Sign in to follow this  
dorsetmummy

does

Hi

Yes this is one of the many traits which AS ASD children can have.Char did this for quite a while more so when he didn't have his shoes on although we bought some heavy shoes and it seamed to calm down.He does still do this if he is anxious or put in a situation he doesn't know.Don't think it does them any harm and my friends little boy AS who is eight still does thins and it hasn't caused any problems.

Lisa x

Hi Julie -

Yes, quite a common trait, as Lisa's said...

There can be some complications arising from this, I think, with things like bowel/back problems occuring occasionally if it's excessive, but there's not really anything you can do about it, other than just deal with any problem that might occur when and if it does...

Don't mean that to worry you in anyway, and most kids don't get to that sort of stage anyway, but thought it worth mentioning in a sort of 'just in case' way

L&P

BD :D

Hi,

Both my sons walk on tip toes. Although mainly without shoes. The eldest is currently being assessed but the youngest it's too early to tell. I too have heard it's a trait of asd but not sure it's only linked to this. I do not have As (well don't think I have) and i constantly walked on tip toes until recently (thats over 30 years). I still sometimes slip into it again though - wierd!!! :unsure:

My little one isn't walking yet, though he's starting to take steps. All his cruising is done on tip toes though if he has no shoes on. He has hypotonia also though so we have an orthotics appointment in Jan.

Lynne x

I don't walk on tip toes as such but I don't put my heel to the floor when i'm standing, it sort of hovers. I've been asked before now if I'm a dancer because I have a sort of balletic gait :D