Sign in to follow this  
lisa

oxybutynin

Has anyone used oxybutynin for their child and if so what are your experiences? My daughter has incontinence problems. I think it's a sensory thing and she doesn't actually recognise the feeling of wanting to urinate until she wets herself a bit, that's her cue that she needs the toilet, she can then stop herself from wetting further and get to a toilet.

The consultant has wanted to put her on medication for the past year but she's already taking melatonin and I didn't really want her taking anything else if at all possible. The problem is, she's nearly 9 and it's becoming a bit embarrassing for her so something has to be done.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks.

Lisa

Julie

Was it the same thing, sensory? I'm not convinced it's going to work for us either as it's meant to reduce the sensitivity of the bladder so she doesn't need to urinate so often. But I don't think that that's the problem as she doesn't need to go to the toilet more than any other child, she just doesn't recognise when she does want to go. I don't see how this medication will help her to be honest. I'm also concerned that once she takes the drug she'll hold the urine longer in her bladder and perhaps encourage urinary tract infections. She already seems prone to these, she's had 4 in the past 18 months which the consultant thinks may be due to the fact that she doesn't tell anyone when she's wet and sits in damp knickers all day at school encouraging the bugs, or something like that anyway.

What did you end up doing? Did you find something that did work or did your child grow out of?

Lisa