Sign in to follow this  
madme

Gary Numan

i think all those numanoids had it sussed years ago when he wouldn't let anyone else do the vocals!

Even cedric (the monkey boy drummer) must have sung better than ol' GN!

L&P

BD

wow come to think of it yep, he never smiled did he? bless

While I was waiting for my diagnosis for AS, which I got last month, I did some research on the net.

There are LOADS of celebs who have AS, or probably have had it.

In the past, your looking at both Einstein and Newton, the chemist Cavendish, the composers Bella Bartok and Beethoven, the author Jane Austen and the musician Nick Drake.

Present day: Bill Gates we all know about, but also the TV presenter and ex-Monty Python Michael Palin, the director Woody Allen the actors Keanu Reeves and Dan Ackroyd (Blues Brothers) the musician Michael Hefgot, amongst many, many others, including the aforementioned Gary Numan.

So, I am in good company!

PS Don't know about Harry Hill, but would not at all be surprised.

Edited by tinminer

I didn't think being a celebrity would be a good career path for people with ASD!

What about that street magic bloke?, the one who lived in a glass case under Tower Bridge... can't remember his name!! I'm sure he is ASD. I saw him on GMTV years ago and he was a tad uncommunicative :unsure: (ie he met the presenters questions with an intense blank stare).

Lauren

He painted a eye on the palm of his hand and gave Eammon Holmes a real difficult time during an interview (he hardly spoke).............so AS or not respect to him cos I,m not a fan of Eammon :shame:

Hmmmmmm quite possibly - i hadn't thought of him.

Someone said Derran Brown is an Aspie - you know the fellow who does all those tricks. Seems to have an amazing memory......

Oh, i dunno :wacko: - does make you wonder though!! :rolleyes:

He painted a eye on the palm of his hand and gave Eammon Holmes a real difficult time during an interview (he hardly spoke).............so AS or not respect to him cos I,m not a fan of Eammon :shame:

Suze, me neither! I thought it was really funny, I forgot about the eye bit, I remember now and Eamonn Holmes is such a twit he didn't know what to do with himself. Wonder what DB's doing these days? Haven't heard a thing about him since he came out of that glass box.

Lauren

:devil:

Tinminer, being the deviol's advocate here but,

'Once an Aspie always an Aspie!'

And if Gary Numan is an aspie, then it just goes to show that not all aspies

are talented!

A list of people with ASD's can be found here.

Derren Brown lives alone and isn't in a relationship, whether or not this has a bearing on him perhaps having AS or not I don't know. I wonder if there's a connection that Woody Allen is my favourite director of all time or not? I heard that Peter Sellers may have had AS and John Lennon was reputed to possess quite a few key AS traits.

Come to think of it, being a gary numan fan he never did smile and in most interviews if i remember rightly he did not make eye contact. What a shame if he has only just been diagnosed all these years of being misunderstood.

:devil:

Tinminer, being the deviol's advocate here but,

'Once an Aspie always an Aspie!'

And if Gary Numan is an aspie, then it just goes to show that not all aspies

are talented!

I think you got the wrong idea with my post. By myself saying people 'who have AS, or used to have AS' I was refering to people now alive, and people that are now dead.

Of course, you are born with AS - it never goes away - it is an intrinsic part of who you are.

Regarding Gary Numan and musical talent, check out his early stuff with Tubeway Army, and some of his later output. Although he may not have the best vocals going, his musical writing (i.e. sequences of notes) is totally unique in style, and he definately has talent. I am not a big fan, but he has made a significant contribution to electronic music.

I didn't think being a celebrity would be a good career path for people with ASD!

I am not so sure. I can easily give a talk to 1,000 people while on stage (I know, 'cos I've done it!). I wasn't scared at all, as I had re-hearsed what I was going to say.

I think that musicians and actors who have AS become totally immersed in the part or performance that the nerves are unaffected.

However, put us in a room with complete strangers, and ask us to make 'small-talk'....

:tearful:

That truly is the stuff of nightmares!

This is where the whole 'celebrity' thing is a pile of rubbish. If people are famous for doing something (writing/singing/acting/performing etc), then that's fine. But, being famous just for being famous, well you need a huge EGO to do that, and people with AS don't have one of those! :P

I do. See the Panda?

I've been reading the book "Accidental Empires: Or how the innovators make their millions, battle foreign competition and still can't get a date" in bed, it's about the rise of Silicon Valley and a bit of an analysis of the industry pioneers themselves, including Bill Gates. And if you thought he is an Aspie, you really should read some of the things about the OTHER people that literally changed the way we live but aren't as rich or famous.

What it basically states is that the most creative and gifted minds in this particular industry don't care about money or fame in the traditional sense, but they are heavily ego-driven. Bill Gates was successful because whilst everyone else at the time wanted to make money they didn't have ambitions for their companies or products, Gates did; he imagined Microsoft existing a hundred years later. He did things basically because he always wanted to prove something, but not to anyone in particular. A problem would be presented, not neccessarily to him and he would still say "I can do that."

This is an Autistic trait definately, always having something to prove but not to anyone else. Which is why some Autistics get angry when people say "You did your best, it doesn't matter" or "Well I'm proud of you."

I am not so sure. I can easily give a talk to 1,000 people while on stage (I know, 'cos I've done it!). I wasn't scared at all, as I had re-hearsed what I was going to say.

I wonder if that's an Aspie thing. I have in the past found speaking in a conference hall infront of 1500 people to be a largely stress-free experience but I find it nerve-racking and incredibly difficult to start a conversation with someone sat opposite me on a train.

Simon

Me too!

Then if you try to explain to someone that okay you can talk on stage - i.e. make a bit of an exhibition of yourself - but find it virtually impossible to just 'chat' they don't believe it. I've spent my life telling people I'm painfully shy and they think I'm mad.

I know Gary's wife Gemma. She just thought he was shy when she met him. He apparently does have AS. Gemma met Gary at a Toyah gig. Toyah is dyslexic and dyspraxic.. I think there are a lot of people with some Neuro diversity in the world of entertainment. I was onstage the other night and I have to say I really prefer to be on stage than doing 1-1 with people. I think its the monologue aspect. It's easier to have a one sided conversation. You can look at peoples heads and avoid direct eye contact too. :thumbs:

My as daughter dances and acts.She danced at the NIA a couple of weekends ago in front of 8thousand people.Today i took her to the GP she wouldnt look or talk to the gp.I dont know why she can dance act ect in front of so many yet be so afraid in 1-1.I guess dance is the thing she loves and she will do anythink so long as shes dancing.

As a child I did a lot of dancing and acting.But tell me to go on stage and speak and i probably wouldn't be able to do it.I speak so fast that no one would be able to understand me anyway. :lol: