Sign in to follow this  
nellie

SEN Toolkit & SEN Code of Practice

SEN toolkit

The SEN toolkit, mainly for schools and LEAs, contains practical advice on how to implement the Code. It should be read in conjunction with the Code. Each section of the toolkit has a number of pages designed to be copied and used as slides for training purposes. Obtained free - Tele 0845 60 222 60.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/s...istant/toolkit/

[*]2 class books to join the SEN toolkit

Theres also 2 really good books for teachers which would be good in their SEN toolkit.

Asperger syndrome a practical guide for teachers by Val cumie, Julie Leach and Gill Stevenson which looks underlying issues and implications and give practical strategies . It also looks at things from the childs point of view with an "Asperger Lens" which is helpful.

Another is AS - practical strategies for the class room by the NAS and Leicester city council.

Both books look at common issues , why they happen and what the teacher can do to assist the child.

Both books are used by the local co-ordinator for the complex social communication project in my county, which gives support to all teachers in the area.

Regards

L

The problem I would point out with the Toolkit is section 7 regarding quantification of statement provision. Our LEA consistently uses section 7 as a reason not to quantify and be less specific (if child is attending special school or resource unit). The Toolkit should be read in conjunction with the Code, however, it is the Code that is statutory guidance, not the toolkit. I went to tribunal for my son just over a week ago and the first thing the chair said is that in making decisions he looks at the Code of Practice and the 1996 Education Act, he held them up so we could all see and not once (to my relief!!) did he hold up or mention the Toolkit. The Toolkit was the primary reason the LEA did not want to be very specific or quantify. Section 7 of the Toolkit, I think, contradicts the Education Act (96), Code of Practice and case law. There is some useful guidance in the rest of it though.

i am on the brink of alcoholism!!my son aged 7 has severe dyspraxia(on the autistic spectrum),severe dyslexia and asperger traits ie obsessiveness.he has been on school action plus for 2 yrs despite me going to the teacher and head every week.in feb this yr the teacher said i should accept my son for who he is and that he will always be a slow learner and that he is working at pre school level despite being nr the end of yr 2.the school would only admit they couldnt meet his needs when i involved parent partnership and left it to me to action the statementing process.his teacher refuses to move him from the back of the room or differentiate for his disabilities.surely this isnt normal practise??

Wend

Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of people her who understandwhere you are now.

I am sorry you have had no replies so far, but there are relatively few people online at this time of night.

If the school is unwilling to go down that road, you need to apply for a statement yourself, initially by witing to the LEA requesting an assessment. You will find plenty of information here on that.

As far as the immediate situation is concerned, your LEA should have an Autism outreach service, the school should be willing to request a visit so they can advise on any appropriate interventions. You mau also wish to speak to the NAS helpline. They also produce several useful booklets that you may wish to order and pass to the school.

You may also wish to request that your child has an Occupational Therapy asessment and a Sppech and Language asessment. You should also apply for DLA as this will give you mre options if your application is successful.

Simon

Hi Wend,

go to www.ipsea.org they have template letters you can use and also a helpline number if you need to speak to some one through the process. It is draining. I have been through it with my son and was on the brink of insanity! Also, IPSEA or the disability rights comission could advise you on the reasonable steps and reasonable adjustments that school must make so that your son is not placed at a disadvantage because of his disability. The schools have a duty now to take these steps. It does not sound like they are. I hope you get sorted out.

Angel

SEN toolkit

The SEN toolkit, mainly for schools and LEAs, contains practical advice on how to implement the Code. It should be read in conjunction with the Code. Each section of the toolkit has a number of pages designed to be copied and used as slides for training purposes. Obtained free - Tele 0845 60 222 60.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/s...istant/toolkit/

my son aged 7 has severe Dyspraxia and Dyslexia and I have had the greatest fight of my life to get him statemented.Currently they are offering a note in lieu but 10 hrs a wk until spring 2006.He is now refusing to attend school and is severely distressed and disturbed.My solicitors are confident of overturning this offer but I wondered if anyone had any advice in persuading LEA's to up their offer and how to deal with these people. I have a good support network of professionals on my side but how do you convince the LEA that the school has lied and misrepresented your childs needs in order to cover their own backs?Also why does my son save his severest behaviour just for me and not do it in school?

any comments would be helpful. :wallbash:

Also why does my son save his severest behaviour just for me and not do it in school?

any comments would be helpful. :wallbash:

My son does not kick off in school very often these days but it is something he used to do a lot.

He wants to be like the other children and has learnt to hold on to his anxieties. At school he can give the appearnace of coping most of the time.

It takes a while for children with an ASD to process what is happening and therefore they may not react to what has happened until hours later. If you can let the school know what is happening when your son gets home and ask them to let you know of anything that happens throughout his school day not matter how insignificant it may seem it might help you deal with his behaviout at home or at least be prepared for it.

I know how it feels to have a child who kicks off when they get home from school my son does it. He is now 14 and because he has a better understanding than he did when he was in his primary years it is easier to talk him down and give him an understanding of what happened.

Hope this helps. >:D<<'>

Diane