Sign in to follow this  
sonia

Emigrating to Australia

As a family we are planning to emmigrate to Australia. Our son is 7 with ASD and doing well at mainstream school. Has anyone any experience of ASD provision in South Australia particularly or know anyone who has moved to Australia.

Sonia xx

Hi Sonia,

We lived in Melbourne (Oz) for just over 7 years, we only came back 3 years ago. Personally we didn't have a good experience education-wise, Alex was diagnosed with Asperger's in Australia about five years ago when he was 11, so there was little knowledge all the time we were there.

I know in Victoria they do not have Statements like here. One to One support is very hard to get, as is funding.

This link is to Autism SA (South Australia)

http://www.autismsa.org.au/

I'll add some more links for you if you like. If there is anything in particular you want to know, just ask.

Annie

>:D<<'>

My son's former headteacher got sent to Australia to look for examples of good practice. He travelled all over looking for inclusive practices and said he couldn't find anything that wasn't years behind what we do here, however difficult that may be to believe. Just so glad the taxpayers money is spent so wisely. He has, however, gone back on holiday with his family.

You jammy begger of to Australia.

I filled in an application form to see if we could emigrate to Canada.Thing is wed no skills they wanted,wed no cash in the bank.and hey presto the reply came back saying they didnt want us !!!!!!!!!!!!

We laughed coz we were only seeing which country would have us.But we didnt fit the criteria for any.

So if anyone knows of somewhere hot and sunny where they let yer in if youre skint,no skills and havent worked for years but youre husband has let me know.

:lol::lol::lol: And ill book a ticket.Then againe i guess im already in one.

Sonia,

One of our members - Hallyscomet - actually lives in Sydney. She'll probably see this thread, although not for a while as I expect she's asleep right now (at least I hope you are, Hailey :lol: ).

She'll probably be around later (much!) but it's worth sending her a pm anyway.

K

Sonia,

One of our members - Hallyscomet - actually lives in Sydney. She'll probably see this thread, although not for a while as I expect she's asleep right now (at least I hope you are, Hailey :lol: ).

She'll probably be around later (much!) but it's worth sending her a pm anyway.

K

Ah yes, Hailey we all remember the posts about sweltering in the unforgiving heat while the rest of us shivered in snowy old England

Sounds like you're moving to the Garden of Eden Sonia.

We were all set to move to New Zealand years ago, hubby had all the points and everything but we just chickened out at the end, shame we might have got a part in Lord of the Rings :lol:

Daisy

I think you may find that your son having an ASD may very well work against you being allowed to emigrate. And from what I have heard over the years, services are pretty dire.

I have a friend who works for the Western Australia Education Inlcusion Service. She is a qualified teacher and is one of the old fashioned - did a post grad SEN qualification. Although I know the service is stretched, she flies all over WA and it seems that she observes the child in the classroom setting for their learning style, difficulties etc and then will work on a programme that is specific to the child which she trains the teacher in. This sounded at least 100% better than what we had, although she did say that the teachers are not obliged to implement any suggested strategies. She could be observing the child for one week or one day - it seems she stays just long enough to get the foundations set.

I had contemplated moving to Spain and way back when, my screename was Stressed Eric and I was on here looking for info. But you don't get rid of me so easy - I am still here and have a different screename :lol:

we looked into emigrating to NZ but there's a question on the application form about having a illness/disability that will be a drain on medical/education services (my words)

gave up upon reading that,

wac

I think you may find that your son having an ASD may very well work against you being allowed to emigrate. And from what I have heard over the years, services are pretty dire.

Wouldn't that be disability discrimination? Could they do that?

Diasy when I replied to you I couldn't find the exact words I was looking for as I'd had a long day, thankfully waccoe has said exactly what I wanted to say. You ask if this can really be the case? The answer is yes and as waccoe says NZ operate a similair policy.

My mother fell vicitm to this policy, she had a heart problem which started in her teens and when she was about 45 her and my stepdad applied to emigrate to NZ. She'd never lost a days work in her life because of it but was refused admission on the grounds she would be a drain on medical services. Eventually they did manage to go but only because my birth dad (he'd re-married and kiwi and settled there ) claimed her/them on my sisters behalf as they were her family, my sister was married with 3 children at the time and had lived there for 15 years but it was my birth dad who had to do it . Even so it took a long time and involved decisions being made at high levels via their MP, I also suspect that my birth dads connections in a certain organisation helped a lot as well.

Whilst they were waiting for all of this to happen they also looked to Australia, they quickly decided against it someof the questions on the appliction form left a really nasty taste in my mums mouth, all she could say to me was, "I kept on thinking of S.... " Now she wasn't thinking of my son because we wanted to go as well, I've lived outside of the UK for 30 years and am very happy where I am, it was just the general flavour of the questions that got her.

I really don't know if its discrimination, perhaps its more towards just being practical and saving resources for those who have paid into them. Perhaps it's about having a healthy population though that school of thought does take us to even more nasty ones so enough said on that score.

It's also worth remembering that once a child reaches a certain age he or she would have to be interviewed in their own right as part of the selection procedure.

If emigrating is what you really want to do then I wish you all the best and I really do hope that things have moved on since my mum went down this road.

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Sonia

As a family we are planning to emmigrate to Australia. Our son is 7 with ASD and doing well at mainstream school. Has anyone any experience of ASD provision in South Australia particularly or know anyone who has moved to Australia.

Sonia xx

Hi Sonia,

I live in Sydney but know quite a few people that live in Adelaide and also a few that have moved from Sydney to Adelaide. It is a beautiful city and it is 1/4 of the price to buy or rent than Sydney or Melbourne.

the Public Education and Catholic education for all states have a wonderful support system for children like ours. If you have a statement or anything in writing about your childs diagnosis this will make him a priority for assistance. I came out of the Private Christian school as the support was ZERO.

I would get in contact with the Dept of Education in South Australia there is a service called Education Support service or Disability support. You may be able to find them on the internet.

I will have a look and see if I can find any websites that may be helpful and post them a bit later

Some have said that Melbourne were disappointing, I can say Autism awareness is improving across the Board in Australia.

The thing here it is really important for the parents to go to seminars and workshops and come to forums like this to get better understanding of their child and then keeping the Principal and class teacher informed.

I have been really happy with the Special Needs programs in Sydney.

Hope this helps

Regards

Hailey

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Sonia

Here are some websites I found on google.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=au...=cr%3DcountryAU

http://www.community.gov.au/Internet/MFMC/...ial%20Education

www.steiner-australia.org/vacancy.html

www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=306&id=1879

www.csu.edu.au/australia/nation.html

www.autismsa.org.au/html/about/family_support.html

I hope I copied these correctly.

also there are two really good search engines for education over here on any enquiries you may have

www.google.com.au/

www.yahoo.com.au/

Perhaps you could join one of the Autism support groups there in SA and get more assistance first hand.

I included a copy of Steiner education website as I know some parnets have said how they were finding this very supportive, if you want somethine alternative.

All the best

Hailey >:D<<'>

Daisy, I also forgot to add my son studied in Melbourne, he says it's a fantastic place but he did feel that autism awareness was rather dire, my soon to be Australian daughter in law is of the same opinion. I think I can actually recall him saying it was no place to be autistic, which was saying something considering where we live.

How did my son end up in Australia? Its one of the best places in the world to go for an education and many of the kids from here now go to either Australia or NZ for their further studies instead of the States and the UK. MY other son did 2 years in New Zealand before transferring to Scotland and I was very very impressed with their standards as well, he only transferred because he just never really took to NZ. My daughter has 2 expat Australian teachers and in my view they are probably amongst the best in the school.

I have contact with 3 Australians on another list who've sadly not had the good experience within the education system that Hailey has had, I also know a professional working within the education system and can put you in touch with them if you like.

Here's a link to a document you may find interesting.

http://www.autismsa.org.au/pdf/about/Schoo...al%20Report.pdf

hth

Ali B

It's Sonia whose wanting to move to Australia, not me, although I'm sure the info you've given will be useful for her and she's bound to be reading all the posts :)

I'd love to move to Oz but sadly age, my Lupus and my son's AS would probably go against us these days. Lupus and sunshine don't mix so I'm better off in dreary old England!

Thanks for the advice,

Daisy

Dear all

Many thanks for all your replies. As a nurse I have over enough points to emigrate although I am fully aware that my sons ASD maybe a big concern. He is in mainstream school and doing well. Support and funding in place of 1;1 30 hrs a week. High functioning and doing well in mainstream!

After his annual review today I am sending his revised statement to a migration agent(friend of a friend) to look over and give some advice. We shall live in hope !

Sonia x

Sonia my parents also had anough points as they both had sought after professions but my mums heart problem worked against them. It was only by pure chance that someone my dad knew remembered reading about an obscure law that meant the could be claimed as my sisters family. I often wonder though if the couple of years they stayed down under was actually worth all the hassle they went through to get there. :blink:

I wish you well and hope you'll soon be on your way to a new life. :D

Sonia,

we are going to Australia in March/April for a holiday. My Partners uncle and brother have emigrated there. I would go in a flash if i thought we could get the same provisions there for Lewis.

His autistic teacher was from Adelaide and she's excellent!

Let us know how you get on!