Sign in to follow this  
jules40

More info on GF diet

Hi all!

I have'nt posted for a while but really am unsure at the moment about what to do for the best.

My 5yr old daughter has recurrent urine infections, and ear infections, and also suffers with really bad gas.

She is forever letting off wind and constantly belching. Her behaviour seems to be getting worse by the minute, she is constantly using bad language, and things just seem to be going from bad to worse.

She was diagnosed in July with ASD and co-morbid learning difficulties, and I am still trying to get to grips with the diagnosis and am still learning about it. She also has epilepsy and has to take medication daily.

I have read some of the posts about the gluten and casein free diets and would like to know some more about it. What sort of things would I take out from her diet if I were to start the gluten and casein free diet. She still has her milk in the morning, and eats yoghurts, stringy cheese, pasta, rice, and lots of other dairy but she does eat alot of fruit. I must admit she does tend to eat a lot of sweeties, which I know have a lot of additives.

I suppose what I really am asking is do I send off for the urine test to be done or just start off with the diet to see if there is some reduction in her urine problems, and behaviour problems.

Forgot to mention she is having an ultrasound scan again in January to see whether the urethra tubes are still 11mm and 12mm or have got smaller/bigger. Just wondering what the next step will be as she has been on antibiotics it seems every couple of weeks, and before long her body will become immune to them as she takes them so often.

Really would appreciate some advice.

Jules :rolleyes:

Hi there,

You would have to get the urine test done first before starting dietary intervention as otherwise the results may be affected. I had the test done and it said that my daughter didn't seem to have a problem with casein but she did with gluten. However I first of all removed all milk products from her diet and within 3 days her chronic constipation was gone and her distended stomach started to 'deflate'.

If your daughter is constantly on antibiotics I would imagine that her gut flora would be not in a very good state and you may wish to give her a dairy free pro-biotic to ehlip - Biocare do some good ones.

A great book to start is ' Dietary Intervention and Autism' by Marilyn Le Breton. It gives clear explanations and quite a few recipes- you can order it from Amazon. Good Luck.

Thanks Big Mama will look into the book you mentioned. I would like to know how I go about downloading the form from Sunderland University which apparently you have to fill in before they send you the kit.

Many thanks again

Jules

Hiya

I'm sorry to ask this question as it has been asked before but I can't find the answer. Can some-one please give me more details on Sunderland University with regards to information on the Gluten and Caisin free diet.

Basically I have two boys (7 & 14) who both have ASD, ODD and ADHD in differering degrees to each other. I am finding this very stressful and very tiring and not too sure what to do next, apart from contacting the Autistic Society which I have already done.

:wallbash:

hello Poppit,

Sorry I can't do links or anything but if your type - Autism Research Unit - Sunderland into your search engine then their website should come up and give you all the details you need.

If anyone else is reading this who can do links perhaps you'll be kind enough to do the needful ! :P

Hi Poppit -

Here's a link to the ARU Sunderland website

autism research unit

You'll find loads of info there about the diets and phone numbers etc...

Analysis can be done on the NHS if you've a supportive GP, but it's worth paying yourself if you suspect this might be a factor for your kids.

The analysis looks for 'peaks' in urine samples indicating intolerance to gluten and/or caseins (dairy). You are more likely to find these peaks where the child has a history of bowel/vomiting problems.

The diets can help people with AS/ASD in many ways, but you've probably read about that and the ARU site will tell it better than I can! The diets have been beneficial for my son, but i know others who haven't been helped at all.

While not wanting to challenge anyone elses beliefs, my own opinion is that these diets can HELP, but that claims about 'cure' are both unfounded and potentially harmful to the acceptance of AS/ASD within a wider social context.

Hope that's helpful...

If you'd like to ask anything more specific, feel free to PM me or post again here

L&P

BD :D

PS - by the time I'd accidenatally deleted and rewritten this post the link was already up! Sorry, Brook!

Edited by baddad

No problem Baddad, ;)

I have absolutely no knowledge on the subject, so your post was far more helpful than mine, I only searched

out a link.

Brook :)