Sign in to follow this  
Gordie

The "General Discussion" / "Off Topic" Split

The "General Discussion" / "Off Topic" Split - love it or hate it?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Love it
    • Hmmm ... it's okay, I guess
    • Couldn't care less
    • Hmmm ... probably better before
    • Hate it
    • (I'm a newbie, so I've no idea)

Over in the pinned "New Forum - Problems and Suggestions" thread, Zemanski raised a concern about the recent split of the "General Discussion" forum, into on-topic discussions (to stay in that forum) and "Off Topic" discussions ...

not a techie issue I suppose but I still don't like the split between general and off topic

I've given it a while to see if I'd get used to it but I used to like the jolly mix in general discussion and the way things moved up and down so fast because there was so much going on - kept us lively - I know I can go and look at off topic but somehow I don't get there so I miss out the fun stuff

I also don't like the way something will start in general and you get used to dipping into it amongst the other stuff and then it all disappears cos someone's decided it's off topic and shifted it

sorry - I know there are supposed to be good reasons for this change but the site was more fun when we were all in it together

Zemanski

So I thought I'd put it to the people - who loves it, who hates it, and who's indifferent about it?

(Newbies who weren't around before the split over Christmas can choose the final option in the poll. :))

Of course it's up to the admins and moderators to decide whether or not to take your views on board and make any changes (should the "hate"s outnumber the "love"s), but I just thought I'd put some feelers out on this anyway. :D

Thanks for your participation ...

James

Okay - well as it's been about a week since I started this poll, I'd say the general consensus seems to be that the split is a WINNER! :D:dance:

Thanks for voting, everybody - now the admins and moderators won't have to stress about how to appease the dissenters. :lol:

James

Actually I have real difficulty in deciding where to post a newspaper report about any treatments: in meds or resources?

Hmmm ... :huh: ... I'd say the "Medication/Diet/Vitamins/Supplements/Remedies" forum, as any old resource could go on the "Resources" forum, whereas this would be specifically about treatments. But I'm sure either forum would be fine. :) The mods (:bancomp:) aren't that fussy, I don't think. ;)

James

Why does the time and date on this thread show as Jan 2006?

Did the change happen after that then?

The time and date on the thread should be the time and date that the posts were made. This allows someone new to the forum to see how old the advice or post is and hence make allowances incase things have changed. Also stops people bringing dead threads back to life on some other forums. Here if it is relevent it may as well come back. Some forums though you get the sames things asked time and time again so may as well have the most upto date view.

If the date is wrong I guess that the forum was having problems when it was posted hence picked up the wrong date. Other than that not got any ideas. Or perhaps it reappeared from the dead without any seemingly new post. I believe a new vote on the pole also resurrects a thread and brings it back to the front of the board.

Hope that helps, David.

Dear All

Yes it is because someone has voted and the forum shows the date of last action (in this case a vote rather than a new post)

Regards

Lufty