Sign in to follow this  
LizC

clothes or should I say lack of

Hi sorry to be bombarding with loads questions tonight especially as I have just joined, but hey you know how it is!

Matthew hardly ever likes to wear clothes, if he is at home (or even the granparents) he takes off his clothes leaving just his pants on, he hates to be restricted and alos does it at bed time too, just sleeps with his pull ups on (still not done at night yet) are any of your kids like this?

also he has certain clothes, when he does wear them, that he will only wear, particularly stripes, he won't wear the majority of clothes he has (thankfully just ones that have been passed on) he won't wear fluffy jogging bottoms or fleecey items and can't stand tags in clothes as they 'hurt' him, he seems very sensitive and leave red marks on him too, he is very fussy with his uniform for school too. he has a coat that he will wear but it is getting rather old now and the zip is bust but he won't wear any other. he seems to get persessive over certain things and when you get him something new (like new shoes) it takes him a while to get used to them and gets all worked up over them.

are any of your kids like this, I am sure they are as they are very classic symptoms of AS but just curious! :)

hi thank you for that!! very intertesting, they all seem to have some issues/obsessions regarding clothing don't they and not always the same! lol

oh yes another is that usually M won't wear a coat even when it is freezing (sometime he puts it on) but alot of the time he just doesn't seem to feel the cold or if he puts gloves on then he can't put his coat on at the same time. certain clothes and coats 'hurt' him.

Hi,

It's very common amongst children with ASD. My son (7) is always stripping off and will only wear certain clothes. He refuses to wear denim, because it "hurts" and he is always cutting labels out of clothes.

We have problems with new clothes too, especially shoes. When we need new shoes, he always wants the same style that he already has.

Loulou x

Yes Lewis is exactly the same, he hates clothes and as soon as he's home he strips! And he won't wear a jacket in the middle of winter and never seems to feel the cold. It is sensory, and if it doesn't bother him and unless it's not freezing or raining i don't insist he wears it either, he's not being naughty he genuinley can't stand it. someone suggested tight lycra under clothes, you know like those cycling tops you see folk wearing in the tour de france............. it' s meant to help. Haven't tried it but things have gotten better with Lew and the stripping off, it just isn't always appropriate and with the help of social stories he is mostly clothed!!!

And never be afraid to ask advice, thats why we're here.

Take care,

Love Kirstie. >:D<<'>

Must be something to do with the name my Matthew is sitting here now wearing only his pants :o He's still wide awake and raring to see in the New Year.

Seriously both of my sons hate wearing clothes. We do have a dress code that we operate now. When it's this late and only us then I will accept pants - from the youngest - the eldest wears shorts. During the day then they must both wear shorts in the sitting room but can wear what they like in their own rooms. Matthew is not nearly so bad since he hit eight. He promised us that we he was eight he would stop taking his clothes off everywhere - including shopping centres - and he has :)

Carole

Must be something to do with the name my Matthew is sitting here now wearing only his pants :o He's still wide awake and raring to see in the New Year.

Seriously both of my sons hate wearing clothes. We do have a dress code that we operate now. When it's this late and only us then I will accept pants - from the youngest - the eldest wears shorts. During the day then they must both wear shorts in the sitting room but can wear what they like in their own rooms. Matthew is not nearly so bad since he hit eight. He promised us that we he was eight he would stop taking his clothes off everywhere - including shopping centres - and he has :)

Carole

Seems pretty common with ASDs. Even though i'm an adult i am still funny about clothes. Won't wear jumpers even when its freezing outside. Tend to prefer a limited wardrobe.

When I was younger I was sensitve to the feel of materials like denim in particular...wont wear it at all and am wary of touching it.

The smell of the clothes material can put me off too...especially leather and new clothes.

After reading these posts I realise that clothes are also an issue for my son. He hates getting dressed and does it only for going out, ie school or a very special occasion. We have as a rule to be dressed at the table for tea and he usually puts on a pair of trousers and a T shirt, but then after eating he takes his pants, shoes and socks off and says that he feels more comfortable. If I insist that he wears something to avoid catching a cold, he gets his duvet from his bed and wears it as a cloak.

Gloria

:oops: He takes off his trousers not his pants... :lol:

My neighbours wonder why my blinds are shut 99% of the time, but with a 7 year old who is starkers majority of the day and likes bouncing inc in front of the window, thats my reason.

My son strips every time he goes to the toilet, can be chaos on a school morning as I will dress him once then sometimes he goes up to 3 times, so I have to dress him over and over again. I think this is also the main reason he won't use other peoples toilets.

I am managing to get him to keep a vest or TShirt on for a couple of hours over the holidays which is an improvement.

My daughter is sensitive too but not as bad now. She usually just strips down to do her dance dvd which the woemen do in swimsuits. Have you looked at the out of sync child has fun by carol kranowitz? Has some good ideas for sensory integration dsyfunction.

My neighbours wonder why my blinds are shut 99% of the time

Come and be my neighbour. I would not notice as my blinds are closed mostof the time :lol: It's not just thye clothes, or lack of them issue, Matthew hates the idea of people being able to see inside of our house. It drive him wild. So we keep em closed.

Carole

Yep, windows, people watching, and incase someone opens it or a fly sneaks through the gap. But I get blinded when I leave the house as I am not used to the light.

I would just like to say i am the mad looking woman running around after my 8 year old waving a t shirt screaming "please put some clothes on"!

Oh how familiar!

M has to wear the same items of clothes everyday. i have to wash them at night during the school hols and tumble dry them so they are dry for the next day. Thats if he will get dressed at all.

He also hates new shoes or new anything. :(

When he puts his coat on for school you would think i had put a noose round his neck the way he chokes and gags that the clothes are too close to his neck!

Yes I know how you feel!

Eoghann is the same and wears very little around the house. He is sensitive to labels and socks annoy him. He can wear the oddest combination of clothes and likes nothing better than a pair of shorts in winter!! He very rarely wears jammies at night. Mind you a few nights ago I told him to put jammies on so very obediently he put them on...over the clothes he was wearingLOL!!!

Carrie

Lewis is the same about stripping off when he goes to the toilet, he isn't as bad as he used to be but still does it at times. He wouldn't use the Nursery toilet ever, i wonder why that is!