Sign in to follow this  
juju

auditory integration therapy

hi there, am new to forum and new to using a pc! anyway i am a single parent of 1 nt boy of 16 and 1 with as aged 8. as son in mainstream having lots probs as seems to be par for the course with lack of support there. anyway lots of probs seem to stem from sensory issues and then not being able to communicate how he is feeling. he is then lashing out. am fighting for more support. i saw on the nas website that there was a thing called auditory integration therapy. am waiting for a call back from ot regarding this and wondered if anyone on here has had any experience of it. i no it is apparently quite hard to come by and am not sure if can only be done privatly and if so how much it costs. would be very grateful if anyone could help

I have come across various forms of auditory processing disorders. There is web based (uk) group I think the address is this one (just click the underlined words) although I could be wrong. APD can also be linked to other problems as often talked about on here. I am sure someone can point you at the right threads.

Welcome to the forum.

Hello juju,

My name is steve have AS, my son is 7 yrs old, he has AS also, one of the other problems we have is with hearing, this is a condition called Hyperacusis which is an abnormal acuteness of hearing due to increased irritability of the sensory neural mechanism; characterized by intolerance for ordinary sound levels. This can sometimes be for us a contributing factor to our sensory overloads, due to the fact some sounds can be unbearable and others just really hurt. I am also aware of a CD which is possible to purchase called Pink Noise which is basically white noise cleaned up, the result is pink noise which is then used to build up a tolerance to the everyday sound of white noise. A good resource site on the subject of Hyperaccusis its research and treatment can be found on www.hyperacusis.org hope this is of interest. ps.. Pink noise: A test signal used to evaluate the acoustics - the low, mid, and high ranges - of a concert space. Officially it is modified white noise - creating a sound that has been brought to an equal energy level per octave as that of the human ear.

With regards to AIT I have placed this link for you to peruse as far as I am aware I seem to recall

http://www.light-and-sound.co.uk/ at this centre uses both Light & Sound Modulation systems, the whole process is based on the original works of Dr Tomatis and also the originator of AIT Dr Bernard.

I have just checked through the links on my own website and found this piece thought you may find it of interest : Research shows that about 17-20% of all children with autism will also have hyperacusis. Common signs include crying in noisy environments, clasping hands over the ears, fear of noise or noisy objects, self-harm when exposed to loud noise, i.e. vacuum cleaners, and reluctance to participate in noisy or loud activities, i.e. watch parades, birthday parties, musical presentations, etc.

Children with autism or autistic-like conditions may fluctuate in their ability to hear or tolerate sounds. This confuses the diagnosis, which can also be complicated by the potential difficulty in obtaining subjective data from the child in a sound booth or other measuring system. Many times, it is subjective observations from parents, teachers, or care givers that is used to support a diagnosis of hyperacusis. for the rst of this article use this attached link http://www.hyperacusis.org/wst_page6.html

Hope this information is of help.

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

Hi Juju and welcome >:D<<'>

My son is 6, AS, and the majority of his problems seem to stem from sensory difficulties. I'm still waiting for OT help (over a year in our area :blink: ).

xx

Hi Juju and welcome >:D<<'>

My son is 6, AS, and the majority of his problems seem to stem from sensory difficulties. I'm still waiting for OT help (over a year in our area :blink: ).

xx

oh god, dont even know how to reply to you all to thank you for your replies so will give it my best shot. hope it works. need some compitor lessons! i found a link to the light and sound therapy centre on the nas website earlier today and will try the other links you have given. i filled in their questionnaire and got an email back with further details. Apparently they are the only place in uk to offer this combination of therapies. It is an Nhs registered provider if i can get a referral, if not it costs ?1500 per course. dont know if i can get Al refered though as we are in ayrshire and centre is in London! Will need to chase up OT dept

there are a lot of variations on auditory therapies,and just as with visual there are differences which may be significant.

Look on the web at Johannson, samonas, the listenning programme, tomatis - all similar using gated and filtered sound. I am not knowledgable enough to recommend an individual auditory "recovery" system but there are people that can contrast and compare. I would recommend some research before committing significant amounts of money - it may be the best way - but, there again.....

I would however say that the visual method we use is very different to the syntonic system. I have been on a syntonic training course and do not use it at all as the methods we use are so much better! - and so much cheaper!