Sign in to follow this  
DAS999

Does it really?

I have been doing my usual hunt through the internet for more info on ASD and a found a pdf file saying ASD runs in families. Is this true? I don't know if kids is on the cards for us and I don't really mind but I would like to know if I am more likely to have a child with ASD as my GF has ASD. Like I said this is something that would need alot of thinking about and is a long long way in the future but I would still like to know so if anyone has any info / advise I would appreciate it. I would post the link to this pdf file but I can't find it any more :lol:

Oh and do not worry no chance of the GF seeing this post. She is refusing to come on the site as her membership numner is an odd number :lol: Oh well she is sat trying to turn it in to an even number and it is going to take some time!

Hi DAS,

I have heard that it is believed there is a genetic link with ASD. Since my son with diagnosed, and we've become more aware of AS, we've certainly seen strong traits in my husband's father and even hubby to some extent.

I guess the benefit of having ASD in the family is that you're more aware of how to deal with situations if it does arise in your offspring. It seems a number of people on this forum discovered they also had AS after their kids were diagnosed.

"Madness is hereditary - you get it from your kids!" Is an old chestnut I'm hearing more and more often where AS in concerned :P

Daisy

Edited by DaisyProudfoot

Hi I was told it can be but not always I wouldn't think. My grandad had aspergers and when Matthew was showiung these signs we began to wonder. I suppose I wouldn't have realised what it was till much later if my grandad hadn't been as and also my friends son and my mums friends son has it too. anyway I know that isn't what you wanted to lol. But yes it is in my family.

I would say in my experience I strongly suspect it is hereditary.Often you can notice it in one family member and then pick it up in others. :(

I think if you suspect a.s. runs in the family then having children takes a lot of thinking about because you may well be at risk.

I personally didn't realise I have in all probabilty A.S. until after I had children.

I also didn't suspect for personal reasons it might be hereditary until after I had children.

Having said that neither of my two children appear to be on the spectrum, so perhaps I broke the chain,

I am not brave enough to take the risk now I suspect though.

At the end of the day it's personal choice.

Yep, I'd say so. I have AS, my maternal granddad almost certainly had it, most of my maternal aunts have traits, a cousin probably has undx- yep, some quality genes in our family!

My paternal relatives don't have it. My granny said 'there're no funny genes on our side of the family'- my mum had a hard time not saying, 'yeah, but you have all the ugly ones' :lol:

Edited by Kerre

It certainly runs in our family. I now realise that My Uncle has AS and also a cousin, although neither has a dx. But both have spent most of their lives on medication and unable to work. My Mum also thinks that her Uncle had AS. My own worry is that the more down the line it is passed the more impact it appears to be having on those with the condition - well in our family.

Carole

It runs like water through our family. Both sides too. My husband has signs, his mum is definitely affected as are his sister and his aunt. He even found a sister in Germany (loooong story) with a son who has classic Autism.

On my side I think my mum is affected as are both my brothers. My mum also has a cousin with AS. In amongst all that we have OCD, ADHD, dyslexia and ODD. I could list more but you would think I was being greedy or boasting. :lol:

Das, I don't think it is a reason to not have children it just means you have to plan more carefully. saying that what does your G/F think about it? Whatever you do you will have to have twins cos one just wont do. :shame:

Viper.

Viper, don't joke both my mum and dad are twins and so are 2 out of the 4 of my granparents

:lol::crying:

Laugh or cry I don't know

The GF would LOVE kids but now is just not the right time!

Edited by DAS999

You are absolutley right Kerre, they are messy and noisey, smelly, expensive and downright cute and cuddly then they grow up and are messy, noisey, smelly, more expensive and not so cute and cudley any more. :lol:

Viper.

Das

The general view is that there is a strong genetic link in autism and aspergers, and that there may be several genes involved. I have heard suggestions that the genetic link may also give rise to a predisposition to autism, but that some other cause might actually trigger it - eg pre-natal trauma, birth trauma, brain injury, infection.

There's a lot of research underway, but not many conclusions yet on causes. I would be very surprised if any significant research has been done into the likelihood of a parent with AS having a child with AS - after all Aspergers hasn't been officially recognised for long.

I can understand why you're thinking about this - I've been thinking about it on behalf of my son, and he's only 11!

Elanor

Thanks Flutter

She saw a tv clip of a birth and didn't speak for 3 days :lol: She likes the tought of it i think she likes looking after the dogs and thinks it will be the same!!

Edited by DAS999

Guest flutter
Thanks Flutter

She saw a tv clip of a birth and didn't speak for 3 days :lol: She likes the tought of it i think she likes looking after the dogs and thinks it will be the same!!

hey i had 2 kids these programmes freak me out lol

Aspergers and ocd often run hand in hand unfortunately.In my case I believe my father to have aspergers and ocd so guess I inherited it.

I'm so lucky sometimes :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest flutter

das

i am sure there are ways of supporting and manging it all espc ocd

maybe once you have seen " the lady" she will help put things in place

it is all hard i know for all of us, cos we dont know where to start,

tc

C x

i dont know if it is or not to be honest, my husband is adhd and so is my oldest son,my middle son is asd/adhd and my nephew is apergers but his cousin on his dad side is asd and no blood relative just to my sisters son.i really dont know. :blink: