Lufty

Chat Room

Chatroom  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a chatroom on the forum ?

• Yes - All the time
    • Yes - But only when moderated
    • Yes - For special occasions
    • No

Dear All

We now have the possiblity of creating a chatroom on the forum. I know that some people are in favour and some people are opposed to the idea.

For obvious reasons (we can not be online 24 hours a day) the chatroom would be unmoderated and therefore we would not have the tight control that is currently exercised over the forum.

What I am saying is that the chatroom would be open to potential abuse and it would be down to each and every member to follow the rules we have for the forum when using the chatroom.

So I have created a poll for you the forum members to have your say.

A final decision will then be taken by the hosts.

Kind regards

Lufty

what about having a few part time mods,people that are online quite alot and can share mod duties?im in favour of having a chat room for unrelated topics :)

I voted yes but only when moderated.

We may need some new volunteer moderators specifically for the chat rooms, but it is probably a sensible precaution, at least to begin with

I like the idea of scheduled 'theme' chats around certain topics, e.g. 'discussion of statementing issues in chat at 9.00 on Wednesday next week' or whatever.

I have a feeling that a 'Batcave Chatroom' would be a very strange place indeed! :huh:

BatChat is a great term though!

Simon

Why is that thing being bumped by an invisible hand?

See? It's doing it again!

It gets bumped to the top every time someone votes, even if they don't post.

Simon

Not sure how to vote really. I don't have any experience of chatrooms so I can't really comment on whether or not it would be a good thing. I prefer a more leisurely method of communication myself but I'm happy to try it out. Would a chatroom add anything we don't already have?

I voted for all the time. I have belonged to a few other chat rooms and it didn't work very well only having certain times - it is hard for any of us to guarantee being available at given times.

I still use one chat room - it is open all the time, but most people will be found there during late evening.

It is an ISP one, so we have access to hosts when necessary - which is not often (just a few people that get the wrong idea about the room name "special needs" - lol!).

Karen

Guest flutter

i think if it just us, we are pretty good at self moderating

i have used another site that gets soo messy, but only cos peeps for get to take others into considerations

i will supposrt anyway i can

C xx

i luvs the spell check :clap::clap::clap:

I think there's an inherent problem with a chat room with lots of different moderators, and that is that different people have completely different ideas about what does or doesn't constitiute 'immoderate' behaviour... Getting all technical, it's known as the 'interactional paradigm' i.e. that the 'judgement' placed on any particular action is governed by the psychological make-up and expectations of the observer, and the 'consequence' is dependent upon the 'position' and relationship of the actor/observer...

Personally, I think you have to start with an understanding and expectation that people will act with consideration for others, and assess the need (or otherwise) for moderators from the working model.

So, in a nutshell, an open chatroom at the outset with all users taking an active part in keeping it that way. if it doesn't work that way, then a moderated chatroom at specific times, and if that runs into problems - back to typing!

L&P

BD

I love the idea of a chat room but personally I need to feel "safe" with that.I don't want to use a chat room and get upset by "nasty " things because if that happened I doubt I would use this forum again. I really appreciate all the help and support I have found here and do feel safe using this forum.With clearly defined rules for using the chat room e.g nothing explicit ,racist etc, and having a moderator to "complain " to if something was getting out of hand, then a chat room would work well, I think.

Bid, you would still have to type, it's just a diferent sort of thing to what we have now.

Anyone who wants to chat to a friend can go into a chatroom and have one to one "conversations" or group "chats"

It's hard to explain, maybe someone else can help.

Viper.

I do really know how chat rooms work! :lol:;)

I meant that when you are just typing, you have time to reflect, or change what you have written...as opposed to 'live' typing where i would get in a fluster! :o:blink:

Bid :unsure:

My fear is that if we have a chatroom we will lose the feeling of community that has been built up over time and which is such a big part of this forum. My experience of other forums (not ASD) is that chatrooms tend to be frequented by the more established members and therefore a hierarchy is created with various cliques who chat among themselves and others who are excluded.

What we have now is a place where everyone feels welcome and listened to whether they are making their 1st post or their 1000th. It would be a pity to lose that. For those who wish to talk privately - we still have a very efficient pm system - and there's always the phone..

K

I thought you were more intelligent than that Bid, sorry to insult your intelligence :lol:

I know what you mean, with my atrocious spelling I need to spell check things before posting, and my lack of tact, I would offend everyone and get banned inside a week. I think it's a AS thing, I say things before I engage my brain, then realize how upsetting I could seem. Sounds very AS but I an supposed to be "normal" I do wonder.

Viper.

I agree with whats been said, whilst on the forum you can respond to a thread or not if you choose, you also have time to word your post correctly, also for members who do not wish to visit the chat room then they may miss out on some info that would have been valuable to them.

I like the forum as it is, there is a mixture of serious threads, humerous threads and general threads, I enjoy reading them all and have picked up lots of info that I would otherwise not known. I know it's been mentioned about having 'topics' on particular times, but if youre not able to chat at that time then you will miss out.

Sorry, I know some want a chat room, but it's each to their own I suppose.

Brook :)

I suppose what is being said is 'If it ain't broke then don't fix it!' Krism is certainly not broken it's the best so how do you improve on perfection? And no I am not just saying that to make you all feel :sick: I actually believe it.

Carole

Kathryn you have explained it beautifully. I couldn't understand why I didn't want a chat room but now I know. It's the fear of losing what we already have.

Nellie xx

I must admit, I did answer ''a moderated one', but after reading Kathryn's thread I've changed my mind. We've got a great place here, why change it???

Annie is right i dont like chatrooms enyway its all to fast and you get lost :( no i like it as things are

I think its hard to know how it will work and maybe if enough people are for it a trial run would be a good way to start. I don't know the more I think about it I am not sure any more. I feel at the moment you can type a comment or question and walk away and come back when you please. I think I may feel embarrised if I was actually "chatting" to someone.

I too voted for a moderated forum, I would have been happy to help moderate it if need be (I moderated another forum for some years). However I think Kathryns comments have just changed my mind. Krism as it stands has something special about it. Fiddle too much and we may risk losing that. Can I re-cast my vote as a 'non'?

I think its hard to know how it will work and maybe if enough people are for it a trial run would be a good way to start. I don't know the more I think about it I am not sure any more. I feel at the moment you can type a comment or question and walk away and come back when you please. I think I may feel embarrised if I was actually "chatting" to someone.

Hi DAS999

We could indeed run a chat room as a trial and then gauge the feedback of all members.

Kind regards

Lufty

Phasmid,

Krism as it stands has something special about it. Fiddle too much and we may risk losing that.

I agree with you. We may also risk losing Krism's excellent reputation which has taken a long time to earn.

Lufty,

Changing the subject. Would it be possible to have an area of the forum designated to O/T - Off Topic (topics not relating to ASD).

Nellie xx

OT = Off topic!!! Thank you Nels,...that had been winding me up for ages!! I wondered what the OT meant! Initially I thought there were loads of posts regarding Occupational Therapists!!!! Doh!! xx

Phasmid,

I agree with you. We may also risk losing Krism's excellent reputation which has taken a long time to earn.

Lufty,

Changing the subject. Would it be possible to have an area of the forum designated to O/T - Off Topic (topics not relating to ASD).

Nellie xx

Dear Nellie

As a result of your post being largely off topic could you please post it in the appropiate off topic folder :P

Lufty

If you really wanted to talk like that then get msn and swap addresses then you can talk about the forum without making any changes to it !

There is one thing wrong with that it does cause problems with viruses but thats only if you send things they carry viruses form the senders computer to the receivers computer without even knowing they are there unless norton tells you but if you don't send anything then it wouldn't happen.

Another problem with it it cant be watched over like the forum!

heres the link : MSN

Dodobird

Edited by dodobird

:rolleyes: Well I foolishly voted for the wrong option on Christmas Eve, and Lufty tells me he can't change that vote nor undo it! :wallbash: So ... in your heads, just pretend the "Yes - All the time" option (the one I wanted to vote for!) is one more than what it says above, and the "Yes - But only when moderated" option (the one I accidentally voted for!) is one less than what it says above. :oops: Sorry! It really wasn't my fault though ... I mean I clicked on the option I wanted to vote for, just scrolled down to briefly skim-read over a few other people's comments before placing my vote, only to scroll back up, click to register my vote and find my selection had somehow changed!! :angry:

Anyway(!!) ... :whistle: ... the reasons for my (intended!) vote are simply that I don't think a chat room for this forum would actually need moderating, as we all seem to be reasonable individuals here. Very little negativity is ever experienced between anyone here, so as long as the chat room was restricted to existing members only, I can't see that there would be a problem really.

James

:rolleyes: Well I foolishly voted for the wrong option on Christmas Eve, and Lufty tells me he can't change that vote nor undo it! :wallbash: So ... in your heads, just pretend the "Yes - All the time" option (the one I wanted to vote for!) is one more than what it says above, and the "Yes - But only when moderated" option (the one I accidentally voted for!) is one less than what it says above. :oops: Sorry! It really wasn't my fault though ... I mean I clicked on the option I wanted to vote for, just scrolled down to briefly skim-read over a few other people's comments before placing my vote, only to scroll back up, click to register my vote and find my selection had somehow changed!! :angry:

Anyway(!!) ... :whistle: ... the reasons for my (intended!) vote are simply that I don't think a chat room for this forum would actually need moderating, as we all seem to be reasonable individuals here. Very little negativity is ever experienced between anyone here, so as long as the chat room was restricted to existing members only, I can't see that there would be a problem really.

James

Hi Gordie

I think I have found a way to allow you to vote again in this Poll. Please see if the system now allows you to vote again and let me know.

Kind regards

Lufty

I think I have found a way to allow you to vote again in this Poll. Please see if the system now allows you to vote again and let me know.

Yep! It worked! :bounce: Thank you! :)

Does that mean I've now placed 2 votes in this poll though (one for 2 different options), or just this latest vote? :unsure:

James

Yep! It worked! :bounce: Thank you! :)

Does that mean I've now placed 2 votes in this poll though (one for 2 different options), or just this latest vote? :unsure:

James

Hi Gordie

No only your latest vote counts

Kind regards

Lufty

i like the idea of a chatroom but when i went on another one once i felt very out of it,like it was a bit clickely,if you know what i mean,the same people were always on it like they had a special friendship and i felt very left out,i hope that makes sense,as this forum is now i feel like everyone are friends,equals sort of,with a chatroom the more confident people seem to chat more,thats what i feel anyway,i just cant seem to explain it very well!!