nellie

National RADAR Key Scheme-Unisex Toilets

The National RADAR Key Scheme - Unisex Toilets

The National Key Scheme initiated by RADAR ( Royal Association for Disability and Rehabilitation) offers independent access to over 6000 locked public toilets in the UK. The keys are available from RADAR at a cost of �4.11 inc. vat or �3.50 with a declaration of disability. They are also available from your local District Council.

REASONS FOR OBTAINING KEY :

It is not always appropriate to take boys into the ladies toilet especially as they get older.

Equally, if dads are out with daughters, the same problem can arise.

Our children often need supervision into adulthood.

You can often avoid a long queue.

http://www.radar.org.uk/radarwebsite/tabid/41/default.aspx

Edited by nellie

I have got this key for my boy and what a God send it is.

The looks we used to get from other women when I took my 8 year old into the ladies... It certainly saves the embarrassment and also peace of mind as some loos he just plain refuses to go into no matter how desperate he is and so had to have him pee up against the car or in a hedge or somewhere else acceptable to him. With these loos it becomes a lot less hassle.

Just wasn't quite prepared for how big the key was... its massive.

Oh yes if you go to the Radar site to order your key when I got mine they were having a few problems so I had to phone up and check when it was going to arrive to be told that they were having problems with the site and hadn't sent any out despite having the payment... they need chasing up. Did receive it 3 days later though. I got mine about a month back so everything could be sorted by now just in case phone them up.

RADAR

12 City Forum

250 City Road

London EC1V 8AF

Tel: 020 7250 3222

Fax: 020 7250 0212

Minicom: 020 7250 4119

E-mail: radar@radar.org.uk

We are going to DisneyParis next month(never been out of the country before with son!)We will take our Radar key for toilets in this country but can anyone tell me what they are like there.I find that everything I read about disabled facilites is aimed only at those in wheelchairs.

I got mine from my local Environmental Health dept for free, might be worth popping in and asking about it

I've just ordered mine too. Didn't even think about it until I saw this thread. What a godsend it will be to have one of these. My son refuses to go into the ladies, and spends about 20 minutes doing goodness knows what in the mens. I worry about what is happening to him in there until he comes back out. In public places, especially the city, you never know what kind of shady characters could be waiting in there for our kids.

I got one as well thanks to this thread, I had the same concerns re the 'shady characters' (don't you get nervous and want to get in there when he is taking so long? I did!)) and also, often I don't dare leave him alone at all, so the Radar Key is absolutely brilliant. And the toilets are so much cleaner too, and NO queueing! :D

As usual Nellie :notworthy::notworthy::D

Just ordered one - it will be a god send....

Last time i took M into public toilets, he had his head under each door asking if they had enough paper!! :blink::lol:

Plus, he's not very good at recognising the need to go to the loo - so when he does realise - we have to run for it! :rolleyes::wub:

Hi Nellie

Had a good chuckle at your post could just imagin sittin havin a wee and a little head appearing to ask me if I have enough loo roll!!! LOL

Sorry know it's not funny but brightened up my day.

Lisax

:lol:

My key took 2 weeks and I had to send two reminders to the company.

It came the other day - it's huge!!! I feel like a prison warden!!

i have a key and feel so much safer using it especially at night when i am out, cose the thought of going into some ladies toilets makes me shake, but cannot afford to get caught "behind a bush" as a female again LOL

:ph34r:

... and the best news is that you can use the toilets for free - they don't make you pay if you have a disabled key!

We used one of those space age freestanding loos yesterday (like metal pods) using the key ... my son was well impressed, said it was like being in a spaceship.

I tried to use our key on Sunday as son was desparate and the other toilets were locked. It wouldn't work. I tried for ages then son couldn't wait any longer.

Hi

I was thinking about getting on. I notice that they sell a book listing all the toilets for a tenner. Put me off a bit because I want to know where there are toilets which we can access in my locality. Anyone know where to find out without forking a tenner?

Caroline.

Walking past a shop mobility place today and there was a sign in the window saying RADAR keys �3.99. I didn't have to show any paerwork (which did worry me a bit) but did have to sign a form to "get the vat off" and allow her to sell it to me at that price.

So pleased that I will not have to worry about him when he disappears into the mens for 20 minutes anymore. The number of times I have sent someone in to look for him!!

I picked up a radar key from my local council office today for my son - FREE :clap: will come in very handy especially as he is always running in & out of the toilets when we are out & taking ages in there & as i can't very well just barge into the men's loo's & startle some poor man in there doing his business, then this key will come in very handy for some privacy for him

We got ours a couple of years ago after a scary incident. Mr pearl & JP went in a public toilet. JP pushed open a cubicle door but there was already a man in there, he apologised & went in next one.

Mr pearl was round corner washing his hands when he heard a commotion. The man was trying to push his way into JPs cubicle which had a faulty lock. Mr pearl said, what the hell are you doing, oh its ok I know the boy, said Mr Perv.

Dont think so, he's my son, said mr pearl, s*d off or I'll call the police. We went & reported it straight away & they sent a car round but he was long gone.

This was in a busy market square - me standing outside oblivious.

OMG Pearl how awful! There really are some dangerous & strange people out there :angry:

Thank goodness you have a radar key now, i like it cos it's private & i can go in with my son. I always felt very uncomfortable if my husband wasn't with me & Hayden would run into the men's loo's & spent ages in there, he also panics & won't lock a toilet door so this key is a godsend!

My only gripe is that its soooooo big, like the keys to the Tower of London.

JP likes to keep all his keys on his belt loop but we can't let him put the radar on or he'd look like a prison warder! :police:

I went and picked one up from my local council offices today. Not free though only �3.40. The key is so big - at least I won't have to fumble for it in handbag. Can't miss it.

I find the radar key is a godsend for us.My DS2 has bowel problems so when he goes to the toilet it invariably involves him having to get cleaned up and a complete change of clothes ,imagine trying to do that in a normal cubicle and with a baby in a buggy too :hypno:

I was thinking the other day about getting another as I have to keep changing it from bag to bag and often forget it which is a nightmare,I've never lost it yet tho its just too big!!

We got ours a couple of years ago after a scary incident. Mr pearl & JP went in a public toilet. JP pushed open a cubicle door but there was already a man in there, he apologised & went in next one.

Mr pearl was round corner washing his hands when he heard a commotion. The man was trying to push his way into JPs cubicle which had a faulty lock. Mr pearl said, what the hell are you doing, oh its ok I know the boy, said Mr Perv.

Dont think so, he's my son, said mr pearl, s*d off or I'll call the police. We went & reported it straight away & they sent a car round but he was long gone.

This was in a busy market square - me standing outside oblivious.

That's seriously scary stuff, I think I'd have given him a good :fight:

We got ours from the council but its been difficult using it, J doesnt like confined spaces, and wont let me close the door, one day a hirate mother went mental asking what the hell was J doing messing about, these toilets are for disabled people not silly idiots! she was very angry and I havent dared use it again, I cant let J go in the mens, and he wont go in the ladies, and sometimes he wont go because of the smells, either the bleach and air freshner or worse ladies perfums and if I need the loo its a whole new ball game, watching him and going isnt a very managble task.

We have lately been settling for a local hotel that keeps an eye out on J and there posh and clean for J to go.

JsMum

Hi.I also have similar problems.Fortunately Ben has an elder brother who is helpful.When we go anywhere new I need to check there are toilets that are clean and acceptable.I feel like London's expert on nice toilets :rolleyes::rolleyes: Karen.

That's seriously scary stuff, I think I'd have given him a good :fight:

He was a small pathetic man in his 60s in a woolly jumper, which somehow stopped mr p from decking him. I'd have had no probs tho as I am smaller than most people but pack a good punch! :lol:

JsMum, try & ignore that silly woman. You know he has a right to use it, just have your answer ready for the next idiot who sees fit to pass judgment >:D<<'>

We've had our key for over a year now and tbh we hardly never use it (mostly cos I don't like taking Mr out to public places!!) but when we need to use it it is definatly very useful.

We got it from the council offices and we did have to pay a small amount can't remember how much now. >:D<<'>

I've been thinking about getting one for myself, I have really bad IBS and if I need to go I can't be waiting for the cubicle to become available. I've had times where I haven't made it in time because of queues. :unsure:

Thats why I have ordered one science geek. Lets hope it doesnt take too long to arrive. Its a bit tiresome planning outings around toilet facilities!

Mine came today, it is rather big! I could have done with it on holiday last week when I had a nasty IBS episode (details spared).

Is there a list of all the places you can use it?

*rushes off to the council office to ask about RADAR keys*

My boy is a mature looking 11 year old and he has to come in the ladies with dd and i, not that he is the slightest bit bothered.

Couldn't let him use the gents alone. Not only does he copy people, spend half an hour sat on the loo humming and singing one line over and over, but is likely to start a conversation by commenting on somebody's genitalia. :rolleyes: