Sign in to follow this  
bid

Ideas for a (very) mini-break...

Reading about Lorry's New york trip has inspired me to start a new thread.

What are your suggestions for a (very) mini-break?

Where have you been, that didn't cost a fortune, and didn't depend on good weather??

I do have an ulterior motive! :devil:

My dear mum has given us a little bit of money for Christmas, and this was one idea I had for spending it!

Of course, then I'll have to start another thread asking for ideas for what to do with the three littlies! :o

Bid :)

This would be the first time we've been away on our own in 13 years!! :blink:

How about a trip to Paris on the Eurostar? You will be able to get some bargains for early Spring and it is such a quick, easy trip.

You could always try New York, loads of bargain flights Jan/Feb. Take a look on Expedia for some ideas.

Happy hunting

Love Lorainexx

Dont know how much money you have got to spend, or where you have in mind, but we are going to oxford next weekend, staying in travelodge room for �10 for the two of us next friday night, if you are interested look on their website to see where the �10 room are available. Think this ofer is even for a family room too.

Good luck and happy break whetherever you choose

Julie

Apart from a kit-kat, I'm stumped!!

What do you like doing? Town? Country? Shops? Exercise? Pampering? Alone or with company? Near or Far?

Most of my mini breaks are in Travel Inns...... hubbie doesn't like change. Sometimes I wake up and wonder, where am I this time? They all look the same!! :lol:

Nellie xx

Hi Bid,

Depends how far you want to go really.

Me and my man have managed to escape for the weekend a few times, but i've never gone far incase there is a disaster back home!

We go and stay in a nice Hilton somewhere and chill out (and drink far too much bubbly!)

They do great 2 night deals with dinner on the first night (yummy!).

The New Forest is lovely too (not in this weather though!).

Loulou x

Centerparcs is good for familes, but they are good without families too.

This time of year you could probably get a short notice weekend very cheaply, and if there is any money left in the pot you could spend it while you are there doing things you never normally get to do like a spa bath or a massage.

Simon

Prague

Lots of friends have been there (we haven't coz we're a bit sad and don't go away much - gosh, I'd have to talk to my husband if we went away!!!!!!! or something else!!!!!!!) but everyone says it's cheap, beautiful and a fantastic place to visit.

Clarkie

Well we're off on our own grown up mini break tomorrow, as it happens. :):dance:

We were given some theatre tokens as a Christmas present 2 years ago. At the same time I bought my dh tokens for Vinopolis (a wime museum in London). So we're off to London tomorrow and staying overnight in a hotel. It will be weird as we only live 20 minutes away by train but I've always loved London since coming to the UK in '87 - ( still a tourist at heart. :rolleyes: )

I'm so excited - been waiting for this for ages. We have hardly been away from the kids at all in the last year and this year we didn't get a family holiday at all. We've finally persuaded the grandparents that L will not go not mad, bite them or jump off the roof if they have her for the weekend. Both children love going there and are looking forward to it too.

London is obviously pretty convenient for us, but if you don't fancy it, any country hotel would be good - it's the change of scenery that counts. I'm quite fond of Brighton at this time of year, there's lots to do - you can wander through the lanes and sit in restaurants and coffee houses and watch the world go by.. If you do want to go further afield, Bruges is lovely and so compact, just right to explore over a weekend.

See you all on Monday. :)

Bid,

That's an idea, Bruges for the chocolate, then Antwerp for the diamonds.

That's an easily do-able weekend, the trains are really good (apparently, never been but other half worked in Belgium for a while )

Amsterdam, despite it's seedy repututation, is great if you stay away from the stag/hen party lot, the museums are fantastic, the people are really nice and Anne Frank's house made our visit for me. It's very strange to actually go behind the bookcase and enter the secret part of the house. It's not most people's idea of a fun weekend, but I came back having seen lots of things I'd always wanted to see (the Van Gogh exhibition too )

wac

had a very weird episode of synchronicity whilst there, this place now sticks in my mind.

Palma is another great city to visit that's not too far away, ooh, and Barcelona, am onto my wish list now, these are only places I've been through :(

Those Hilton deals are goood. We tried another chain which was also good value. What about Calais - im just about o book a �25 ferry daytrip. Boulogne is underated. Amiens a bit further away is good. The cite of europe just outside calais is good for shopping and booze. There are lots of small townhs in that region which will be quiet. Lille is also a good weekend or overnighter. Not sure when the Xmas markets start but they are really pretty. Have a look at this site. We have used it for ten years and have always had a great time. www.gites-de-france.fr. They do weekend deals. Have a great time

We live close to Manchester which is great for a city type break.Has theatres, loads of free museums :rolleyes::D , shops............Selfridges....Harvey nicks....big Next...loads of brill shops :thumbs: , the malmaison is a good not too expensive hotel.....Also like Bicester/Oxford cos theres a brill designer discount shopping mall and loads of hotels etc close by.The Lakes are good for a relax, Keswick is nice. Chester is another great city too.Best of look finding a good break Bid , love Suzex.

earlier this year we had our first mini break in the lake district. we stayed in a farmhouse for dinner, bed and brekkie and it was lovely.

this friday we did it again only this time we went to alnwick.

again we stayed DBB in a farmhouse then went into alnwick yesterday. the castle (harry potters!) is great and the alnwick gardens are fantastic.

as for the kids we had grandma over for the night.

the kids were great thankfully.......last night however G woke up screaming at 3.30 having a bad dream, O woke at 4am with a dickie belly and E woke at 7am being sick

oh its sooooooooo good to get back to normal........lol

this year we've done Stockholm with Alex, he wanted to see Sweden, and it turns out it was because the way they spoke made him laugh! It was v.nice.

Without Alex we managed to sneak away to Paris (always wonderful- favourite city in world after London), and you can get really cheap flights, or eurostar.

And we had a lovely time in Ireland for a couple of nights, more details if you want them.

Ray

London isn't to be sniffed at - we've just had a very enjoyable day and a half there- even though we're only 20 mins away by train. :)

We had various vouchers to spend so we went to Vinopolis for a very enjoyable wine and whisky tasting afternoon, (hic!!) then off to Wagamama for a quick bite before going to the theatre to see "The Producers" which was great fun - anything that can make me laugh out loud these days has to be good. :rolleyes: It was great not to worry about catching a train home afterwards. Good view of Tower Bridge from the hotel room - felt like a proper tourist :lol: . Yesterday we went for a coffee and leisurely stroll around St Katherine's dock then across to Butler's Wharf and the Design Museum. We saw Tower Bridge open to let a yacht through - this is a rare event so it was great to be there. B)

Back to pick up the children from the grandparents, then home. All too short a break but very invigorating. There is so much to do in London that is cheap or free and you don't have to spend precious hours hanging around in airports.

How about a murder mystery weekend?

Or right up your street given your OLD avatar... head up north of the border (or across the water to the dear ol' emerald isle, beghorra and bejaysus!) and stay in some draughty old castle for a medieval banquet weekend!

Some nice, quiet, country/coastal hotel; nice walks, open fires, red wine and...whats that other thing? Ahh, yes, intimacy...

Oh, a couple of people mantion Paree -

Did this years ago myself and it was wonderful, but be warned it is fffffffffffreeeezing there in winter. Take more than a Jambon and Chocolate to warm you up - seriously!

L&P

BD :D

Wow...thanks, guys!

So many brilliant ideas...how do I choose? :lol:

Just got to persuade one set of godparents that they would luuurve to have the three littlies for a weekend! :ph34r:;)

Bid :)

Bid,research a place called Riga (capital of Latvia),there's cheap flights there.

My sister went there this month for her 25th birthday,for 3/4 nights,she said everything is very cheap there,not in a shanty town type way,but very reasonable prices for food,cigarettes,drinks,she said the biggest bottle of coca cola costs 69 or 79p (forget which) and mcdonalds hamburgers were 30 or 40 odd pence.

She bought me back a big bar of Laima chocolate for something around 30/40..pence,Laima is their national confectionary brand.