Sign in to follow this  
jayjay

picture cards or pecs

Hi all, i wonder if anyone could help me, i am after some form of picture cards or pecs to help my son understand things on a visual level as the teacher says that it would help him alot. i am afraid i am new to this so not sure what would best suit him and i have searched about but cant find a site where i can buy them off. Thanks for your time on this. :thumbs:

jayne xx

Sam had his given him by his speech therapist.

His school uses Widget 2000 software to generate any new ones he needs.

Makaton also use a picture system. The trick is to find the symbols that holds meanings for your son and use them.

Wityh Nathan I had to make photo cards of everything he used as a symbol was not enough for him to make the connection.

if you have a digital camera and a printer then you can make them yourself.

best to buy a laminator too

their is boardmaker but i think that is expensive

photos of things can be ideal,

also overboard offer a free trial you can download it here.

overboard

I am sure their are more, but those are the ones that i know of.

I have made up picture cards and PECS using photos.

Also you can search the web for images (usung google), like if you wanted a picture of a favourite cartoon character, or a symbol for shops, restaurants etc as i have done this too, and copied images from online webpages for shops.

hope this helps

Edited by something_different

PECS is slightly different to the Widget software - coloured pictures instead of black & white rebus drawings. My son did much better with colour (including photos) to start off with. The Pics for PECS CD is a cheap way of getting started. Scroll down here:

http://www.pecs.org.uk/shop/asp/default.asp

A quick way to start is on the do to learn website where you can dowload some symbols for free ... just check with school etc to make sure that you don't confuse issues by using a different system ... although your message sort of implies the school aren't using any system :huh: