Sign in to follow this  
board

head size

hello i was reading on a nother web site that they think they have found a link between big heads and aististicm have any one heared this and how many of our children got big heads they was saying that all they need is a tape and they will beable to tell i am not aloud to post the web site on here im i so will not just in case but if a can let me know and i will all the best jill

yes Adams pead mentiond this to me. Adam has a bigger head. Thay also mentioned eyes. Adam has a larg gap between his eyes and a high forhead the's are all commen in ASD aparently

Big mamma is hear head a funny shape and is it really solid. Adam's head seems an odd shape but it's so solid

i have also read this

my sons head was always measured at clinic appointments-but nothing was said

i think he has a large head as i have struggled getting clothes that will fit over his head and hats he also has sizes to big

his head is rock hard too like a cannon ball :huh:

my other son had [cant remember the name] but his head was flat on one side he had to have brain scan

it is the way his skull has formed-noticed when he was a month old,he also couldnt move his neck to other side and i was given excersise to twist it round :o he hated it but had to learn him to lie on other side of his head

its still odd shape [3] and will be for life.

C (9, with AS) has a really small, narrow head. Our other two kids (NT) have big heads for their age -- the 4-yr-old wears adult hats. So I'm sorry, guys, but the tape measure just isn't going to convince me.

My sons fontanelle( soft spot) didn't close when it should have and they were worried about it ,I think he was 18 months before it fully closed.

I didn't think anything of it until I read an article last year that said kids who have autism have more brain growth in their first year. Could just be co-incidence. His head is and always was rock hard ( had the bruises to prove it when he was a baby,if he threw it back while on my knee!).

He hasn't got a large forehead though and has a fairly low hair line at the front.

T

L doesn't have a big head, he's spot on the 25th centile for everything at the moment (height/weight/head size). They've been monitoring him carefully lately because he dropped weight really quickly last year.

Lynne x

I have the records from the Clinic when my son was about six months old and they noticed that his head had grown outside the previous percentile measurement. We had to see the community Paed and had to check his head size on a daily basis and report back. It is quite funny because I was not worried about it and even said (and it is in his notes!) "he has a big head because his dad has a big head" :lol:

I can't remember where I read it - think it was Baron Cohen who noticed that some children with an ASD has a head growth spurt during the first year of life.

I don't know if there is any significance or not

Best wishes

HelenL

Rainbow Queen, i think you mean plagiocephaly? My son has this too. His head was so badly mishapen that it looked like half of his head was missing. He also used to look at me sideways, but it wasn't too bad that he needed any excercises. (isn't this called tortocullis??) My health visitor said there was nothing wrong but it wasn't untill he was diagnosed AS and i mentioned it to his Paed, she checked all the seams in his skull which were fine but told me that is what the condition is called. And had no bearing on him having AS (you know when you're at that stage where you question everything?) . He does have quite a big heed though! :lol:

Hi

My son 8 has a big head and I remember that when he was a baby around 7 months the health visitor mention it, I always struggled to find some hat for him even more as he absolutly hated wearing anything on his head and use to get rid of them, anywhere anytime, I eventualy gave up, and forget about his head size, when he is cold he just pull his hood on from his coat, but he must be feeling very very cold.

Malika.

H Hasn't got a big head and it's just as hard as my daughters when you get headbutted :blink:

he did jump from the 25th centile to the 90th in height and weight though.

Madmooch

I wouldn't say he has a big head but I do have problems getting hats and caps to fit him. His head seems in proportion to the rest of his body.

He does have a high forehead though and not really sure about the wide gap between the eyes, never really even thought about it! LOL

tom has a lumpy forehead lol, but i think his head is normal size. :D

C has a larger head - Its not out of proportion but when you see him with his peers its noticably larger.

He is also very stockily built though like a rugby player.