reuby2

Noise

Has anyone else the same experience.My son tends to put into his day certain amounts of "imagining" time where he runs up and down and does not want to be spoken to or interrupted. However I have noticed that he gets annoyed at me and hubby when we are talking and sometimes shouts ...STOP TALKING.......

He is doing this more and more and if I tell him off for something he tends to have a tantrum where he grits his teeth and clenches his fists and kind of screams through his teeth.He shouts... stop talking..stop talking...

He has even started to do his imagining at the table sometimes and if i try to speak he says "I am imagining" and I have to be quiet.From the outside you wouldn't know he was doing anything, he is just quiet.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Edited by reuby2

yes but my boy age 6 says shut up be quiet ithink because he can't concentrate on what he's thinking or doing and he hates us singing even more mind u i don't blame him

My youngest does this if there is more than 2 people taking part in one conversation. He goes mad when there are 'too many voices'. He gets really confused when this happens and tends to become verbally aggresive and tearful.

Lauren

My youngest son has a thing about anyone laughing at the moment, especially me !

he's trying to dictate what I watch on the tv, NO canned laughter :rolleyes:

makes you realise how many shows have this, never really noticed unless it was something totally unfunny :wacko:

God forbid he tries to stop me talking, I will burst :lol::lol:

wac

My daughter has a thing about the radio. I listen to Radio 4 all the time at home and she hates it and takes every opportunity to switch it off. We have major upsets over this - and that's just me, as it's one of the few things I refuse to compromise on. We have reached the stage where she'll just shut the door or ask me to please turn it down. That's progress!!

I do keep trying to tell him to go into another room if he doesn't like it but he just shouts even louder, I feel really controlled sometimes and I want to try to stop this controlling behaviour.

Sometimes it is as if he thinks he controls the whole world and they must act as he wants or else he can't cope. I don't know whether this is an ASD thing or just spoilt behaviour.

Any tips would be gratefully appreciated.

My daughter is terrible about noise - although this gets much worse if she's either not well or stressed over something.

I know I have many a row with her when she tells me or anyone else to shut up when we're talking in the same room - and I tell her to go to her room.

She struggles with conversations when more than two people are talking - but in particular she doesn't like it when she's doing something like watching tv, or reading or playing on the PC/DS - and you're having a conversation with someone else in the same room or even in the hallway.

When I've talked over this with her she doesn't like the mumbling noises, the sounds of something that she can't hear outrightly she finds it annoying to the point of hurting her head.

We have a boiler fitted to the outside wall - and it took ages to work out what she meant when every time she went into the garden she would go on and on about the noise as she walked past the wall and how she couldn't stand it. Eventually she said it sounded like a load of bees buzz buzzing all the time - my hubbie pressed his ear up against the wall and he could hear the boiler making a humming noise - it was barely audible to us yet to her it was so loud.

Edited by jb1964

noise problems fall into a few categories

hyperacuisis - where the noise appears to be amplified to an extraordinary extent. Children often cover their ears!

figure ground problems - where the background noise cannot be filtered - "cocktail party syndrome"

processing speed difficulties - where speech or language becomes as though the words merge or parts of the words may "disappear"

filtering and gating problems - where there is effectively a filter applied and changes the tone

synesthesia - where other sensory systems interact with auditory susystem

tinnitus - internal tone production

some of these cause speech and language defects and should be addressed by ENT / SLT departments

Some of these can be addressed by visual perception modification VERY successfully

Hi Reuby2,

Kai behaves in a similar way too. He gets really annoyed if anyone talks when he is in his little "world". He says, "Grrr. Now i have to start all over again". He is especially grumpy if he is disturbed when he is thinking anything about trains.

If anyone is in the house with me and we are chatting, he says, "Stop talking!".

He does not like the radio on either. He gets quite anxious about it and wants it off.

Sometimes i think he is just being spoilt too, but i'm sure it's a sensory thing. If we are out and a baby is crying, he gets really anxious and shouts, "Shut that baby up!". Embarassing!

The only advice i have is that i say to Kai that he must ask politely if music/TV/talking is bothering him. Hasn't worked so far,but i'll keep trying!

Loulou x

Thanks everyone for replying,

I did think about getting him some earplugs to use if the noise was bothering him, does anyone know where to get ear defenders for kids?

Thanks again, everyone take care >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi

Ds has this problem as well. My husband and I simply cannot have a conversation of any reasonable duration when ds is in the room and as he has turned into a clingon at the moment this is making life impossible. It is the same everywhere except at other people's houses instead of yelling at us to stop talking he runs about and shows his anxiety by behaving in a very silly way.

He cannot be distracted and I get fed up with people telling me it's attention seeking. He is especially bad when we are on the telephone. He does it because he can't cope with the noise. This I find highly amusing as he is an extremely noisy child and he does not stop talking from morning till night also he wants the television on continuoulsy and gets very stressed if it is not. I can only imagine that this is because he hates the sound of silence - to him there is no such thing - the predictable tv talk of the children's programmes drowns out whatever noise he dislikes. He hates me watching the news or any programme involving random talking like on daytime tv which I don't do very often but sometimes its nice to chill out with a cup of tea and some adult telly.

When I organised I am going to look into social story for this type of thing to attempt to teach him what to do when he can't handle the noise of people talking.

:D klou that is the very same as my son

i never get to hear a conversation or end one-all i get is the middle bit of a half of sentance

i swear my son has sonic ears he can tell when im going make a phone call -then like a shot hes there at the door making all sorts up just so i cant hear or speak on the phone.