Sign in to follow this  
opal

Psychologist ?

I am confused at what the difference is between Psychologist and a phsychatrist.

It is a phsychatrist that I am going to see regarding my DS. Does it make any difference on there approach to autism.

some dictionary definitions are:

psychology: The science that deals with mental processes and behavior.

psychiatry: The branch of medicine that deals with

the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental and emotional disorders.

Com has seen both; the psychologists were much more concerned with the overall picture, behaviour, feelings and ways of thinking and also with strategies for support, but the psychiatrist did the psychometric testing and seemed more focused on specific detail. It was the psychologist who gave the diagnosis on both occasions though.

personally I didn't think there was a great deal of difference, ours were working as part of the same team so I suppose really they were just using their different skills and focus to build up an overall picture.

not sure that's a lot of help, just personal experience I think.

one thing though - I found going to the psychiatrist with Com far more daunting than going to the psychologist (the word psychiatrist seems to induce stronger emotions/anxiety) but in actual fact I liked him far more than the psychologist Com had at that point.

Zemanski

psy?chi?a?trist ( P ) n.

A physician who specializes in psychiatry.

psy?chi?a?try ( P ) n.

The branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental and emotional disorders.

psy?chol?o?gist ( P ) n.

A person trained and educated to perform psychological research, testing, and therapy.

psy?chol?o?gy ( P ) Pronunciation Key n. pl. psy?chol?o?gies

The science that deals with mental processes and behavior.

The emotional and behavioral characteristics of an individual, group, or activity: the psychology of war.

Subtle tactical action or argument used to manipulate or influence another: He used poor psychology on his employer when trying to make the point.

Philosophy. The branch of metaphysics that studies the soul, the mind, and the relationship of life and mind to the functions of the body.

I don't know if this helps. I don't know whether their approaches to Autism would be the same or different.

Sorry, not much help was I :oops:

Edited by fiorelli

A few sites that might help explain:-

NHS

Psychologist v Psychiatrist

A's Psychiatrist told me that she didn't think that behavioural approaches would work with him and that as such she didn't think the intervention of a Psychologist would be helpful.

As Zemanski says, ours work as part of a team, but only the Psychiatrist can prescribe medication.

Edited by Tez

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who has done further training in psychology. A psychologist has a degree in psychology and several years post grad training on top.

Psychologists have the more in depth training as psychiatrists spend far less time studying mental health and behaviour. Having said that, there are good and bad elements in both professions.

Ideally they should work as a team and sometimes do. Often though they are at one anothers throats - psychiatrists see themselves as inherently superior and psychologists are resentful because they are doing the same job for far less pay. (Often they are working harder as they are delivering therapy as opposed to just writing out a prescription).

Slightly biased as my husband is a psychologist. :devil:

My quick definition of it is:

Pyschologist:cannot prescribe medication

Pyschiatrist can prescribe medication