Sign in to follow this  
nevinclan

application for statuory statement

Hi,

I have been an avid reader of this site but have yet to post as my questions have always been answered already. So Thank you all... Today though i feel in a fog, everything has gone so smoothly for us, a diagnosis in 1/2 hour, a SENCO trained in ASD, part time 1:1 support for ds on school action plus, GP prescribing GF for my son. But now i have hit my mountain or it feels like that now. I had a meeting with ed pysch who agreed with senco and myself that s is bright but needs 1:1 support to access the curriculum. The problem we have is that our autism support worker who organises the funding at present for S turned up at the meeting - not formally invited. She announced that they are over budget and the funding is being withdrawn for his support worker and that she doesn't think S needs a statement as his needs can be met within the school's budget!! She was agitated that she hadn't been told that we are putting in for an assessment until today. What i wanted to ask is how much damage can one professional's opinion have on the outcome for a request for a statuory assessment especially when the ed psy supports us? :crying:

Thanks Mary

Hi Mary,

Welcome to the Forum >:D<<'> .

We were told by Alex's SENCO that Alex would never be assessed for a statement - he was. The SENCO and other school staff told us that Alex would never get a statement - he did. The SENCO and SEN Officer also told us that Alex would never get a place in the ASD unit - he did.

Guess who's smiling now :devil: .

Most of Alex's statement is taken from the Ed. Physc's report.

Hope this helps.

Annie

>:D<<'>

Mary,

The funding problems are not your concern, having S's needs met are. The autism Support Worker is wrong to discuss funding with you. They should know that as well.

XX

I had a meeting with ed pysch who agreed with senco and myself that s is bright but needs 1:1 support to access the curriculum.

Get this in writing.

The problem we have is that our autism support worker who organises the funding at present for S turned up at the meeting - not formally invited. She announced that they are over budget and the funding is being withdrawn for his support worker and that she doesn't think S needs a statement as his needs can be met within the school's budget!!

She is only one cog in the system for providing his support. The fact they have run short of funding is not an issue you need to comcern yourself with, that, is their problem. The LEA must assess his needs on the basis of his needs - not their ability to fund the support (I can give you numerous quotes to that effect if you need them). This is why it is important to get the minutes of these meeting in writing. These will show broad agreement of needs from those INVITED to attend. That makes it much harder to try to wriggle out of it.

Do not worry about their funding, concern yourself with the identification of his needs. Then worry about getting the support to address those needs.

Good luck.

Hi Mary and welcome to the forum.

Have to agree with Annie and phasmid on this one. If I have understood your post correctly even with the funding that the school were receiving they could not meet your child's needs from within their budget and the extra funding and had already decided to apply for a Statutory assessment. With the school and the EP on board it will be much harder for the LEA to refuse to assess. As phasmid says get the minutes of the meeting in writing and make sure this is included in them.

I agree with phasmid that the funding is not your concern. The LEA will be looking to see that the school has tried different methods of supporting your son and meeting his needs and has failed to do so with the resources available to them. When you or the school apply for assessment it will be very important to show both how the school has already tried to support him and why and how this has failed. It must be made very clear that the school has done everything possible to meet your son's needs from within their own resources and that without further input from the LEA there is no way that your son's needs can be met. Any evidence that you have that supports this line of argument should be used.

Good Luck

I agree , agree, and agree, we were told my the Head, Senco, that we would,nt get a statement and like Annie we did :) .The funding issue really isn,t someting that you have to address,it,s their problem, good luck with the assessment :thumbs: .

Thank you all, i had not thought to ask for minutes of the meeting. I will follow that up. I phoned the head yesterday to discuss how S's needs are going to be met on school action plus, to be told they have no provision for S beyond an hour a week with the SENCO and his class teacher with 11 hours of TA will just have to cope. I find it so hard knowing that next term, at least, he will not be able to cope with school and the progress he has made, may just disappear. We live in a different county to the school S attends and know that this adds time to the statementing process.

Thanks Mary

tez, phas & annie have said it all ...

Hi and welcome as well B)

Don't let people like this intimidate you they are working to their own agenda (a budget) its people like this that flomux parents and that is why this forum is soooo fantastic.

Good luck, there is loads of help and advice here, HHxx