Sign in to follow this  
virtualvisual

Need a new car for Christmas

I guess if I ever needed an example of how differently my children cope with life then what happened to us on Sunday was the ultimate example. We'd just dropped my 6 yo stepson off at his mums and were about half a mile from home when another car smashed into us. The kids (bless them :wub: ) got out of the car and went to the verge when I told them to, waited patiently while I put out the flames that were coming out of our bonnet and hubby got the other driver out of his car.

No one was seriously hurt but thinking back on it the kids reactions were interesting. Alex (13 AS ADD) just stood and looked at the car and said "I guess I won't be getting on the xbox today then" :wacko: James (ADHD??) burst into tears and his twin Rosita was the only one who lay down and said she was sore. We all got a trip in the ambulance (hubby and Rosita were put on back boards) and got checked out, as soon as we got to the hospital Alex found the playstation and settled down to play. I'm now purple across the waist, Rosita has a couple of bruises but the boys and hubby haven't got a mark. The car is a write off (there's no front to it now but I'd recommend a zafira even though it got a fair whack the interior was intact but airbags leave an interesting odour :sick: )

Anyone got a spare car I can borrow for Christmas? :unsure:

No courtesy car if yours in written off so we're stuck for now. The one time I regret that brilliant idea we had of living in the middle of nowhere (6 miles to the nearest shop).

Looking at photos hubby took when he got our belongings from the car was a shock, I don't think it had sunk in til then just how lucky we all are. Oh well heres hoping the insurance company making us a decent offer as quick as possible or I'm gonna have to rent a car to take us down to visit my parents between Christmas and new year (the hotel is booked and non-refundable)

If you decide to hire a car ( I would ! ) then keep the receipt and claim it back it from the Third Party Insurers along with your excess amount - this is your uninsured losses that you are entitled to recover from any negligent parties.

They should at least pay for the hire of the car until you are in receipt of your settlement cheque from your own Insurers. Just makes life a bit easier as well - just don't hire a vehicle that is of a greater specification than your own ie best not bother with the Ferrari for now !

good luck >:D<<'>

Car accidents are horrible, really upsetting. I'm glad you're all reasonably unhurt.

Modern cars are designed to crumple to absorb the blow. This protects the people in the car.

Don't go replacing it with a Ford Focus. I smashed mine (unintentionally) into a wall at 40mph, and the airbags did not go off. This worries me somewhat, but I can't afford to replace it.

Pleased to hear you's are ok

I would agree with what has been said, when we had an accident 3 years ago we claimed a hire car from the other persons insurance, got it the same day we contacted them. With your situation, where you live etc it's not like you don't need a car is it.