Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

has any one elses children got issues with doors?

Hi Rainbow Queen

When my son was in infant school he had an issue with children going out the 'in' door and visa versa. He actually trapped a girls fingers in the 'out' door one day because she was trying to come in through it and he wouldn't let go. It was all to do with rules and not breaking them.

Hiya

My 4 year old makes a bee-line for doors with 'push pads'. If anyone inadvertently, pushes the pad to open the door, he goes mad. He also used to stand at the front door for ages ringing the door bell. On another occasion, I took him to a caf� type of place where you can paint ceramic cars, dinosaurs, etc. ? he just stood opening and closing the door because it had an old-fashioned bell above the door which chimed. He seems to have moved onto something else for now!

Caroline.

Oh my god! I never thought about this, but I cannot go in via an exit door or go out of an entrance door. It just doesn't seem right. I never thought it was odd before!

J has a thing about making sure doors 'click' shut when they are closed. If anyone doesnt close the door properly then it provokes an agrressive reminder.

He also loves slamming them!

It absolutely positively HAS to be shut after he has walked through it - even if you are following him :D

We've learnt now to either go through the door before him or wait until he is through and has shut it behind him. We can then open it and go thru it (as long as we close it after us)

You do have to be aware of this, cos he can come and slam the door shut on you if you don't go thru it quickly enough (a bit of a prob this if you are carrying hot tea :blink: )

He won't allow anyone to stand in the doorway chatting - they have to come in or go out so the door can be closed.

He will also "push" you out of the room, trying to close the door behind you. This can lead to him slamming it if you aren't prepared and have hold of the door to control how fast it closes.

From what I've read, this is really common. I post on another forum and they had a really long thread about the various door obsessions that their children had.

I class myself as pretty lucky - I know of some parents (on the other forum) whose kids stand opening and slamming doors rapidly over and over and over.

I look at it this way - the doors are shut all the time, which keeps the heat in, which lowers my gas bill so he's doing me a favour really :D

LOL tell me about it. Adam's door obsession is well known amongst families and friends. It started when he was about 10mths with him repetively opening and closing cupboard doors and making a bee-line for them whenever we went to someone's house. As he got older it progressed to room doors and then to running through automatic shop doors and now doors of banks or building societies where you press a button to make them open. His eyes nearly popped out when he first realised you could press a button to make a door open :D . He loves going to the supermarket because of the doors, he loves to run through them and make them open. Shopping is a real pain if it's busy as the doors never close too properly (they have to be completely shut - he's got a thing about completeness too) and we can frequently be standing there for minutes looking like a right lemon waiting for the doors to close with him reaching meltdown point. Makes me really :angry: too as people can see what he's waiting for but can't possibly wait 10 seconds or so and let him run through the doors. Often get filthy looks too as no doubt some shoppers think he's an unruly brat though others smile in amusement at his excitement at running through the doors. He's rpetty good though as although he'd love to spend half the day running through the doors he knows he can only do it once and usually sticks to the bargain. He categorises where we are going by the doors too. Local shops are 'press the button' doors, city centre shops are the 'lifts'.

He gets more door obsessed if stressed, tired or ill but he also genuinely likes doors. H elikes anything mechanical and also have this completeness thing so dorrs fit the bill I guess! Reminds me of a holiday in Centreparcs Oasis when he was jus tover 2.5yrs old. They had revolving doors on the dome which he adored. When other parents too their children to the play areas we sat outside the Dome having coffee whilst he ran laps through the doors having a whale of a time :D

16mth old supposedly NT DS2 is also getting into doors in a big way too :wacko::unsure::hypno: though think it's because he's copying his big brother. He's more interested in the contents of cupboards though which is vaguely reassuring!

Liz x

Hi Liz

Oh my god!!!!! - I cant beleive that someone else has the door thing like us - I thought we were the only ones

it too started when he learnt to walk - a beeline for doors cupboard doors etc just opening & closing all day.that is what made us first recognise the problem and its still the same now eapecially with the supermarket doors when he leaps around going in and out as many times as he can

also when we ued to go out for walks when he was a toddler he opened /closed every garden gate on the journey & tried to opne every door he saw

it got to the point where I would not go out for a walk unless it was down a lnae or on the beach as it drove me absolutely mad

its got better now but at nearly 6 we always get "kick back" to this a lot under times of illness stress or change

I wonder what started it all off & why doors - is ith the fact its something they can control - understand?

Nikki

ps my new house is open plan now - I have minimal doors - phew!!!

:dance::dance::dance:

im so pleased that im not the only one

thanks for all the replys

everything that was said is just what happens to my son :party:

it all started like you said to when he was very young with kitchen cupboard doors and progressed to all the other doors mentioned.

:lol::lol::lol:

im so pleased that im not the only one

Me too!

Oh my god!!!!! - I cant beleive that someone else has the door thing like us - I thought we were the only ones

it too started when he learnt to walk - a beeline for doors cupboard doors etc just opening & closing all day.that is what made us first recognise the problem and its still the same now eapecially with the supermarket doors when he leaps around going in and out as many times as he can

also when we ued to go out for walks when he was a toddler he opened /closed every garden gate on the journey & tried to opne every door he saw

it got to the point where I would not go out for a walk unless it was down a lnae or on the beach as it drove me absolutely mad

LOL Nikki! That is uncanny so like my son. Never met anyone else with a similar door obsession. It's only recently that we've been able to go to the playarea in the park and he be more interested in the slides and swings than endlessly opeing and closing the gate!

Liz x

Automatic doors have him driven round the twist :blink: HE won't leave them alone

M needs to play with the electronic door pads, cant wait to get through the revolving doors at sainsbugs to the extent that he normally stops the door going round! Then we have the additional problem of him watching himself on the security camera ( loveswatching himself as mentioned previously) oh and needs to be first ( as for everything) to go thru the door. He also needs to ring the door bell even he knows no-ones home. AND he needs to slam the door- cant close any door gently. Thought this was him just being awkward whoops sorry M!

L