dobbie

Advice reqd regards clinical pysch.

We are taking our son dx DCD (aspergers almost) to see the clinical pysch. tomorrow, has anyone got any advice to get her on our side in order to get Mats statemented as from previous replies from you good people it looks like that may help us with the school problems.

Also did anyone see the article in the papers yesterday about online schooling from home ?

Good Luck tomorrow. Sorry no specific advice other than being open and honest and asking for support detailing all the problems at school and the effect that they are having.

I didn't see the article in the paper about online schooling from home but would be interested in reading it if you could provide details. Online schooling from home is part of the package that our LEA is looking at putting together for A together with some home tutors coming in. I don't know of anyone who has any knowledge of this so would be interested in reading the report.

Let us know how you get on at the appointment. Hopefully, somebody will be able to offer some more specific advice soon.

Edited by Tez

I'm not sure if it is the same in all areas, but the clinical psych here has no real sway with the LEA / getting a statement.

This is how it's working for us:

At the moment The Boy is in a diagnostic unit where he is assessed on an ongoing basis & they ultimately decide whether he "warrants" a statement or not from that (we have the meeting next week when it will be decided, he's been there for 3 months).

The ultimate decision about whether he will get a statement will result from the LEA / diagnostic unit's decision, although they do use input from the clinical psych, educational psych and SALT.

Whilst a clinical psychologist cannot decide whether a statement can be issued, I believe that they can actually make a request for statutory assessment, as can any other Health professional or Social Worker. Alternatively, they can write supporting a parental or school request. Hopefully, the more evidence and professional opinion you have that an assessment is necessary, the more likely the LEA is to agree to it.