Sign in to follow this  
reuby2

Going back to CAMHS on thursday

Hiya all,

We are going back to Camhs on thursday when hopefully they will be able to come to some conclusion for my son.I have just got my head around the fact that they suspected autism and when we go on thursday they should have the school report and the ot and speech and language.What i am confused about today is that they have sent us a copy of the letter that they have sent to the paediatrician concerning our last meeting in which they state that ...he has some autistic features but not enough to make a diagnosis of classic autism at this point...then goes on to say that they have requested reports from school etc.What does this mean? My son acts very reserved at school and i have read that some kids appear passive which is what i think he is doing but i am concerned that he wont get any help now.What is classic autism?I am confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fi

xx

classic autism is also known as Kanner's autism and it is the sort of autism associated with fairly dominant autistic behaviours such as flapping, echolalia (echoing phrases), withdrawal, delayed language development. Obviously this is a generalisation but it's the sort of presentation where the autism is pretty obvious to even a fairly casual observer.

however, there are many, many presentations of autism besides this 'classic autism'

Aspergers is one of those presentations - here the autism is often masked, or seems to be below the surface, sometimes only becoming noticable if the person is stressed. AS people can, and do, have the same behaviours as other autistic people but they are less obvious in general.

sometimes atypical autism is diagnosed because while the autism is definitely there it does not fit into any one particular category

HFA, or high functioning autism is another variant

all of these are presentations of autism and even within these diagnoses there are huge variations in the presentation

just because 'classic autism' is not the diagnosis doesn't mean there will be no diagnosis

even if they are not sure they may still diagnose simply as ASD (autistic spectrum disorder) or even as PDDnos(ASD) (pervasive developmental delay not otherwise specified (ASD)) possibly looking to refine the diagnosis later.

hope it all goes well

Zemanski

Well answered Zemanski - I was madly looking up some books to see if I could find the answer in simple english.

Of course, 'classic autism' could have been used by the professionals to describe the fact that there is no doubt that this lad is on the autism spectrum, somewhere, and not in the true sense of Kanner Syndrome.

Best wishes

HelenL

Thanks for replying, I just didn't know if they were changing their mind now.To be honest i have covered up a lot of his behaviour issues and regularly my hubby and me get hit or kicked when he just doesn't stop even when you tell him it hurts.It is playing to him but we end up getting really hurt and he just doesn't respond to us asking him to stop or telling him we are hurt untill we really shout and then he looks sad and says he didn't know it would hurt and he is sorry.......and then does exactly the same thing again.Anyway i'm going to have a cuppa now

bye for now

Fi

x

I think that if you want them to give you a straight answer you do really need to tell them about all your son's behaviours, particularly if they are very different in one environment from another (typical AS jeckyll and hyde behaviour)

if they don't have all the information how can they make a good decision?

personally, I would rather have a diagnosis of autism than AS because AS is autism but is often seen as mild and so the access to support for children and families in school, from social services, etc, is often much poorer. The diagnosis doesn't change your child it is just a signpost to services, support and understanding.

good luck

Zemanski

Hi,

I agree with Zemanski you do need to tell them ALL your sons behaviours. I too didn't let them know the full extent when we had our first CAMHS appointment and although his first report stated he was showing signs of Autism or Aspergers they didn't feel he was too bad. Until I phoned begging for help after the summer hols and I was very desperate to get something done. I too had not explained fully the problems we were having with the tantrums and I get hit, pinched, kicked, head butted and spat at until I am covered in bruises. When he comes out of it he is crying and doesn't understand what has gone on and he is such a loving child usually. I am still waiting but please let them know the extent of his problems because I don't think they tend to do anything unless they realise you are desperate.

Take care and good luck for Thurs.

Mum22boys >:D<<'>