desperate

Home Educating

my son is in year 9 at school, we are ment to be choosing his options together. This has caused a major problem as his subject teachers are saying that he would not be able to sit there GCSEs, well what am i ment to do?

We are struggling with this, our son is behind with his schooling maths level3 english level 3 science level4, he cannot keep up with his peers. We are now considering home education. He does have a statement of 24 hours but this is not helping him at all, as his grades have not moved on in 3 years. any advice please anyone.

Hi Julie,

making decisions on GCSEs is not easy at the best of times. Sitting exams for GCSEs is not obligatory for children, equally is not obligatory for the school to put children forward for any GCSEs, however your child has the right to an education suitable to his age,aptitude, and SENs. When you enroll a child into the school system you (parent) delegate the responsability to the LA. So has the LA proposed a suitable alternative?

I find it rather irritating the attitude from your son's school! It sounds a rather childish attitude: your child has only these results and he can't join us! (chant)

If you were to HE, do you think you could/would do worse than the 'system' has in the last 3 years? Could you re-adjust to having ds 24/7?

http://www.he-special.org.uk/ is a website specifically dedicated to children and carers who are or are thinking about HE. It also has a support list, which might be able to answer a few of your questions/fears/worries.

Education Otherwise has a helpline http://www.education-otherwise.org/

Im seriously thinking of home edding ds but im so sick of 'well meaning' family members like the other halfs mum saying o but he wont get a job, wont get exams, he has to do school hours etc argh!!!!!!

Im seriously thinking of home edding ds but im so sick of 'well meaning' family members like the other halfs mum saying o but he wont get a job, wont get exams, he has to do school hours etc argh!!!!!!

Give them the stickjaw toffee.

He could still do exams through your local college or even through school as a private candidate so the results wouldn't reflect on the school(not that this should matter but in the real world we know what schools are like ;) ) He could be able to go to college to do some courses before he's 16, or at least sit exams there. Home edding does not necessarliy mean no exams! I worked in a school where a couple of our enrolled kids had not set foot in the place for three years due to school phobia. They were entitled to home tutors and could take GCSE exams at home - the SENCO or home tutor is allowed to invigilate the exam at home but under exam conditions. There are always ways around it! Good luck - I'm on the verge of doing this myself as DS is school refusing again - just weighing up our options.