Sign in to follow this  
moncs

Board Maker

I am interested in boardmaker but I don't really know where to get it . information from the internet claimes boardmaker and widgit use the same pictures. Has anyone used it , where did you buy it and how much if its' not too cheeky. The ones I looked at were all from USA and I am unseure if I would be able to use int on my PC surely I must be able to buy it in Britain .

I am keen to use it for my son but I also want to try some ideas wth some pupils in my class . I f anyone has other ideas please let me know.

Thanks monica

Widget make the software for boardmaker.

Depending on what you want and how deep your pockets are you can start with Pics for PECS for about �35, Writing with Symbols is about �160 that but has a lot more to it.

Widget make the software for boardmaker.

Depending on what you want and how deep your pockets are you can start with Pics for PECS for about �35, Writing with Symbols is about �160 that but has a lot more to it.

Thats not 100% true. Boardmaker is made by a company called Mayer-Johnson, an American company, but is distributed by a number of British outlets. Boardmaker use symbols called PCS.

Writing with Symbols is made by a company called Widgit. This piece if software is far more dynamic and uses PCS and a symbol system called Rebus. You can also add Makaton Signs and Symbols to your Writing with Symbols Programme.

Here is a link for a Mayer-Johnson catalogue. The cost of Boardmaker is approximately �240.

Here is a link for a price list for Writing with Symbols 2000. The cost of this software depends on which symbols systems you want to add on. The basic package is �160 but rises to �370 with the Makaton system added.

Of course we need to pick the symbol system that supports your child in the most appropriate way. We need to measure where on the development of symbolic understanding your child is currently working at and use the symbols system that works at that level- this will ensure that we are not using symbols that are too difficult or too easy. Your SLT should be able to tell you more about which symbol system is the most appropriate system to use.

Edited by slt101

Mayer Johnson told me the software comes from Widget, slt101. Agree the WWS is more flexible to use, but I never had much trouble making my own. There's a great website that tells you how to do it http://trainland.tripod.com/pecs.htm

We're Dynamyte (actually a DV4, but the old name has stuck with us) users now. Anybody else using one?

Edited by call me jaded

Mayer Johnson told me the software comes from Widget, slt101.

Thats very interesting. On the Widgit website it still talks about the PCS coming from Mayer-Johnson.

I really love working with the Dynavox range of AAC devices, The Dynamytes new name is MT4. DV4 is the name for the full sized Dynavox device. Both are extremely good but also VERY expensive. The best way of working with them is to use a combination of symbol systems, testing your childs symbolic understanding at every level.

Yes, the symbols are copyright to MJ, but widget do the actual software writing. Maybe is was only the part I was asking about (I can't remember what)

We had a small Dynamyte first of all and 'graduated'. Funded by the Communication Aid Project.

Edited by call me jaded

Thanks I think I got the jist of that and then it got a bit echnical the basic pack is �35 i might try that one first Any ideas where I can buy it in Britain or do I have to buy it from USA ?

Monica

Thanks I think I got the jist of that and then it got a bit echnical the basic pack is �35 i might try that one first Any ideas where I can buy it in Britain or do I have to buy it from USA ?

Monica

http://www.pecs.org.uk/shop/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=6

Just so there's no misunderstanding, this is NOT the same product as Boardmaker. Depending on the ability of your pupils, thare's a good video from PECS about how to use their system for those that are (ahem, hate this phrase) lower functioning.

I started off with PECs and subsequently invested in the Boardmaker CDrom because the range of PECs pictures was quite limited. What I like about the Boardmaker product is that you can import pics you have grabbed from the internet, or clip art or even digital photos into their house style if they don't have the pic you want, and you can also change the text label on the pics to make it specific to the words you use at home. It is also easy to make schedules and timetables using their templates. Boardmaker is significantly more expensive, but I felt it was worth it, and I rarely use my PECs CD any more.

As you are planning to use it in part for your pupils, would school buy a copy for you, or at least chip in towards the cost of it?

Hi Emum , I don't think my school would buy it since we are new and our budget is very scarce. I would like to use it for my son and it would also be useful for my studies .

thanks Moncs