Sign in to follow this  
Oreo Cookie

Going to see the lady

I am going to see a social worker on the 17th January 2006 at 9am. DAS got a phone call about it today. I don't think I wan to go but DAS said I have to. What will she do it me? Will she do a blood test?

No, she wont do a blood test. I think that all she will do is talk to you and see if there is anything that

she could help you with.

Brook >:D<<'>

Oreo, social workers are not like doctors or nurses, they don't do any tests. My son has a social worker and she is a very nice lady, she came to my house to see if we needed any help with Ben. She will ask you questions to see how she can help you.

Viper.

Edited by Viper

I don't know what she will ask. What are you going to see her about. Can Das tell you anything about it?

If you don't want to talk to her maybe you can use PEC's, or Das might be able to answer some of the questions if he knows the answers.

Viper.

It is a care assessment and to see what help would be appropreate. I do not have a clue what a care assessment is all about really apart from what i have been told on her so i really can't explain it to her. if any one wants to have a go feel free ;)

I don't really know what it is Das, all I can assume it is for is to see if there is any help they can give you in the home, like someone to check Oreo is ok when you are at work, maybe cook her a meal or even take her out sometimes.

I think some of the other members here would be able to help more, Nellie springs to mind.

Viper.

Guest flutter

hey oreo,

i think they will try and help you and das, they may try and help you with the stuff we talked about yesterday. We had a social worker when i grew up, all they did was to try and help us all

But she is NOT going to hurt you, she might ask you some questions, you can take your pecs, but you will be ok, cos once that is done you will go home again. When you get home you can tell me about it if you like:)

hope you both have a good day

C xx

DAS and Oreo,

I also found this on the NAS website (full link at bottom of page);

What will the assessment be like?

A social worker will visit you at home to carry out an assessment. They will complete some forms about how much care you need each day. They need to take into account a number of different factors when completing the assessment including:

Breadth of needs

The social worker should look at the impact of your needs on your day-to-day life, not at the needs alone. For example, if you have high levels of anxiety you may need someone to be with you to calm you down when you get agitated. You may also need help with going out to the shops or to work because these activities make you anxious. The assessment should be comprehensive and should include consideration of the following needs: personal/social care; health; accommodation; finance; education/employment/leisure; transport/access and any communication, psychological or other needs associated with the ASD you have.

Preferences

The social worker should try and find out what your likes and dislikes are. If you hate noise it would not be appropriate for the social worker to suggest you go to a day centre near a busy main road. If you find it hard to express your likes and dislikes then you may want a friend or advocate to be with you during the assessment. The social worker should also speak to your parents or carers to find out about your likes and dislikes. To find out more about advocates go to question 9.

Future needs

Even if you are coping OK at the moment the social worker needs to consider what needs you may have in the future. In the future the amount of care you need may change or the people who are caring for you at the moment may not be able to. Because your needs may well change the SSD should arrange a review of the care plan and the services you are being offered at least once a year.

SSDs all carry out community care assessments slightly differently. This means that we cannot say for sure what questions you will be asked or how long it will take.

If you have health problems or do not have suitable housing, your social worker should let the relevant professionals know and they should also assess your needs. In some circumstances they may want to work with your GP or seek an assessment of your psychiatric or psychological needs.

6. What services will I get?

If you want to carry on living where you do at the moment

If you currently live at home with your family or by yourself and are happy where you are then the SSD may offer home-based services. The range of home based services that a local authority can provide are outlined in the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970. These services can be made available to both children and adults and include the provision of:

a. practical assistance in the home

This might mean having someone come round to help with cleaning or cooking, or they could help you with paperwork such as bills and letters. If you have physical needs practical assistance could mean helping you to wash, dress or get out and about.

b. radio, TV, library etc

This could include the purchase of a personal computer or a hi-fi system.

c. lectures, games outings and other recreational/educational facilities.

Recreational/educational facilities include places in day centres. These services must be provided outside the home.

d. assistance in travelling to community-based care services

The local authority is entitled to charge for transport provision. However, they must ignore the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) (if you get it) when making their assessment.

e. home adaptations

f. holidays

g. meals (at home or elsewhere)

h. a telephone

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=296&a=3273

Edited by ameretto

Oreo,

I'm glad i could help :D

I like reading too. If i'm worried, the first thing i do is read everything i can find about the thing that is worrying me. This always helps me not to worry so much. I hope it helps you too.

Good Luck

Natasha

good luck, let us know how it goes