Sign in to follow this  
hev

taking him off tablets

in the past i have tried steve on ritalin twice,he is now on clonidine 50mg a night,been on these for about 2 months,made no difference at all,in fact made him more aggresive,the doctor said i cannot stop giving steve the tablets without seeing him first,he has to be weaned off them,im wondering what they can give him for aggresion and he has a lot of facial twitching,i will see if they will stop the medication and see how he goes,sometimes i think is the medication for me if that makes sense

Hi Hev,

I know what you mean about wondering if the medication is for yourself. I feel like that sometimes too (well, nearly every day really!). When Kai is tearing about like a Tasmanian Devil, i can't wait for the Ritalin to kick in and quieten him down. Makes me feel guilty, but on the other hand it can't really be nice for him to be so hyper like that.

Is Steve on Ritalin as well as Clonidine? The two are supposed to work well together. Kai was on Clonidine but it just made him sleepy. You do need to take the advice of the Dr about weaning him off it though, because it can cause a sudden rise in blood pressure if it's stopped suddenly.

Loulou x

They do usually have to be taken off Clonidine gradually. I am trying to get in touch with my sons doctor at the moment as his nose bleeds have become more frequent and lasting longer and it has been suggested that the Clonidine can cause this.

Hi hev

My son (12) came off Ritalin just before christmas it was working fine for about two years but then he began shaking after taking it. Only mild but it was enough for me to worry and we also felt that it was not helping him anymore.

Don't have any experience of Clonidine but we had to see doctor before stopping medication.

Maybe they can give you an emergency appointment?