Sign in to follow this  
reuby2

work

I have had to stay at home today because "j" is ill and couldn't bear to be left with nanna.I am so scared that I am going to get in trouble at work. He hates being picked up twice a week by nanna and ends up blanking her for the hour and a half that he is with her.I only work 3 days but now that I know that it is autism that he has I don't know whether i should finish so that i can be there for him when he finishes school. He finds school especially difficult and hates being away from home.

Money isn't the issue it was more that working got me out and was a lifeline for me when i had depression I am a bit scared that it will come back if i am in the house all day which also is not good for the family.

I don't like to see him getting so upset and he spends all day just coping at school.

I have already asked about dropping a day at work but they couldn't find a way to do that and now that "J" has been dx I have asked again today. But it made me feel awful to explain the situation with my son and the fact that he can't cope in certain situations.

reuby2,

I'm sure I remember hearing something about carers having certain rights to time off from work.

This is the link to The Princess Royal Trust for Carers, you will be able to find your nearest branch there. You could ring them and ask what your rights are. It will also be beneficial if you register with them.

http://www.carers.org/

Hope this helps.

Nellie xx

Recently while browsing the net I came across a charity that is specifically there to help parents who are also carers remain in employment. I shall have a wee look and see if I can find it again.

hi reuby,

I have been in a similar situation myself with work. If Kai is ill, i stay at home with him and it does make me feel guilty. I have also been reducing my hours gradually as my mum just can't cope with Kai.

I work for the NHS and i found out from a colleague that workers are entitled to "Parental leave" days when their children are unwell. It may be worth looking into this with your employer to see if you are entitled. According to the labour government, employers should be "family friendly".

Loulou x

if you do decide you need a break from work you won't be the first.

I was working fulltime as our main breadwinner but what with tribunals and school doing stupid stuff I got ill myself.

I still yearn for that time out of the house but carers' allowance assuaged the guilt - if not the bank - a little (I'm being paid to be home) and life is so much easier for us all. I do a bit of voluntary which is great as I can pick and choose when I go but it is still that sort of committment and time out.

hope you work it out

Zemanski

yeah i understand what you mean about needing time out of the house,my main aim daily is finding somewhere to go while steves at school,i think its like my bit of respite and it helps me cope when he gets in,i would be no good in the bb house,i would go stir crazy then again it would be a nice rest!