better! I haven't tried it myself yet though. :rolleyes: Sadly, I can't say that I have noticed any change,...but their rooms smell very nice!! :D Makes a change from the reak of Olbas oil for the stinky colds they have during winter!!

Anything is worth a try though!

Elefan

x

Hi guys!

I have put little lavender bags under my girls' pillows to help them sleep as life is often very stressful for them.

I think it helps, if only because it helped the girls feel that their problems were taken seriously, plus the bags are very pretty...lilac and pink, so a big hit!!

Bid :wacko:

Jester :) has just said that he finds that water filtered through hops helps him sleep...but I don't think that's quite the same thing!!

Sorry Nellie :tearful:

I have also had success with perfectly natural (practically homeopathic) by-products of Juniper berries, Potatoes, Sugar cane and Malt but you'll have to see my solicitors for details.

Contact Messrs Gilbey, Smirnoff, Morgan and Glenfiddich for details! :devil:

love Jester :)

Well well Jester, I think my John would agree with you on this one!

http://www.chhomc.free-online.co.uk/harlequin/hangover.jpg

Although I think this particular "brew", does not so much tend to help him fall asleep, more renders him comatose, mouth open, snoring with spittle running down chin!

Not a pretty sight, and he most definitely does not feel "refreshed" the next morning, in fact he complains of "headaches and his tongue goes all furry!"

The whole point of getting a good nights sleep is to wake up full of the joys of spring and ready to face the day. Your particular "brew" would therefore not benefit the average 7 year old!

But thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll stick with the lavender oil!

Edited by CarolJ

Hi folks!

Have yet to try Lavender, though funnily enough I was discussing this with my buddy only 2 days ago!!!

I've tried Bach's remedies with Caghal- they're flower essences in grape alcohol extract (Mr De Vries seems to be thinking along the same lines as Jester here!!! :P )

However, I must say I might as well have dosed him with rainwater for all the effect it has on him! That and the 'anti-muppet' essence for daytime( meant to de-stress kids- his Dad coined the phrase!) but both seemed to have no effect at all.

That said, Mr Jan De Vries also makes a de-stressing remedy for adults which I have found very useful. I'm putting it down to the alcoholic extract!!! ;)

Jester, I've also found Mr Bailey to be of assistance in times of extreme chaos....a word in his shell-like for a few hours and I could sleep for Scotland!!! :D

Esther x

Anyway,...I have tried the oil under the pillows of both girls, in the vain hope of someone sleeping better! 

Elefan

x

Try putting the oil on top of the pillow, roughly a few drops towards the end rather than directly where they usually lay.

Tim

Oh lavendar spray is great stuff. In Asda they have aromatherapy pillows infused with lavendar and they help, but I also use the spray when my aspie lad is highly stressed & just blast it about the room - he loves the smell - (good job lol) and it really helps him chill.

my lad is still an insomniac but it means he falls asleep before midnight some nights, I have noticed a difference since we got the pillows - he is not as stressed about no sleeping, if that makes sense :D

Carol

i find lavender products invaluable when tristan has had a bad day, i give him a bath with lavender scented bubble bath, not actually wanting to advertise but radox do a good one! and a few drops of oil on his pillow and he sleeps like a log ( and wakes up in the fireplace! lol )

:lol:

Must give this lavender oil a try! Caghal is staying up for hours now and wakes at 5am!!! Eyelids now firmly propped open with matchsticks!!!!

Esther x

:blink: OOOOh not good!!

Think i will give the lavender a go.See if it de-stresses Lewis.Can't give him a bath in radox or anything as he has bad eczema.

I'd love to sleep for Scotland Esther, sadly tis not to be, unless i get some lavender bags and meet up with Mr. Daniels ( no, not Paul although i'm sure that would do as good a job!!!! :P )

Sort of related...I have just tried a lavender joss stick (free on the front of a mag!) and Auriel loves it. He even asked if he could have them in his room. Can't be worse than the way his room normally smells... :devil::devil: (Sorry, Auriel!!)

Quite takes me back to my teenage years...it will be patchouli oil next!! (Who else remembers that!?)

Quite takes me back to my teenage years...it will be patchouli oil next!! (Who else remembers that!?)

Joss sticks, patchouli oil, doc martins and Morrissey......

Tassled skirts, black nail polish, moshing at concerts....

ah, my misspent youth!!

I nearly asphyxiated my sister and myself- fell aslpeep with joss stick burning, entire packet went up!!

Estherx

Oooh!!

I had tassley skirts and black nail polish too, but I was more into Hawkwind and King Crimson!!!

Definitely remember falling asleep beneath fug of joss stick smoke...and wondering why I felt faintly sick (or was that the scrumpy??? :devil: )

What about plastic bottles flying through the air at 'gigs' as we called them in the olden days??!!

Edited by bid

:lol: It was Marillion, Big Country, etc for me. I went to many a 'gig'! Penchant for T-Rex at one time though!

I remember my Bananarama look!!! This was either closely followed or replaced by my Goth look!! Black nail polish, long black skirt, talc on my face,.... Did I really do that!!!? :blink::rolleyes::P

Elefan

xx

What about plastic bottles flying through the air at 'gigs' as we called them in the olden days??!!

Nowadays it's more likely to be beer bottles!!! :P

I actually managed to get on stage at a Morrissey concert...one of the proudest moments of my life!! Quick kiss for Mozzer, got chased by the Rock Steady crew and then lugged unceremoniously off stage......

(The man's spine must have been howling!!!)

I think the outfit I remember most fondly...but with some horror at my past taste... was my tie-dye smock top and cut off hotpants.....it seemed more acceptable for goth chicks/mosher chicks to be slightly chubby......I teamed them with knee high purple Docs!!!!

Thank god no one had a camera!!!

Esther x

Ooh ooh!!

Me, I was a bo-ho hippy-dippy girlie (still am at heart :wub: )

Don't let Jester hear about Bananarama...he'll get thoroughly over-excited!!!

I lurved T-Rex (Ride a white swan like the people in the old days...sigh!!)

Maybe we should start a new topic: "Old Codgers' Reminisences"???

Bid :wacko::hypno:

Yaay! Go, Bid!!

Mind you, recalling the rather risque talk in the Batcave......

(to the tune of 'Pick a Pocket or Two,' Oliver film...)

"I think we'd better think this out again!!" :dance:

Esther x

(T.Rex......smashing!!! B) )

(Leslie Phillips Voice) "Well, Hellooooooooo" (Leer)

"Did someone mention 'Bananarama'???

DING-DONG!!" :wub:

Jester :)

Edited by Jester

Hee hee.....

I'm afraid my own fave, totty wise, during my hedonistic youth was 'Guns 'n' Roses'.........

Axl Rose and cycling shorts.........

There's no accounting for taste!!! :P

Esther x

Well, posters on my wall as a teenager...

Marc Bolan (lovingly penned by my own fair hand...) :wub:

Jim Morrison :wub:

Gillan (because of his hair...mercifully you couldn't see his face :devil: )

Oh, and Bob Dylan, but not for any totty reasons!

I've always plastered my walls with the rocky horror show! (perhaps thats too much info!)

Kirstie, Josh has sensitivity to bubble bath, but I use pure essential oil in his bath, just 5 drops seems to work and it doesn't seem to affect him, he now refuses a bath without his lavender in!

has any one tried sleepytime from the body shop? it's the best thing ever, just a spray for the pillow, but has helped Josh for the last year

Ooh, thank you, that's affordable too!!

And as there is a distinct lack of herbally/healthy type shops near me, I shall go investigate.....

As to your tastes, all I can say is....

"OHhhhhhhh, Rrrocky!!!"

(Frank 'n' Furter.....complete genius!!!! Riff Raff is rather groovy also......)

Esther x

Hello all :D

I find it incredible how one subject can lead onto something so totally different :wacko:

Going from lavender water - sleep problems to:

*Joss sticks

*Morrissey

*Hawkwind

*King Crimson

*Marillion

*Big Country

*T - Rex

*Bananarama & Leslie Phillips - "Well Helloooooooo! DING DONG!!!!!"

*Guns 'n' Roses

*Marc Bolan

*Jim Morrison

*Bob Dylan

*and finally, The Rocky Horror Picture Show!!!!!

Ahem, I'm hopefully going to change the subject ;) for a little while at least :devil:

Can anyone tell me of a particular brand of joss stick which actually has a pleasant smell, because all the ones I've tried so far, do not produce the fragrance which they say they do. All the lavender and lemon joss sticks which I've bought in the past have smelt awful. I would like to buy something which actually does the job that it's supposed to do. I tend to use oil burners which are very good, but they only last for a short amount of time.

O.K. :thumbs: you can go back to the pop charts now B)

Thanks, Helen >:D<<'>

I think, with joss sticks, it's a case of trial and eror...and I've always found that cheapy ones really do niff........(not that I'm suggesting you're a skinflint, Helen!!)

I can't use oil burners in my house. The combo of one Aspie child and one inquisitive toddler means it's just too dangerous! Nor can I use pot pourri, as Caghal climbs like a monkey, and will reach it regardless of where I stash the bowl...and for some reson, will then eat it!! :wacko:

Yeuch!

Yet he has tried chomping a joss stick and spat it out, proclaiming it tasted disgusting...work that one out!!! :P

You can also buy little cones that work like joss sticks....these can be quite nice too. I've always found patchouli sticks/cones produce the nicest smell, but there is always an undercurrent of burny smell no matter which scent you try.....

Esther x

I think, with joss sticks, it's a case of trial and eror...and I've always found that cheapy ones really do niff........(not that I'm suggesting you're a skinflint, Helen!!)

Esther,

So you think I should discard the 'container of 1,000 insense sticks' that I bought for a quid from the outdoor market??? :D

Helen :rolleyes:

Helen

So you think I should discard the 'container of 1,000 insense sticks' that I bought for a quid from the outdoor market??? 

Maybe you could use these in the garden to keep the flies away. :lol: Or better still, send them to me & I could use them in my garden to keep my NFH (neighbours from hell) away. :devil:

Gita

So you think I should discard the 'container of 1,000 insense sticks' that I bought for a quid from the outdoor market??? :D

Certainly not!!! Remeber, you are talking to a true Scotswoman here, Helen, canny and tightwaddy to the end!!!

(as if!!...my poor bank manager!!...... :P )

While we're on the subject of NFH's, tell you what, we'll sort 'em out in style!!

Everyone, gather your cheapy, acrid joss sticks, your old rock albums (T-Rex, Marillion, whatever!) Then don your hippy garb/goth outfits, etc and we'll travel to each other's houses and smoke the NFH's out with our joss sticks!!! :P

Should that fail, we'll rock 'em into submission!!! :lol:

Or we could sneak lavender oil into their homes so they'll doze off as soon as they enter their domicile.....

Okay, I'm scaring myself now!! :D

Esther x

Sudden ghastly thought!

Do you think this new research project will discover a hitherto unknown link between ASDs and pre-conceptual joss stick abuse???

I am beginning to see a worrying trend emerging from our teenage confessions...were we ALL hippies or goths???!!! :hypno:

I think we should be told!

Is it only safe to light joss sticks separately, or can you light 3 at once?

Did Tone or Cherie ever inhale a joss stick??

Has little Leo had single joss sticks?

OK...I'm off back to the Bat Cave now!

Do you think this new research project will discover a hitherto unknown link between ASDs and pre-conceptual joss stick abuse???

:lol::D:P

Pre-Conceptual Joss Stick Abuse indeed!!

I think, just to be on the safe side, I'll stick to single joss sticks......if only I could find a place where they sell them separately!!! ;)

Esther x

see my son hates smelly things so i think lavendar is a no-no. I suffer from insomnia myself and found lavendar usless, perhaps sometimes it is the suggestion

of a thing helping rather than it actually working if you see what i mean :lol:

I think a hypnotist would have real trouble putting me out, my brain is constantly

working away, - you name it Ive tried it.

heres hoping for a miracle! :(

Hi,

My son suffers awfully from lack of sleep, he can't get to sleep and once he does, he wakes nearly every night at least 2/3 times!

I haven't tried the lavender smellies, as like Elaine 1, my son can't handle any strong smell.

The only thing that I've found that at least keeps bedtime quiet (avoiding a meltdown) is rountine! I think that becuase we have been living with this problem for so many years, I've forgotten how 'unnormal' it is!

Has anyone got any other suggestions for 'remedies' that they have found useful in getting their darlings off to the land of nod? or asked the doctor for help...this is something I've not felt comfortable in doing ( using drugs) and would love to hear others view on.

regards, tizz

Hi Nellie

Thanks for the link, it certainly made interesting reading!

I'm going to do a little research on Melatonin and ask the GP about it at Asa's next appointment on Wednesday...along with the many other things I need to ask about...oh they will be happy!

Regards, tizz

i am new tocomputers so ignore any mistakes!i keep hearing about the benefits of lavender,i am going to try it on my son and will let you know how it goes