Lufty

Chat Room

Chatroom  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a chatroom on the forum ?

• Yes - All the time
    • Yes - But only when moderated
    • Yes - For special occasions
    • No

I went with the moderated option. I could see disputes happening by mistake on an unmoderated forum and it would be easy for people to accidently put up information the forum doesn't allow. I know I've made that mistake on the main forum a couple of times. Also could see flame wars happening. Even sensible people can get into an arguement over something which can then quickly degrade. At least on here we are talking about a higher percentage of adults though. Main forum I can think of that had this was a gaming one. Having said that I'd let Baddad and Hev flame all they want. Their posts (digs at each other) are intelligent and funny. :) The other disadvantage I guess is that a chat room I think only keeps the posts for so long. Hence in the future any useful info. posted on there won't be available to others.

hi i havent voted yet cos im thinking about it but i am on msn quite a lot.

and we have had problems on another site with chating...

does everyone realise that when you get a group of people who have behavioural problems and aspergers that erm the have barneys fall out and squable... :crying:

.i mean really...really argue... :tearful:

as someone who has watched others not everyone is polite.and erm the virtual world isnt real life.

but for some they dont understand and it can cause real misunderstandings...

for example..bleather blether blether....can we meet up?...no !why not?because i dont know you?but we have been talking for weeks?still erm no because i dont know you?but we do know each other ?no we dont.....

i have seen others meet up hate each other and continue it on the forum?

then what happens?

well the admin team have to chuck them both out cos they both become nutters?

i suppose its worth a trial.

but things will be tricky for the admin team and i have to say it is a huge amount of work....

just like having a kids or teenagers board again a huge undertaking and lots of responibilities for the admin team who work very hard as it is.i think everything has to be moderated when it is live as people can get very hurt.by small things.sorry for going on a bit.

love noogsy

i think maybe a for and against list with the reasons and it might become clearer. :rolleyes:

My fear is that if we have a chatroom we will lose the feeling of community that has been built up over time and which is such a big part of this forum. My experience of other forums (not ASD) is that chatrooms tend to be frequented by the more established members and therefore a hierarchy is created with various cliques who chat among themselves and others who are excluded.

What we have now is a place where everyone feels welcome and listened to whether they are making their 1st post or their 1000th. It would be a pity to lose that. For those who wish to talk privately - we still have a very efficient pm system - and there's always the phone..

K

I really wasn't sure how to vote but after read your reply Kathryn I agree with what you've said, we have a very unique thing lets keep it that way!!!

Dear All

We now have the possiblity of creating a chatroom on the forum. I know that some people are in favour and some people are opposed to the idea.

For obvious reasons (we can not be online 24 hours a day) the chatroom would be unmoderated and therefore we would not have the tight control that is currently exercised over the forum.

What I am saying is that the chatroom would be open to potential abuse and it would be down to each and every member to follow the rules we have for the forum when using the chatroom.

So I have created a poll for you the forum members to have your say.

A final decision will then be taken by the hosts.

Kind regards

I think a chat room could be very useful and would be happy to volunteer as a part time mod if required

Phil

so was the decision made not to have a chatroom then?