Sign in to follow this  
trd

need a book

Hi

As an adult recently as diagnosed i'm looking for a book to give to family and friends who are interested and want more info.

Only problem is all books i read really focus on childhood. It would be a great help if there was a book more about as in adults. I know the childhood stuff is essential but it can be a barrier when showing people information that applies to me in books...they see the child bit and get confused i reckon.

Any ideas?

Hi Trd,

'The Autistic Spectrum' by Lorna Wing is a good book. In it, Lorna covers all age groups rather than just children. She also explains what services are available for children AND adults (plus sections on living accommodation, employment and marriage) and the roles of professional workers.

It costs ?9.99. I brought mine from Books etc. (sorry if I shouldn't have named the shop, please delete if I shouldn't have).

Edited by annie

Hi Trd,

'The Autistic Spectrum' by Lorna Wing is a good book. In it, Lorna covers all age groups rather than just children. She also explains what services are available for children AND adults (plus sections on living accommodation, employment and marriage) and the roles of professional workers.

It costs ?9.99. I brought mine from Books etc. (sorry if I shouldn't have named the shop, please delete if I shouldn't have).

Thanks for help.

I have actually got that book; just reviewed it and I guess it does the job okay.

Still seems like there needs to be a more adult based autism guide though...perhaps thats just me.

Thanks again.

it maybe better to print off information from the internet and put together your own booklet,like you say most books are geared around childhood autism,at least if you do that you can choose exactly which information is relevant to you. :)