Sign in to follow this  
microsoft_admin

they have medications that help with high functining aspergers syndrome ?

Microsoft Admin

There are no drugs specifically for Aspergers Syndrome but their are medications that some people are offered to help with some of the problems that can be associated with AS - like depression, anxiety, moodswings, etc.

It would be best to talk to your medical adviser about what might be appropriate.

Barefoot

Are you asking are there meds or do you know there are and what do you mean help, do you mean with anxiety etc?

T

im asking if there are drugs for it

Microsoft Admin

There are no drugs specifically for Aspergers Syndrome but their are medications that some people are offered to help with some of the problems that can be associated with AS - like depression, anxiety, moodswings, etc.

It would be best to talk to your medical adviser about what might be appropriate.

Barefoot

im asking if there are drugs for it

I would agree with what Barefoot has said.

Theresa

I don't think I would want my ds to take a drug that would just make him "normal" - is that what you are asking?

I have 2 sons (19 & 21), that were diagnosed with AS when they were small children. In addition to therapy, we tried just about every med' in the book. The youngest did not seem to benefit from medication. Our older boy experienced marked improvement with Ritalin during elementary school, but refused to take it after the first year, stating that "I'm not me when I'm on the drug."

They are both in college now but having a difficult time due to disorganization and inability to set and follow priorities. Both boys are extremely intelligent and are coping better with AS as they mature.

My best advice to parents with younger AS children is to find a therapist that understands them, give them plenty of love, and never stop encouraging them. Drugs may help, but there's no substitute for your loving involvement. Don't rely on the therapists' opinions: learn all you can about AS and trust your parental instincts.

PS: There's a saying "The apple never falls far from the tree". In the process of helping our children, I was diagnosed with adult ADD. If this is a possibility in your family, make sure you understand how your own difficulties may influence the ways you interact with your kids.