Sign in to follow this  
lindy-lou

molloscum

just before india saw the consultant for the 1st time she had a small blistery type spot on her tummy,i thought straight away it was molloscum contagiosum as my nephew had quite a few on his face when he was small,they went away but have left him with some small deep scars,anyway in the last week the molloscum on indys tummy have spread like wildfire and she now has loads,also she has a scratch at the top of her hip and the molloscum have formed a line down it,its gross, :crying: i hate spots of any type,they freak me out,im going back to the GP about it and also to get some iron supplements as ive had a letter saying her initial blood results show she's anaemic,i just wondered if the molloscum has any link to either ASD or anaemia?and if theres anything i can do to get rid of it.

My little girl (non-AS) had it for almost a year - I hated the spots, and had to keep an eye out all the time in case she repeatedly scratched them and they caused scars. the spots didn't bother her - they didn't itch or anything, and my doctor said it was a virus which would eventually be beaten by her immune system in 6-12 months. He said you can treat some of the blisters, but didn't recommend it, as this can cause scars. In the end we just put up with them until they went away.

thanks elanor,they are horrible arent they,the consultant said they would just go on their own accord but she didnt have so many of them then,i will show the GP when we get an appointment(which is nigh on impossible here)

Hi Lindy-Lou

My ASD daughter had very bad molloscum for about 14 months - it regularly became infected and was a complete nightmare in summer. After 2 visits to homepath to boost her immune system they disappeared

almost overnight - worth a go if all else fails !

My two children(n.t.) had this for years this is no word of a lie.My daughter actually had one in a hair which left her with a slight balsd spot the size of a penny piece.She did seem to get it after her autistic encephalitus so i was told it was an immune system thing.My son caught it from her more or less as he was born.He is three and a half and still has one spot left!It has left him with small pock marks on his tummy, but my daughter was left with no scaring apart from a tiny bald spot in her hair.i think you just have to wait for it to go away.From what i remember sometimes the blisters did become infected.Yuk!!! :(

Guest flutter

just had a look at pics of it and i think both my kids had it at same time a few years ago, i thought it was a staff thing. We had to wahs them in hibiscrub :angry:

but then someone recomened tea tree oil? and that helped a bit

thanks for your replies,i doubt theres much i can do about them,they just look so eurghhhh.,they are contagious though,i think my DH may have some on his legs too :(

Molluscum is really common, it's due to a virus which causes the spots. The spots are harmless usually so the body 'ignores' the virus for a time before making an immune response and getting rid of the spots. Because of this the spots can hang around for several mths. Most kids get it at some point in their childhood, it's very common. The main thing with them is that they can occasionally get infected and are worse in kids with eczema. They are usually not treated as they disappear eventually, They can be treated with freezing or pricking them but this can be quite painful so usually not done and best to elt nature take its course.

My 4yr old son was anaemic and has still iron stores in his boots. His poos are often pale and sticky, think he has that ASD-type bowel thing and I wodner if he's low in iron due to malabsorption. We also have family history of dairy intolerance and since we've put him on a dairy-light diet his poos are much more normal. I keep forgetting to give him his iron medicine but must try better. Low iron can affect brain functioning and cause greater problems in learning so it's important to ge this stores up. Must do better!#

Liz x

thanks liz,sound info there,indias poos look normal to me,she herself is very pail though,she definatley doesnt have the lethargy that goes with anaemia so i dont think its too bad,i will try and encourage some more iron rich foods in her diet though as well as the supplement from the docs,i know the molloscum are common and harmless,they just look horrid so would like to speed up there departure if possible!! :thumbs:

OOOh i've never heard of those before. My eldest (nt) has had little spots along his jawline since he was about 2 (he's 13) They don't look like blisters though, just pale spots. He picked a couple once and they have left really deep little holes. He also had really bad eczema as a baby! Does this sound the same?

they just look horrid so would like to speed up there departure if possible!!

Let her have a gentle scratch! This sometimes triggers the immune system into getting rid of them. Tea tree oil is supposed to be good if they get a bit red

Lx

OOOh i've never heard of those before. My eldest (nt) has had little spots along his jawline since he was about 2 (he's 13) They don't look like blisters though, just pale spots. He picked a couple once and they have left really deep little holes. He also had really bad eczema as a baby! Does this sound the same?

yes it does sound like them,some of indys look more blister like than others.

Let her have a gentle scratch! This sometimes triggers the immune system into getting rid of them. Tea tree oil is supposed to be good if they get a bit red

Lx

they dont seem to bother her at all,she doesnt notice them at all so i dont think there itchy,i will try the teatree oil though,do you know why they seem to have attached themselves to a scratch as theres a long line of them down a scratch at the top of her hip??