Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Explaining Aspergers to siblings

Hello all,

I'm trying to find some printables (the family are not online..) for siblings of a child with Aspergers. Age range between 4 - 9. I've found books, forums etc... but nothing 'printable'!

Any ideas?

Thanks >:D<<'>

Hi Phas,

You link doesn't want to play :shame::lol:

I have had a moochy on NAS, couldn't find much in the way of a description that younger children would understand..

I'll keep hunting xx

Hello, Dont know if this will help at all http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageSer...=livingsiblings the people in question just need to adapt aspects of it.

My son and myself are both on the spectrum AS , Apparently as I mention on my own site within its forums that it seems siblings of a child / children with an ASD or other disability are much more likely to work within a caring role later in adult life, using all of their understanding of the disability in order to benifit others also.

feel free to have a look around my site http://www.colour-se7en.co.uk

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

I used 'Tacky the Penguin' as a starting point for explaining to 4-6 year olds when Sam started in mainstream when he moved from his old autistic special school.

Its not specifically about Aspergers but its a story of a very differant penguin who stands out amongst more normal penguin behaviours.

Sam still has his battered old copy and his cuddly penguin called guess what Sam the tacky penguin.

The books about Tacky can be found on Amazon if you run a google search.

You wil also find a heap of teaching resources based around Tacky aimmed at raising awareness of 'differances' and 'ethical responses' to 'differances' aimmed at Infant school children.

Not all will be helpful but it should give you some ideas in how to begin to communicate.

Sam also suggests you use Disney's 'The Increadibles' . Sam identifies with Dash being forced to be normal when all he wants to do is run around and work maths like crazy.

Jo says the phrase 'What does anyone in this family know about normal' rings true too.

Hope those help.