Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Book - Can i tell you about Aspergers....

Hullo you lot :D

I've been looking for something for M to read, Freaks, Geeks, is a bit old for him (he's 6). I've found a book called 'Can i tell you about Aspergers' by Judy Welton.

Has anyone read it? If so, was it any good?!

Thanks xx

I've been looking for something for M to read, Freaks, Geeks, is a bit old for him (he's 6). I've found a book called 'Can i tell you about Aspergers' by Judy Welton.

Thanks xx

Sorry haven't read that one (am currently reading freaks, geeks) but have you tried the curious incident of the dog in the night? There's a kid's version.

Thanks Caroline - ordered and on its way!! xx

I have read curious incident - way before my sons dx - i didnt realise there was a childs version - thanks opooh xx

Edited by smileymab

Thanks xx

Hi smileymab

Try "Blue Bottle Mystery : An Asperger Adventure" by Kathy Hoopmann

or the sequel

"Of Mice and Aliens: An Asperger Adventure" by Kathy Hoopmann

Both are excellent books for a six year old and generally available to order from book shops or online.

Kind regards

Lufty

Yes, have both 'Can I tell you about...' and 'Blue Bottle..'

Have given BB to my son to read just as a regular book and he has identified with a few things - we have not yet told him of dx.

I have 'Can I tell you...' on hand to give him, once we tell him, along with 'Freaks, Geeks...'

Would recommend them all

A

I could do with getting this book. Do's enyone know another website to get it. Amazon let me down last time i used them. waited three weeks for a book then got tolled they didn't have it thanks Alison

I could do with getting this book. Do's enyone know another website to get it. Amazon let me down last time i used them. waited three weeks for a book then got tolled they didn't have it thanks Alison

Hi adamsmum

Which book in particular are you looking for as there are several mentioned on this thread.

Kind regards

Lufty

Hi adamsmum,

I ordered 'can i tell you about aspergers..' from play.com

I ordered it on the 26th and it got to me today - very quick, plus the delivery is free on everything.

It is a great book.

Hope that helps

xxx

Hi adamsmum,

I ordered 'can i tell you about aspergers..' from play.com

I ordered it on the 26th and it got to me today - very quick, plus the delivery is free on everything.

It is a great book.

Hope that helps

xxx

Thanks this was the book i was on about should have been more specific. i do tend to think people know wot i'm on about with out being told :huh: Alison

wot kind of book is freaks and geeks is it eny good. I didn't know if i should read it to k. I heard lots of people say they read it

Hello everyone,

Freaks Geeks and Asperger Syndrome ( a users guide to Adolescence) by Luke Jackson An excellent book with the forward wriitten by Tony Attwood ISBN -10: 1-84310-098-3 on Jessica Kingsley Publishers . Draws on Lukes experiences as a teenager he tackles the subjects of bullying, friendships, telling others about AS

the site for Jessica Kingsley Publishers http://www.jkp.com

other books I feel may be of interst are as follows:-

Asparagus Dreams by Jessica Peers ISBN -978-1843100-164-2

I seem to remember the numbers alright I seem to think this is also on Jessica Kingsley Publishers .

In this book Jessica who is 12yrs old is aware she has something called 'asparagus syndrome' she is sent to a residential home, first unhappy fights a misguided teacher in the school. Jessica takes the reader through the difficulties and rewards of Aspergers.

Of Mice and aliens by Kathy Hoopmann ISBN 1-84310-007-X This is the sequel to Blue Bottle Mystery, a sci-fi novel where Ben - the hero learns to cope with his new diagnosis

What Does it mean to have Autism by Louise Spilsby ISBN 0-431-139-32-6 on Heinemann Press This book is aimed at young children who have just reicieved a diagnosis, how it affects lives and so on a good book to consider in my opinion.

I can name you plenty more in this area and other areas of Asperger's and Autism. I also have a few that I have listed on my site in the books heading within the site map http://www.colour-se7en.co.uk if you do visit let me know what you think. hope this helps in some way.

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

Edited by Steve_colour-se7en

Thanks for the ideas Steve, it's good to hear what's a good book - there are so many out there i could end up spending a fotune on terrible books!

Adamsmum - freaks, geeks... is supposed to be an excellent book (- i haven't read it though -) I think it will be a bit too old for my son to understand (he's only 6) - as it was written by, and aimed at teenage children.

xxx

I get loads of ebay and amazon for that matter.

Had a look at play.com will defanatly get can i tell you about asp and maybe freaks and geeks for me as people keep going on about it and i'm nosey :lol: K is only 7 but is delayed so acts like a 4-5 year old so do's enyone know what the best book for him is