Sign in to follow this  
Einstein

My son doesn't like anything to eat!

I have real problems getting my son to try new food. He just won't even try anything. He just like plain food like plain rice or pasta without any sauce or anything. Is this normal for children with AS?

What do you feed your children? Does anyone have any recipes they would like to share?

I have run out of ideas!

Yes - it's normal for someone with AS ... I'm still like that now, aged nearly 24.

Maybe it's the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality - if we're happy with what we're eating now, why the need to try anything else?

I don't even put milk on my Rice Krispies! :wacko:

It's probably best to try and keep encouraging him to try new stuff though, otherwise it'll make life difficult when you have meals out or away from home, and he's forced to have something different to the norm - believe me, I know from experience that that can be pretty awkward! :blink:

James

It is quite common for our children to have a limited range of food that they will eat - although different children will eat different things. A lot of them do not like things mixed up together, preferring them to be separate on the plate.

My son would never eat veg or fruit, but at the age of 13 he decided he likes lettuce! So never give up hope. I always ask him to try a little taste of new things, but don't push him if he doesn't like it.

He has been a lot better since he has started cooking things for himself.

Karen

we are lucky, i would say Toni's eating is pretty normal for her age loves junk food not that keen on fruit and veg but will eat it if you promise her something nice for afters.

The only problem is toni is contiually asking for food, we can't go an hour before she is saying she is hungary and asking for something.

We have even joked that maybe she is missing the 'i am full mechanism' as even when she was born the hospital gave us a bottle which she drained and her second bottle she did the same and then cried for more.

Does anyone else have a continuosly hungry child?

Yes, I have a continuously hungry son. When he was born the nurses were amazed at how much he needed to consume. According to my husband, it was the talk of the ward.

Things haven't changed, he's nearly 13 now but he still seems to eat a very limited range of foods continuously. I've stopped worrying, he's the correct height and weight for his age, he's rarely ill, so I figure he must be getting what he needs.

I don't even put milk on my Rice Krispies! :wacko:

That's my son to a tee!!

Weetabix- without milk!! (Not even a glass of water...how he swallows, I'll never understand! That stuff's like sawdust!!!)

Cornflakes- without milk!!(Actually, rather yummy!! ;) )

And the most yucky of all- Oatmeal-without milk!!!!

I try giving him the requested plain pasta/rice etc, but also put a little in a separate bowl and ask him to try it...I'm hoping that he'll get used to some new tastes this way...

And he does seem constntly famished!! Don't know where he puts it all...If I consumed all those carbs I'd be the size of a house!! And that's ignoring my love of chocolates!!!

Esther x

My son is the same - plain pasta with a bit of butter & no sauce & thats it.!!!

Glad others are the same - we should invest in a pasta company!!!!!!!!

sometimes its chips & we are going through a phase of scrambled egg being popular this week

do not worry if that is all he eats - as long as he is happy. I still keep putting new things in seperate bits on Samuels plate in the hope he will try them but as yet no joy.

It seems to be all about textures rather than tastes for my son - squidgy food is best it seems!

maybe pasta with a sauce on the side so its there to be tried ??

if you do like me & then add butter maybe you can slowly change this to a plain white sauce & then add on something else?I have tried so many recipies & failed now that I just stick to waht he likes & then maybe one day he may venture into something else???

Nikki

:lol:

It's 'Billy Bear' reformed ham muck, in our house!!

Took him to a cafe, he asked for a ham sandwich and this was duly served up to him. Inside was some of the most delectable ham I have ever eaten, it was truly glorious....the cafe owner looked a little put out when Caghal scrutinised his sarnie, tweaked off a sliver of ham, delicately touched it to his tongue and proclaimed;

"Ptooie!!! That's disgusting!!!"

(Very loudly, might I add!!)

So I hauled my jaw off the floor and tried some and said, with forced cheerfulness,

"It's LOVELY, Caghal! Try some more, DO!!"

Nope. No way. He wouldn't even eat the bread, it had been tainted!!! So I ate it, very yummy it was too, and ordered new bread and butter for his nibs......

One really odd thing about Caghal's tastes is that he abhors most kid-based foods. Chicken nuggets, chips.....he actually gags at the smell of crisps!! I can't eat them if he's near me and they are banned form our house, as even the smell of them on your breath revolts him. Caused a bit of a problem come snack time at school!!

Anyone else found this with their child??

Esther x

Andrew doesn't like crisps cos they hurt his teeth!! (good one that!), but cereals of any kind make a good substitute when he wont eat anything else...... and of course there is always good old peanut butter.... on bread on crackers or just plain out of the jar!! (im currently wondering if Im going to have to make peanut butter sandwhiches for his entire school life. Even taking a jar of it on holiday for a little trip to france next week just in case it gets lonely at home!!! :lol:

Heh heh...

Well-travelled Buerre de Peanut, for the distinguished consumer!!! :lol:

(Rusty info from Standard Grade French tells me buerre means butter...hope I haven't just made a gaff through awful memory!!!)

C'est la vie!!!

A bientot, et bonne vacances, Leenz!!!

Esther x

Esther

Brilliant

That french is better than mine & I haave been here struggling for 2 years!!

Linz hope you have a good holiday in France I am sure it will be good

onwards with plain pasta again tonight.......

Nikki

Thanks but I'm pretty rusty at it....I'm kind of stuck at the old

'Je m'appelle....j'habite a....' level I'm afraid!!

I'm sure you could teach me loads more than I know, Nikki! ;)

Plain pasta....yum!!

Bon Appetit!! :P

Esther x

Edited by pookie170

Nick is a pretty fussy eater he won't try anything new... He has a big thing about textures.. he won't eat fruit unless its a small bit of banana rammed in his mouth with a ..at least try it before saying yuck but then he will eat ardennes pate till its coming out of his ears... but he will drink smooth fresh orange juice till the cows come home..

Veges well brocolli is about it but only a small floret unless he's in a real perky mood... I am finding it hard to take him out to eat it always ends up being the blasted re-constituted chicken luggets as he calls them and fries from bally macdonalds... he never puts on any weight but I do grrrr :tearful:

I have just been tidying up again and have found the packet of biscuits that went walkabout last week.. theres me thinking I left them at the shop... next time I will look behind the old sewing machine in the downstairs loo !!! how many wrappers did I find 7 and all different so then I looked all over and then there was 4 under the tv table, 8 in his toy box, 3 behind the book case... I gave up.. must get a lock for the cupboard me thinks... lol

Oh well the joys now of seeing that the larder is bare and now writing my shopping list of Nick friendly foods... ha ha takes all of 2 seconds that one but all of an hour trying to think up ways to get other foods down him... :ninja:

God, yes!!!

That's my Caghal to a tee!!!

I'm forever finding hidden biccie wrappers....he won't drink OJ with 'Bits' in....haven't tried pate but might give it a whirl.

I wrote that he hates chips.....true, unless we're talking proper Scottish Chippy variety!! Fish and chips go down a treat, but my waistline is pleading for me not to buy it too often!! Oven chips and fries are rejected firmly though.

Funny thing is that Caghal, like me, adores pickled onions and gherkins!!(salivating at the thought of it!!! must buy more!!) The amount we scoff together should have given us huge stomach ulcers by now, but I think our stomach linings must be armour-plated!! You'd think such an extreme taste would be yucky to him, but true to his unpredictable self, it is not. :wacko:

Esther x

I read somewhere that you have to introduce anew food 10 - 20 times before a picky eater will accept it. I usually give up after 3 or 4 times - its just too depressing. My non-AS son is much worse about eating than his AS brother - I've often thought he's like this to get some attention (subconsiously).

For picky eaters - I heard this tip.

Don't put the food on the child's plate but put all the food for the family meal on dishes on the middle of the table, this must include the child's favourite food. The child then watches everyone make a choice and has the option of choosing something without him being put under pressure to eat something different or without it suddenly appearing on his plate.

The hope being he tries something different one day, but it's under his control.

This may be not work for children who have difficulty making choices.

Nellie.

Sorry just had to add we have a bit of a thing going on with cheese strings at the moment, Andrew is just plain obsessed with them - he steals them from the fridge morning noon and night, oh and drinking yougarts (do you see some kind of dairy thing going on here!!) Anyhow got an appointment with a dietitian in August so you never know what could happen :lol:

Good advice, Nellie and Elanor!!! B)

Linz...all I can say is- cheese strings??

YUK!!!!!

They gross me out, as the kiddies might say! Still, as longas they eat something. I actualy read a story about a wee girl on the spectrum who eats nothing but chocolate! Her poor Mum was tearing her hair out over it, but apparently the child is getting all the nutrients she needs .The condition caused her to be revolted by every taste and texture except chocolate, but she's growing properly and all.

At least Caghal eats a small variety of things! Just be more reassuring if I could get him to eat something from all the food groups...

Esther x

I agree with the comment about cheese strings but then I don't eat them they look like rubber to me (and probably taste like it - not that I know of course) please no jokes about rubber I don't think I could take it today - anyway we have run out of the flipping things (cheese strings that is) and I am sure next time Andrew tries to find one in the fridge he is going to go mad!!!!!!!! cos hes eating the whole lot.

:huh:

I like uncooked carrots & potatoes, I'm very pernickety about fat on food too, eg: I have a pair of scissors in my kitchen for removing rind from bacon before I cook it

I'm also especially aware of the content of ready made meals, I won't have anything with Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil in, because it thins your arteries, Monosodium Glutamate is another, that is just an apetizer, you eat the food and 5 mins later you're hungry again, Emulsifiers are bad too that's the stuff that sticks the particles of meat together in a burger, Preservatives and any E-numbers I look into closely too, there are charts/lists around on the internet with most of the common E-numbers listed with their content & purpose.

I'm extremely careful about what I eat, I don't want to get fat, ill, or die young.

Well, I stand newly informed...I didn't realise what all those things were for!!! :o

My son will only eat raw vegetables too, Solaris......not that I mind as he gets more vitamins and such that way, but we have had some very odd looks in restaurants!! Not that I give a hoot, that's what he wants so that's what he'll get!!

Esther x

Hi All, First time I've posted here.

My children are like jack sprat & his wife. My son likes plain pasta, plain, bread (no butter), can't bear different foods on his plate to touch each other. I have to be sneaky to get him to try new things. But he loves broccoli, red kidney beans, and lots of veg. Its hard to get him to eat meat and fish. Likes everything thats sweet.

My daughter is always hungry, won't eat pasta or rice unless its very flavoured, likes to mix her food up! She hates anything thats green and loves salty food.

If I dish them up a meal, they clear their plates by swapping what they don't like for what they do! It gets a bit :wallbash: at times but I can always count on them eating fruit although they both prefer whats expensive, like blueberries and raspberries.

Hi

My son will only eat Campbell's Meatballs in Gravy, chicken, bacon, eggs and rice crispies or he would eat McDonalds every day. He put's piles of salt on everything and the only healthy option he will have are sweetcorn and oranges. He will also eat plain pasta or rice, won't try anything new. Drives me to distraction :wallbash:

A few weeks ago he gave up potatoes ... the list seems to get smaller all the time! :wacko:

I don't understand why my AS son will eat a wide variety of food (just not much quantity or predictability to it, seems like he won't eat for days and then won't stop eating for a few days LOL), while my NT daughter's list of ok foods has gotten so restricted that some days she eats only cheese! Food textures and smells set her off (rules out anything in the fruit category), whereas my son even eats broccoli (yuk) and even tho he can't stand the smell of juice, will drink it if he gets to use an electric juicer (have I mentioned he likes appliances?)

TG for vitamins.

My 4 year old ASD son's diet is the same 7 days a week

Breakfast: corn flakes or jam on toast

Lunch: jam sandwiches, or Billy Bear ham and dry bread seperate - either cut into 1" squares & petit filous yoghurt

Tea: Birds Eye dippers, Tesco french fries (must be thin fries not fat) - all cut into 1" squares & petit filous yoghurt

He will also have cheese on toast, yes youve guessed it 1" squares

He will not touch anything else accept wotsits, quavers or crisps. Loves nuggets and chips from McDonalds, Ive becoming a deamon at cutting em up into 1" squares, now keep a pair of scissors on me at all times.

He is happy and healthy accept for alot of diarreah, but if I didn't feed him this he'd eat nothing, he'd rather starve. Ive tried everything to get him to try other things, but nothing works.

Ive now reached the stage as someone said earlier, if it aint broke don't fix it, I just accept this is his diet and stick to it.

Jo

my tom happily eats sandwiches day and night, show him a roast and he will practically vomit there and then,

used to loove cheese sarnies, now only likes chicken and jam, not together i hasten to add lol.

He will eat macdonalds funny that lol.

I wonder if were storing up trouble for later on in life but if he wont eat it he wont and thats that !!!

Maybe he will vary his diet someday, he will eat yogurt and drink milkshake though, so at least hes getting some dairy lol :sick:

My son gets up 2-3 times in the night to eat! Does anyone else have this problem?

I get up every morning to the smell of boiled eggs :sick: and he eats 3 at a time!

Apart from staying up all night, i don't have any other idea's :wacko: