Sign in to follow this  
Auriel

Foruming

can't i send PMs to people?

and why is my name highlighted?

Is it because i am under 18?

surely highlighting us is a negative thing?

people under the age of 18 especially those on the spectrum are more vulnerable than others,the site has a duty to protect them from unwanted messages,there are people in our world who could target a site like this with vulnerable people on it and use it to their own advantages,so the disabled PM facility is there to try and protect you from this.

I do belive that there are better places for such people to go, and i do belive that it is somewhat generalising to say that, so could i perhaps make a case, i.e get bid to say other wise and get it un didled?

Also, is it being said that, no one having met me, the fact that i'm on the spectrum means that i am more vunerable than a normal person?

So it is to protect me, yet the under 18s are highlighted from the crowd.

I was going to start a new topic on this, but i think it is quite shocking that under 18s can't send pms.

I think maybe under 16s but i mean

shocking.

I think its a noble idea, but I have to agree with Auriel that if your intent is to protect us then you shouldunt singal us out like that, maybe if you could make it so it doseunt tell other posters that your under 18?

Edited by Gilbo

But there is the suggestion that those with as are more vunerable i think this is to much of a grouping and should thusly be removed from this conversation.

Edited by Auriel

I agree that it does show that you are under 18 and perhaps the under 16 would be better but there are some people that kids on the net need protecting from, Asd or not.

Take care >:D<<'>

The trouble is Auriel: say for instance you were not highlighted as an under 18/16 whatever and say the forum doesn't print your birthday date you would probably think you were safe because no one knows who you are anyway.

Sadly this is not true - there are some wierd people about who happily sit and scan forums like this type where young people often post. Young people are easy to identify on forums, they have a way of speaking, shortcut talk, certain words etc that older people do not use.

I have five kids and I watch at least four of them using MSN and the talk is very identifiable. It doesn't take long for wierdos to tune into young person talk and equally to copy it, pretending to be another young person when they are infact a 40 year old wierdo.

The decision to block the PM and E-Mail facility is for your safety and that works both ways.

Sorry, Child Protection Act 1989 and all that.

Hiya Gilbo/Auriel -

Gilbo - nice to have you back, me ol' fruitbat!! Hopefully you'll last a bit longer this time :lol::lol::lol:;)

I'd totally agree with you that making assumptions about vulnerability because of your AS/ASD 'status' would be totally wrong...I hope you both will appreciate that the age limit has nothing whatsoever to do with perceptions of ASD's but is made on the basis of 'legal definitions' of adolescence/adulthood. Understand where you're coming from, but not sure how we could meet two sets of differing imperatives - IE to make the forum more 'accessible' and to ensure that younger members weren't vulnerable...

Not sure whether the age restrictions are 'set' within power board (could be software that sets the 18 years bit), but will try and find out, OK?

Nice album artwork, G, ... FWIW i always thought DD knocked 'Ziggy' into a cocked hat: Love the segueway between 'candidate' and 'rebel rebel', and 'COTECSF' is daft bu still gets my pulse racing! Best bowie album? Lodger - now there's controversial!!

Oh - I heard a got a copy of 'Dandy Warhols' today - ask him nicely he might let you listen!

L&P

BD :D