Sign in to follow this  
something_different

Forum Abbreviations

I am not sure if this has already been done

If it has i have not noticed it

But i think it would be useful to have a list of all the forum abbreviations for new members

I know through use of other forums the meaning of

DD, DS, DH etc

but not everyone will

also all the abbreviations specific to this forum wich new comers will not be familiar with

Just an idea

it could maybe be pinned or next to the forum rules

If this has already been done somewhere i apologise

just i have not spotted it

oh thanx nellie i have not spotted that b4

I weas just thinking that would be a great idea too, as i am more familiar now with the abbreviations but it took a while , i didn't know they were here somewhere already.....tis late. :blink::wacko:

Hi,

You will find the Forum Jargon Buster here.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=329

I think there are plans to put it somewhere more prominent when the Techie guys find the time. We will consider any additions.

Nellie xx

Hi Nellie

Yes we are still planning to put a menu option to the "Forum Jargon Buster" but it is proving a little more complicated with the new software than we thought :-(

It will be there I promise soonish :oops:

Lufty

Hi Nellie

Yes we are still planning to put a menu option to the "Forum Jargon Buster" but it is proving a little more complicated with the new software than we thought :-(

It will be there I promise soonish

Lufty,

It has lots of important information for new members, especially benefit info., some people don't find out about this for years.

I'm sure you and Kris will do your very best.

Many many thanks for all your hard work.

Nellie xx

The Jargon Buster is up and running again :)

See the top right of each page (next to Help)

Kris

Lufty,

It has lots of important information for new members, especially benefit info., some people don't find out about this for years.

I'm sure you and Kris will do your very best.

Many many thanks for all your hard work.

Nellie xx

BRILLIANT

One last thing boss :notworthy: do you think we could have it in red........ p l e a s e?

Unfortunately thats a no! Due to the way that the Jargon Buster link is produced I cant insert the necessary code to turn the text red. Sorry.

If I think of a way then I'll let you know though.

Krisx

Well I think this is still a valid query.

The Jargon Buster we currently have only covers "on-topic" abbreviations - i.e. those related to ASDs, etc.

However something_different is asking about abbreviations common to all forums - the ones she mentions (DD, DS, DH, etc.) are not included in the Jargon Buster, and nor are any other general abbreviations (e.g. AFAIK, IIRC, IMHO, etc.).

So a "Forum Abbreviations" list would still be very useful, I think. :unsure:

James

Well I think this is still a valid query.

The Jargon Buster we currently have only covers "on-topic" abbreviations - i.e. those related to ASDs, etc.

However something_different is asking about abbreviations common to all forums - the ones she mentions (DD, DS, DH, etc.) are not included in the Jargon Buster, and nor are any other general abbreviations (e.g. AFAIK, IIRC, IMHO, etc.).

So a "Forum Abbreviations" list would still be very useful, I think. :unsure:

James

Hi Gordie

I think this is one for the moderators rather than techies to decide whethere the "Jargon Buster" should be enhanced to include other abbreviations.

Regards

Lufty

Hi Gordie,

Thanks for your input, we will give this some thought, (DD, DS, DH, etc.) are used a lot on the forum as are general abbreviations (e.g. AFAIK, IIRC, IMHO) but where do we stop? Do we include MSM - Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre? :D

What do others think? We would welcome your feedback.

Nellie xx

Hi Gordie,

Thanks for your input, we will give this some thought, (DD, DS, DH, etc.) are used a lot on the forum as are general abbreviations (e.g. AFAIK, IIRC, IMHO) but where do we stop? Do we include MSM - Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre? :D

What do others think? We would welcome your feedback.

Nellie xx

Hi Nellie

What about a different section to the Jargon Buster, but one where anyone who uses an abbreviation can add it to the list? This way the Moderators won't be inundated with requests.

A

Thanks for giving this some thought, nellie - I appreciate it. >:D<<'>

Yeah - where to stop with something like this would be a difficult one! :blink:

But what D's Mum says is a good idea - making this list of abbreviations separate to the Jargon Buster (but on the same menu bar, presumably alongside it), and allowing it to be openly added to by any user.

James

EDIT: :oops: I see you've gone ahead and done it, nellie! :lol: (Still, I think having it added to the menu bar, next to the Jargon Buster, would be great though. :D)

Edited by Gordie