Sign in to follow this  
lindy-lou

over reaction to pain

i know ASD kids feel things more sensitively than others but if india hurts herself minorly like this morning a tiny nip on her finger,she reacts so badly its like she has broken her leg,its difficult to know wether she really has got an injury that i cant see the reaction is so bad,anybody else experience this?

Alex is the same. He has broken a bone in the past and has hardly moaned about it, but if somebody so much as brushes past him in the street he says it really hurts him.

J's the same - major problems with minor injuries yet he never complained about his throat when he had tonsilitis despite his throat being nearly closed up by his tonsils.

I think this is all to do with different sensory feelings - I worry he'll get appendicitis or something and not notice the warning pains. :(

Edited by MotherEve

Hi lindy-lou,

My son also has an over reaction to pain if he falls over etc..

When he was in school he used to spend most of his playtime in the corridor with an ice pack on a

slightly grazed hand or knee! If he fell over he would immediately scream and would become

hysterical. He has improved though, we were walking up the road the other day when he tripped

over straight onto his knees, I felt my chest tighten and I was waiting for the screams, but none

came, he wiped his knees down and bit on his lip really trying very hard to control himself, although

he did say 'we'd better go back home now'.

We often hear an ear piercing scream and he will come flying into the kitchen screaming 'plaster' and

when you look there is absolutely nothing there at all and he will keep breaking out into screams about

it all through the rest of that day.

He does seem hypersensitive to pain, although what I cant work out is when he is ill he doesn't show

the same reaction, then again it could just be the touch thing I suppose and the panic of the moment.

Brook

I am always quite relieved when my son makes a big fuss over his pain because it means it isn't serious. Again he freaks over minor things and doesn't complain over real problems. When he is ill he is an absolute angel. He doesn't complain and his behaviour is impeccable. Its weird but a nice side effect.

Ben is the same. The tiniest cut or scratch and he is hysterical. He found a scratch on his leg the other day and all hell broke loose. He has a thing about blood and always asks if it's bleeding, even if he only bumps himself.

We have to put a plaster on everything and that plaster stays on until it virtually rots off. :lol: He even refuses to have a bath in case his plaster comes off. I usually remove it when he's asleep. I think he is scared of the pain he will get when the plaster is removed.

Like others he is totally fine when he is ill, don't even know sometimes except he sleeps more.

Viper.

We have to put a plaster on everything and that plaster stays on until it virtually rots off. :lol:

Viper.

LOL! - that could be our household! The plasters we go through! :lol:

J chews the skin off his fingers :o until it bleeds - he doesn't seem to feel any pain ... but the bleeding distresses him so he has to have a plaster. One came off y'day and I threw it in the bin - caught him later trying to retrieve it from the bin and put it back on! :o

:lol::lol::lol::lol: life's never dull!

Edited by MotherEve

M is exactly the same. Any tiny cut and you would think a part of his body had been severed. I didn't think it would be at all linked to AS but perhaps it is. My other son who is two feels very little pain. He burnt his hand and even though it blistered we didn't realise until we saw the blister.

In our house though we don't need plasters. M does not accept them at all. When he was in nursery he cut his hand and the teacher tried to put a plaster on which he screamed about, he would however let her put tissue on it so it then took me 3 days to convince him to take the dirty tissue off his finger!!!!

I think this is all to do with different sensory feelings - I worry he'll get appendicitis or something and not notice the warning pains. :(

My son has just been diagnosed with Asperger's. In September he was admitted to hospital with suspect appendicitis but it was three days before they operated as they said he wasn't in enough pain for it to be his appendix :o It was only later that I read that this can be an Aspie thing.

Thankfully he was operated on in time and it all turned out okay.

My sons the same. He has had raging tonsilitus, ear infections in both ears and the beginning of a chest infection - i had no idea! The only reason i took him to the GP was because he was sleeping alot - not like him at all! Everything else was normal. But, if he bumps his knee - you'd have thought he was being murdered. He fell off his scooter in the summer and grazed his knee - it made him panic so much he passed out. From what i've been told, it's common in ASD children.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum Nemesis !! :D

Ben is the same. The tiniest cut or scratch and he is hysterical. He found a scratch on his leg the other day and all hell broke loose. He has a thing about blood and always asks if it's bleeding, even if he only bumps himself.

We have to put a plaster on everything and that plaster stays on until it virtually rots off. :lol: He even refuses to have a bath in case his plaster comes off. I usually remove it when he's asleep. I think he is scared of the pain he will get when the plaster is removed.

Like others he is totally fine when he is ill, don't even know sometimes except he sleeps more.

Viper.

this is exactly what india is like,she fears blood more than anything and she has been like this since she had her blood tests done.

Louis seems to do everything backwards...

If someone so much as touches him and he's not expecting it, he will scream. If I put a hand on his back to guide him (as I would do with any of my kids) around an object I think he hasn't seen, he will shout, scream and tell me off for pushing him.

But, when he really does hurt himself, he doesn't react at all...

last year I went on the hunt for him as he had gone really quiet. I found him in the kitchen. With blood literally everywhere! He had gotten hold of a kitchen paring knife (a little knife for cutting vegetables etc), and was merrily trying to cut a hole in a cardboard box - oblivious to the fact that he had sliced his finger and it was pouring everywhere! :o . Rushed him to our doctors surgery where the nurse looked at it (it had finally stopped bleeding), and put on some steri-strips. a bit deeper and he would have needed stiches!

He has also burnt himself with an iron trying to iron our carpet, and not realised.

All knives, Iron - in fact anything that he can hurt himself with - are now up really high. Although I know that he will climb to reach them if he really wants them!

Hi,

Kai screams the place down if he has a tiny cut or graze on him. I don't think it's physical pain, more psychological. I have plasters upstairs, downstairs, in the car and in my handbag! One spot of blood and all hell breaks loose!

On the other hand, i can never tell if he's poorly. He had a 10cm tumor in his tummy when he was two, and no-one knew he was ill until the tumor began compressing his internal organs (and i'm a healthcare professional too!).

I definately think it's an ASD sensory thing.

Loulou x

Hi there Nemesis :)

My son has just been diagnosed with Asperger's. In September he was admitted to hospital with suspect appendicitis but it was three days before they operated as they said he wasn't in enough pain for it to be his appendix :o It was only later that I read that this can be an Aspie thing.

Thankfully he was operated on in time and it all turned out okay.

My worst nightmare come true ... why did they finally decide to operate?

Hi MotherEve,

It was a combination of (1) the pain not going away and there being no other explanation for it and (2) me jumping up and down insisting that they do something :angry:

He was Nil By Mouth for the first 2 days and seemed to get a little better. Then they let him eat and the pain got worse and the vomiting came back. They had booked him for an ultrasound but cancelled this without telling me. When I found out I burst into tears on the nurse :crying: I was SOOO embarrased but actually I think it helped.

Wish I'd known then what I know now :rolleyes:

Nemesis

Wish I'd known then what I know now :rolleyes:

Nemesis

Yes - I look back at things and think they are so obvious now ...

My son is quite the opposite he has no pain barriers , he could trap his finger in a door and still not budge or moan , he has a high threshold of pain.

Funny you should say that... I had appendicitis, and it was ignored for hours because of how trivial I made the pain sound (apparently most roll around the floor screaming "IT'S SEVERE PAIN" when asked, when I sort of walked in, complained of a bad stomach ache, explained it was severe pain in a matter of fact voice, made a drink and ran a bath... I had to change colour and nearly faint before my Mum rang the doctor...

It's strange, because I wouldn't have thought I did have a particularly high pain threshold, I just didn't see any point in making a fuss (which is very unlike me...)

My daughter will react to every little bump or scratch as if it's agony - although even brushing her hair used to be that I was killing her (thankfully she does it herself now - although she sits there nearly crying all the way through it). If water gets in her eyes or splashes on her face it's a major problem. Although she's been in hospital many times over the years with viral infections and pneumonia and doesn't complain about the pain. She would very often tell me if I questioned her hearing that she'd had 'muzzy ears' for weeks(although to her one day can be weeks!) and after taking her to the doctors had such bad ear infections that they were nearly bursting.

She's also petrified of blood and hospitals and obsessed about dying - to the point of even if she sees someone sat up in bed on tv as she comes in the room she screams are they dying and in hospital.