Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Eating out

Hi all,

I just wanted to share something really good that happened a few days ago. The four of us went shopping in the local factory outlet centre as my two had some gift vouchers to spend. After getting their books L was insistent that we should go for a meal in one of the restaurants. We were hesitant as we haven't been able to do this for so long given my daughter's sensitivity to food, noise, lights, and OCD issues (for a long time she did not like the idea of using cutlery or crockery someone else has used, so restaurants were out of the question). She also doesn't like eating in front of other as she is afraid of making a mess.

However she was insistent and my son wanted to go too so we went to an Italian restaurant we haven't been to for a while - a step above the pizza chains we usually go to and a risky choice.

When we were shown to our table she fretted briefly about the balloon next to another child's chair but decided she could cope with that. She didn't like the smell of the garlic bread but shrugged that off too. Even a shrieking toddler nearby only caused minor irritation - she just calmly covered her ears.

There was loud music and it was busy but it didn't bother her a bit: she even seemed to enjoy the atmosphere. As luck would have it we were wedged into a corner so it was quite private. She had a huge plate of spaghetti (managed to use a fork OK too)and chocolate tart to finish, and even thanked the waiter who brought the food (normally she doesn't say anything and doesn't like being spoken to).

This is another milestone - going to restaurants was one thing we thought we'd never be able to do as a family again as we assumed she would never be able to deal with this ultimate assault on all the senses. This time last year L used to melt down when a dog barked or the phone rang because of the noise and she would not leave the house so we've come a long way.

Any casual observer in the restaurant wouldn't have noticed anything out of the ordinary - unless they were eavesdropping - the entire conversation was about Dr Who and Star Wars. :rolleyes:

It was a really great evening - the best Christmas/ New year present for her Dad and me!

Excellent news :dance::dance:

Well done to your daughter, she's doing well with her coping strategies.

If you decide to do this again try for the corner again - we find in the corner near the kitchen works well so our AS son can watch the comings and goings while having his back to the wall :)

Daisy

Well done L! :clap::clap::clap:

Success stories.........I just love 'em!!!! :groupwave::groupwave:

Nice one ! Still not happened for us, still won't eat in any caf� or restaurant :( but we live in hope. >:D<<'>

So pleased for you and the family. L. must be really proud of herself as you say she has really come a very long way since last year.

Beth >:D<<'>

Oh, wow Kathryn that is so great! Another of those small step/big journey moments >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I know you're a great mum, so you'll be bursting inside for the next time. I hope she feels up to it soon, so you can lose that knot in you stomach!

L&P

BD :D

PS: If it won't annoy her, tell L as well how pleased I am for her >:D<<'>

Hi,

Thanks all. :)

We will do it again, definitely, when the post Christmas bank balance recovers a bit!

K x

Well done all of you.

After you had such a difficult year last year, it is wonderful to hear things are moving in the right direction.

:groupwave::groupwave:

Simon

BTW Is L still settling in well at college?

BTW Is L still settling in well at college?

Simon, thanks for asking,

Yes she had a good start last week, apart from the usual problems with getting organised in the morning. You've just reminded me of another bit of good news - she went bowling with her group last week - and won! She was thrilled. Quite an achievement as she has physical problems which would make this quite difficult, but I gather she refused all help. A bowling alley is somewhere else we would never have dreamed of taking her - even I find them overwhelming!

I still get bouts of angst about her "not learning anything" (ie academic) and it hurts when I hear about her peers doing GCSE's and A levels - we are a long way off that. But I keep trying to focus on how far we've come from where we were, and to realise that we have to take things slowlyand let her gain confidence at her own pace.

K

Edited by Kathryn

I bet that this was 'best' Christmas box you received this year even if it was a bit late :clap:

I really do know how you feel long may it continue :thumbs:

Carole

PS We usually talk about Halo at a restaurant if ever you need a change of topic :lol:

Carole - Halo would be Hot topic number 3! I really struggle to join in these conversations as what I know about these subjects would fit on a postage stamp. :lol:

K x

that is fab well done

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Kathryn,

Thank you for you PM. So happy for you and L. This is the best Christmas gift you could get. Well done, way to go Laura :dance::dance: this is fantastic news.

I still get bouts of angst about her "not learning anything" (ie academic) and it hurts when I hear about her peers doing GCSE's and A levels - we are a long way off that. But I keep trying to focus on how far we've come from where we were, and to realise that we have to take things slowlyand let her gain confidence at her own pace.

I know how you feel my boy see's his friends achieving etc, and keeps telling me what a genius one friend in particular is. I pray and believe your daughter and my boy will find their niche, and their passion one day. But he is okay with that, he loves these guys. Computers keeps them joined at the hip they are so kind and understanding of my boy god bless them. They are really nice kids too. Sounds like L has some lovely peers like this too. :wub:

Like my sons doctor said, let him lead the way, he will start to make decisions for himself, your daughter brings me hope, thank you for sharing.

Again wonderful news a huge milestone, that must feel ssoooo good :wub:>:D<<'> >:D<<'> :groupwave::groupwave:

My children get back on 22 January, they have been in Adelaide South Australia with their father since 26 December, oohh yes I do miss them. Then its back to school on 31 January so we get a week to catch up.

I keep wanting to rearrange my house or get into spring clean mode so I am doing a big jigsaw puzzle forcing myself to at least chill out for a couple of hours each day. At least the rain has cooled things down weathers been mild 25-30 aaaahhhhh sigh of relief and looking to stay that way all week. This is our summer holiday I should be happy I know, spoke to them for over an hour today, they are homesick and really miss me. Mums hanging in there six sleeps to go.

Thanks again Kathryn for your encouragement and so happy to hear about your L. Cheers!

Regards

Hailey

Edited by hallyscomet