Sign in to follow this  
Cristy

The GF/CF Diet

Hey there everyone, few days ago I said that I would be glad to help with this diet, so I'll go ahead and get started here, right now, I only have a few minutes, but will provide a few basic info's for ya...I'll keep posting and answer questions you have (I want to help, it seems hard and overwhelming, but you'll make it!)

here are some must do's:

(1) kids need calcium, which predominately comes from dairy

I crush calcium pills and put in my boy's pancakes

there are supplements that you can give as well, plus liquid calcium that doesn't taste bad

(2) kids need supplements, I get mine online and also at GFC (will have to remind you of the name, don't have on me at this very moment)

(3) I give my son flax oil, this is needed for brain functioning, I put liquid form in his pancakes, muffins, stuff like that

check out this website http://www.gfcfdiet.com/

it has a list of things that are and are not sutible for the child, even has an additives list...here in a bit (when I've got more time, gotta fix lunch right now) I'll give a small list of some things we eat, plus I'll tell you how we got through our 'struggles to eat' when beginning...

any questions please ask, I'll be back later...I hope this is a good beginning, I find it better to give bits of info in small increments, it sinks in better.

Some easier grocery store foods and stuff:

1. corn, safflower, olive oils (corn meal, good to use for homemade nuggets)

2. Fischers bologna, we use thick sliced (fried especially tasty)

3. Ballpark hotdogs

4. Ore Ida shoestring fries, tator tots (and most others)

5. Vance's Dairy Free milk (misses A LOT of addtives, make in a blender) online or at some local health food stores

6. all fruits and veggies (pretty much, the basics)

7. eggs, scrambled/fried is good, although some kids can't have eggs

8. Aunt Jemima plain pancake syrup

9. Jiff and Skippy peanut butter, plain, or Smucker's natural

10. smuckers spreadables (I use strawberry and grape)

11. for bread for these things, I use the gluten/casein free types (rice) sold at health food stores, warm them in toaster untouched by regular bread!!

12. Lay's plain regular chips (yellow bag), Ruffles plain (blue bag)

13. Nerd's candy

14. Starbursts (plain, yellow package)

15. Minute Maid juice boxes (calcium enriched)

16. Quinoa spaghetti (gluten free) at health food stores

17. Muir Glen sauce (we use portabella mushroom)

18. Armor Vienna Sausages

19. Frito's corn chips

20. regular Skittles

21. Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles (with Fred and Barney)

22. white rice

Thanks for that Cristy. :)

And for shoppers in the UK, a phone call to the Head Office of any major supermarket should result in you being sent a list of all their products that specifically avoid certain ingredients. For example, you can request their diary free range sheets, or Gluten free range sheets.

Elefan

Morning all!

Has anyone with a child on the cfgf diet found dairy-free yoghurts that are nice to eat?

Both my younger children (NT) have severe, multiple food allergies, including all dairy.

Over the years I have tried various soya yoghurts, etc, but none have been particularly appetising!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bid :wacko:

Hi Bid!

At Edinburgh train station, I was handed a bag of freebie soya yoghurts, which I took home and tried with Caghal. They were vanilla flavour and absolutely scrumptious!!

I'm sure they're called 'ALPRO' soya desserts....but they were dashed delicious! Just like custard, really. So give 'em a try.

Good luck,

Esther x

Cheers Esther!

I shall investigate these yoghurts...

Auriel had his full assessment with the EP yesterday, and she came armed with lots of info about diets.

I did ask him again if he wanted to try, and he was very definite that he really didn't want to try.

I must admit to being a bit relieved, because with my two youngest having severe food allergies, I already have to cook 2 or 3 different meals (even if I do a recipe where I take out the littley's helpings before adding anything they are allergic to, it is still very time consuming!).

But it would be nice to find some 'puddingy' things they will eat.

Thanks,

Hi Bid -

Puds!

Ben loves milk jellies made with soya or rice milk and Swedish Glace ice-cream which is absolutely delicious. AIA aren't too keen on the latter, but Ben eats it often and it definitely doesn't effect him. Sponge puddings are easy peasy (doves farm flour) 5 mins start to finish in the microwave and i defy anyone to tell the difference. Alpro cream or custard on top, yum yum! pity I can't eat em too...

Also, meringue nests and fresh fruit go well with Alpro cream, if your kids don't get a "sugar buzz"...

Sainsbury's and tesco's both now do quite comprehensive "free from" ranges, but not all branches carry all products. Again, AIA are a bit wary about their labelling, but personally I've found most products ok for Ben, though I'd accept that some kids are more severely intolerent than he is.

If nothing else, try the sponge puds and the Swedish Glace, you'll be pleasantly surprised, I'm sure...

Swedish glace was a hit for my little 'un too!! I even liked it,...and I like my Mr Whippy!! No comments, CarolJ!! :rolleyes:

Bid, I can't remember the name of the yogs my little girl used to have,...Yofu Junior seems to ring a bell though. Had no 'bits',...which was also important!

Good luck. I understand how difficult it is. As I mentioned before,..my little girl who also has allergies/intollerences came on in leaps and bounds with the help of a homeopath! Defies my understanding,...but it truly worked.

Elefan

xx

Thanks guys!

We have already discovered the Swedish glace pud, which I agree is scrummy! Unfortunately it seems to have disappeared from our local Tesco, and I keep meaning to ask if it is no longer available.

Incidentally, if you carefully turn out an entire tub of the Swedish glace upside down on a plate, you can decorate it with sprinkles, etc, and turn it into an ice cream birthday cake!

I have further problems because my youngest has a severe egg allergy, too. I have found that often the various 'free from' foods unfortunately contain something like eggs, or if they are egg-free they contain milk. And my favourite gripe is one particular brand which contains a warning that they have been made in a factory using nuts, so we can't buy those either!!

It is very difficult with 2 children with severe multiple food allergies, especially as they have slightly different ones each.

Only 2 months ago I had to use my youngest's Epipen because another child who had eaten cheese touched him or he touched the cheese (we weren't sure which). He certainly hadn't eaten the cheese, but had touched his mouth and eyes, and his airways still started to close. So it can be really scary.

I think it is interesting that severe food allergies seem to appear in quite a number of families with ASD too.

It would be interesting if research was done on the incidence of ASD and food allergies. I'm sure there is a link.

Edited by bid

Yeep!

Poor you, Bid!

I once had to administer a dose form an Epipen to a child in my care- another child had just finished a bag of peanuts, and all it took was them touching to trigger the allergy!! Scary moment!!!

Are food allergies also linked to things like leaky gut syndrome?

Always asking questions, I am!!

Esther x

I'm not sure about the link with leaky gut, Esther.

But another thing I find interesting, is that my youngest was treated at Great Ormond Street for bowel problems when he was a baby. Luckily he outgrew the problem by the time he was about 18 months, but it made me even more convinced that he shouldn't have MMR.

pookie170 Posted on Jul 22 2004, 12:23 AM

Are food allergies also linked to things like leaky gut syndrome?

Hi Pookie - In terms of "allergy induced autism" leaky gut is part of the intolerence, because (it's theorised) morphine-like enzymes found in dairy and gluten pass through the gut, into the bloodstream and then through the blood-brain barrier...

Don't know if leaky gut is implicated in non-asd allergies or whether it's more "direct". Hope that's helpful...

Bid- you poor ol' thing... didn't realise egg/nuts etc also problematic for yours; must be a bleedin' nightmare! Wouldn't know where to start in your situ., but referring back to an earlier thread of Elefen's, the major supermarkets will do lists of own brand that contain egg and nuts too. i guess though, by the time you've cross ref'd the four different lists for dairy/gluten/egg/nuts the remainder will be pretty slim.

Swedish Glace is also stocked at Holland & Barrett and other health stores if your supermarket's a bit hit and miss. good luck :D

Hi baddad,

Hee hee...just to make my life even more interesting one of my two food allergy sufferers has loads of more 'minor' allergies, including such odd things as cucumber, apricots, bananas, lemon, baked beans, sesame, peas, olive oil, cherries, honey and latex!! Her severe allergies are to dairy, fish and nuts. On the plus side, she did outgrow her severe egg allergy by the age of 6 (although she doesn't 'liiiike' eggs!)

Bless her, despite all that she is the least 'picky' of my 4 and has the best appetite. :wub:

The youngest is just severely allergic to dairy and eggs. Although when he was going through his bowel problem phase, he was intolerant to wheat and soya too. He is a nightmare to feed because he just won't eat anything much. :tearful:

Someone up there clearly thinks I have too much time on my hands!

Swedish glace was a hit for my little 'un too!! I even liked it,...and I like my Mr Whippy!! No comments, CarolJ!!

Elefan, what do you take me for [cue shocked innocent expression] tut tut? Can you let me know then this is released on DVD and Video (what is the rating for it) - it sounds like a very slightly mucky film!

Seriously though, this thread looks really promising. As of yet, I have not started to implement the diet for my two, but am definitely going to start now the holidays are here. I thought it best to start whilst they are at home, so that the withdrawals I have heard about will perhaps be better managed and less stressful in their own home (for me at least!).

I have just finished out filling the forms for peptide tests and will post them to Univ of Sunderland, I had to get medical details etc. - wracking my brains and checking developmental records - as they are quite indepth. I have found it quite amusing because it asks you about the type of "stools" your child produces [colour, consistency, shape ie sausage or flat!), of course with my scottie, this is easy! But with Emma I had to monitor her movements LOL! Luckily she has an aversion to wiping her bottom and screams for me to do it! I have tried to examine said examples by trying to remove the half a roll of (unused) andrex from the toilet in order to see exactly what shape and consistenncy of said offering! Emma looking at me (asking what I was doing) as if I was indeed of more medication :lol:

The things we have to do!

The results should come back very quickly!

Am very interested to see what you all do with the diets.

P.S. Bid I was interested to read the question of history of family allergy. As far as I am aware in our family we have no history of food allergy - digustingingly healthy lot, but what we have noticed is my neice who has childhood asthma/eczma and has had multiple sterioid creams antibiotics has recently been diagnosed with irritable bowel. This has been diagnosed since her trip to Kenya with the school (at the beginning of the year).

There are numerous reports of the rises in IBD in teenagers, could this all be down to factors including antibiotics, see my earlier post. I know also of many adults who have developed IBD and Chrons in later life. Again, what is causing all these "intollerances".

I have to admit I dont like antibiotics, or if I do take them I never finish them! Slap I know but I have never trusted them - it was a gut (forgive the pun) feeling with them.

I know doctors now are being more vigiliant about prescribing antibiotics because of superbugs (as well as MRSA).

All I know for all our technical and social advances and awareness we seem to be getting sicklier as time goes on. Blimely a nation of "Dot Cottons"!

Will let you all know what happens with tests etc.

Edited by CarolJ

Aha!

Carol, this is what I was wanting to know about. My docs say that they can't assist with intolerance tests as the Health Board for our area says it's too expensive and not beneficial enough.(? :huh: ?)

I won't go into my feelings on that one....imagine, if you will!! :wallbash:

How do you get them tested by the Uni. of Sunderland? How do I get the forms?

Carol, o fountain of knowledge, please help!!

I wouldn't have problems examining Caghal's poo-I'm chief botty wiper in our gaff, too! And as he performs at least 3-5 times a day, the opportunities would not be wanting!!

Eww....gross....the things we do indeed!!

Esther x

I know doctors now are being more vigiliant about prescribing antibiotics because of superbugs (as well as MRSA). 

I read somewhere that Garlic may prove to be the answer to superbugs.....the scientific name for the extract is allicin....but as it's non-profitable, it's not often prescribed...

I just wanted to report that I've found some marvellous GF breakfast cereal. It's made by a Canadian company called Envirokids and it tastes great! I found it in Boots the Chemists, beside the baby foods. There's four or five different flavours, like Cocoa, Frosted flakes, Cinnamon (DIVINE!!!!) and butterscotchy stuff too. All have been given the seal of approval in my house.

Only problem is, Elijah's favourite is the Gorilla Crunch stuff, the butterscotchy one, and the wee balls of cereal take a while to soften.....breakfast now takes forever!!

Esther x

Edited by pookie170

I just wanted to report that I've found some marvellous GF breakfast cereal. It's made by a Canadian company called Envirokids and it tastes great! I found it in Boots the Chemists, beside the baby foods. There's four or five different flavours, like Cocoa, Frosted flakes, Cinnamon (DIVINE!!!!) and butterscotchy stuff too. All have been given the seal of approval in my house.

Only problem is, Elijah's favourite is the Gorilla Crunch stuff, the butterscotchy one, and the wee balls of cereal take a while to soften.....breakfast now takes forever!!

Esther x

Hi, Pooks -

Just to say you can get some of the enviro kids stuff in Sainsbury's (including Gorrilla Crunch). Some branches keep them in the "freefrom" section, others in "organic". Also in organic you can find some doves farm stuff, including cornflakes and choco pops. Tesco's don't carry such a wide range, but do do some "chocolate stars" in organic section which Ben loves.

If you think you are going to forge ahead, I can send the stuff I did for a friend's talk at earlybirds... Carol J's had a copy, so you can ask her discretely if she found it useful. Don't worry, I'll not be offended if I hear no more! :D

:wub: 'n' :pray:

I'm going to add a couple of ideas in here for those on restrictive diets, only because I have had to have a very restrictive diet over the years.

Those who remove dairy products and other complex fats from their diet still need essential fatty acids. Good sources are seeds. For kids toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds offer a great alternative to snacks that they can't have like nuts or crisps,...not only that if you buy in bulk they are very cheap. I just toast them on a skillet or heavy frying pan and they are really yummy TV snack food as well as a tasty thing to add to salads and stir fries. I pop a wee tub of them into lunch packs as well. You don't have to toast them, I've a jar of (in the raw uncooked) sunflower seed sitting in front of the pooter, yum scrum.

There have been various mentions of Alpro products...in my view they are the very best of the soya products on the open market so far...I've been testing products for years and the great thing is that Alpro don't have a *niff* that puts kids off (and me for that matter).

Tuna to me is the best oily fish esp. for kids...I know there are some issues here with the way it is caught/toxins etc. each must weigh it up for themselves. Now, I mean fresh tuna (or Bonito) and not tinned. Most of the kids that I have given it have been unable to tell me that it was actually fish because it is so meaty. Big thing...NO BONES. I rub a bit of Chipotle Oil over it and griddle it...one meal that nearly all families can eat together whatever their allergies.

A fantastic form of gut gentle protein is sprouted beans and it is such fun for kids to sprout their own. Alfalfa and mung are our favourites.

For those who worry about using antibiotics there are quite a number of early ports of call that may save you from going down that route. Our most commonly used natural antibiotic is bee propolis. Bee Propolis is what the bees line the baby bee cells with, it is a natural antibiotic and antiviral that works both aerobically and anaerobically. The best that I have found is Forever Living Products but there are many very excellent other brands on the market.

Garlic is as someone mentioned an excellent cleanser, it has antiseptic and antiviral properties (from what I can remember), great for colds and flus. You can buy odourless garlic tablets.

Aloe Vera has wonderful properties that can help asthma and excema as well as reinforcing the immune system, you can buy it in various forms and I have found that the drink, although unpalatable on it's own, is most effective. I tend to mix it with apple jiuce.

Acidophilis will help to rebalance the gut of anyone who has had to take antiobiotics...it's the friendly bacteria.

I only offer these up as suggestions and I would suggest that anyone interested should research products and foods further before just taking them. Most of the information that I have had over the years has come from reputable homeopaths, naturopaths and nutritionalists.

Cait