Sign in to follow this  
UltraMum

Logging in

On the old forum I didn't have to log in each time - it just recognised me - here I have to log in most times - I haven't changed any settings at home so is it to do with the new forum?

On the old forum I didn't have to log in each time - it just recognised me - here I have to log in most times - I haven't changed any settings at home so is it to do with the new forum?

Hi MotherEve

When you login there is a tick box on the right hand side of the screen which says "Remember Me"

Tick this box and you will not have to log in everytime you enter the forum.

Kind regards

Lufty

Already ticked and then the computer fills in my screen name and password - but I didn't have to do that before - never mind - it's not a huge problem!

Already ticked and then the computer fills in my screen name and password - but I didn't have to do that before - never mind - it's not a huge problem!

Hi MotherEve

If you use the log out option when you finish using the forum then you do need to log back in again however if you just close the browser down then you do not need to log back in again.

This is so that other forum members can login using the same computer.

Kind regards

Lufty

I never log out ... :lol: don't even think about it!

It seems to happen if I haven't been on the forum in the last 24 hours or so - a rare occurrance I know ... :lol: but my new term at university kicks off on Monday so I may be less in evidence for a while (only three modules to go :blink: )

As I said - I'm not particularly bothered - it's only one extra click - it's just different to the old forum. :)

BTW - the smilies have stopped moving!

This was happening to me the other day. The only way I could solve the problem was to clear all my cookies and then log in and tick the remember me box. All was fine after that.

Are you losing/closing your Internet connection between log-ins? :unsure: If so, this might have something to do with it.

If you're having to reconnect, the forum software probably thinks you're a different person, as you're more than likely being assigned a different IP# by your ISP (sorry for the techie jargon!), hence you're asked to log in again.

James

That makes perfect sense - I was talking to my ISP the other day re problems with my router and the PC - (works fine on the Mac :P ) and they said that they assign a new IP address each time ...

Thanks for clearing up the mystery :)

Cool. :dance:

Glad you understood me! :lol:

Perhaps that didn't matter on the old forum software, and it just used cookies stored on each user's PC to determine who was who. :unsure:

Anyway, we'll leave it at that, I think! :)

James

Um - closed my internet connection and went to bed - got up cos I couldn't sleep - fired up the computer and ... I'm still logged in - so that's put paid to a wonderful theory!

:)

Tonight I'm on the Mac laptop for the first time since Christmas and I'm still logged in - curiouser and curiouser. Must be a Windoze/XP thing ... so no surprises there then!

Mother eve, If my computer does it's weekly scan thing to check for viruses etc I have to log in afterwards. Just a thought.

Viper.

Norton is set to scan once a week on friday night - but this happpens in between - like from this afternoon to tonight - it's not a problem - just a mystery! :wacko: