Sign in to follow this  
carrieq

Stratera

Just back from appointment and dr has suggested ds try htis med to see if it helps. He says it doesn't affect sleep and appetite in the same way as Ritalin. I have been told to run the two together for a couple of weeks starting with a small dose of Stratera, upping it in week 2 and then contact him to let him know how things are. Anyone have experience of this med?

Carrie

Hi,

Kai was on this for a few weeks, and we didn't have any side effects. The problem came when he had a cold and couldn't swallow the capsules. He panicked when it stuck in his throat and he wouldn't take them after that.

Loulou x

hi

my son(as/ adhd) has been taking it for around 4 months. Previously he took concerta but suffered the usual lack of appetite and sleeping problems and also headaches. He doesn't seem to suffer any side effects and seems to be constantly snacking. I hated it when he was just never hungry.

Anyhow, as for how well it works....well I'm not too sure. We certainly don't see any difference at home regarding his behaviour which can be up and down. He still seems quite fidgety and impulsive. I don't think we'll know how wel he's benefiting from it in schol for sometime due to problems not coping with a full time table etc..............................attending hospital.......could go on here.......

We are going to persevere for a while longer, especially as there are no apparent side effects but there have to be benefits too or there's no point.

He's 13 and takes 40mg daily.

good luck and let me know how you get on.

jessie

just wanted to let you know that although it was mentioned that we may run both concerta and staterra together, that because of his side effects he should stop one and start the other. I seem to remember that we gave him one or two weeks break without any meds in between.

Thank you for the replies!! First dose given today!! Well we did go through two capsules. Told ds he needed to swallow but while I was getting his next tablets ready he had noticed the join in the capsule and pulled it apart!! I was amazed how easily he did swallow the capsule when he had explored it sufficiently, I couldn't have done that at the age of 6!!

Fingers crossed it helps

Carrie