Sign in to follow this  
Deborah 1

vitamin supplements

I am still waiting for final diagnoses from Luke?s paediatrician or for him to make up his mind what conclusion he has come to. Luke?s speech therapist, nursery and other people involved with him like me have all come to the conclusion that Luke is on the autistic spectrum and may also have ADHD

I have noticed with certain foods he becomes hyper and or ends up with an upset stomach.

He is three years old and I have been told by a lot of people that I should try him on omega 3 and vitamin supplements. I am a little afraid to just start giving him these items

Should I get advice from my doctor or go to the health food shop and ask them

I am a little worried as to what to do as I am still trying to catch up with myself after all the meetings I have had to attend and information I have had to read

So I would be grateful for any input as to how you started your children on supplements or vitamins

Thankyou

Deborah :D

My son takes the Haliborange multivit with the Omega 3 included. Saves him taking half a dozen different tablets as its all in one. My youngest now takes it (NT) and noticed a massive improvement with him aswell, both in concentration and general health. I usually get them on 3 for 2 in Boots which saves me a bit each time. A health foods shop or GP may offer advice on it but we just started our children on these without any form of proffesional advice.

Hi,

my advice would be to first get some tests done, like blood, urine... Comprehensive Stool Analysis is a very useful one (not sure whether it would be available through NHS though - if not they might have something similar). Anyway, this is to establish what exactly goes on, what nutrients he is lacking etc, as you might end up giving him something that his body does not need (probably would not do any harm, but you would be waisting your time and effort, as good quality supplements are not cheap), or you might give him something that does need but in different dosages etc. There are labs in this country that would do blood tests that establish level of fatty acids in blood (not sure what the tests are called exactly), ie whether he lacks omega-3 and how badly.

Secondly, and this is actually CRUCIAL, is to find out what h digestion/absorbtion is like. Most autistic kids have some sort of damage to their intestines and there is malabsortion (for various reasons, usually bacterial dysbiosis, presence of fungus that damages intestinal wall etc) of nutrients. So even though he gets proper nutriets, supplements etc in his food, what he puts in his body does not get digested/absorbed and gets waisted - literally 'goes down the drain'. If there is malabsorbtion and other gastrointestinal issues the best way to try and address them is through Specific Carbohydrate Diet (see my postings on the subject for more information), combination of enzymes, colostrum etc.

If you do go ahead with Omega-3, apparently the most effective are the ones where the ratio of EPA to DHA is about 80/20, so if you have say 400 EPA then you don't want more than about 80-100 DHA in them. You also want pharmaceutical grade Omega-3, with no oxigen (nitrogen is better). Optimum dosage is said to be 1gr (of EPA, as DHA is apparently not as important) dialy.

Unfortunaly high quality supplements are guite pricey, another reason to establish whether whether he would be absorbing them at all.

Good luck!

�To cling to a purely genetic explanation of autism is a desperate attempt to maintain the illusion that one lives in a comfortable and rational world where new chemicals and technologies always mean progress, experts are always objective and thorough, corporations are honest and authorities can be trusted. That human actions, rather that genetics, might be responsible for compromising the health of a significant propertion of a whole generation is so painful as to be, for many unthinkable.�
Edited by natasha778

Hi

Yes I believe you can just start these types of supplements.I would try just one at a time tho' and pref' go for one that does what you want as an all in one.We tried the omega 3 and multi vits but unfortunatly Char has hyper sensative taste and we can't disguise them in anything so he doen't take them.

Try talking to the pharmasist in somewhere like Boots or Holland and barratt

I found them very good and gave advice on the best products.

Lisa x