mum22boys

My GP's 'cure' for ASD!!!!

I took M to the doctors the other day. He came home from school saying he felt cold and shivery. he had a high temperature. Later he said it hurt when he did a wee so immediately i thought perhaps he has a urine infection. Now as you all can appreciate I had to quickly convince m we needed to go to the doctor. It was 6.15 and luckily they said we could come straight away. Not much time to prepare m as we had to rush out the door.

Got to the doctors and went straight in. First problem was there was a trainee doctor in with him. I was so much of a rush that I didn't think it would be a problem. the doctor wanted M to wee in the sample pot to test it. he asked me if i thought it would be possible. Now I know from experience on this one it is very difficult particually when you have a child that can't accept anything different happening in their day. He asked me to take M to the loo to try. So I did. M was not happy he was frowning and verging on a tantrum. Once we got to the stage of him trying to throw it down the toilet I gave up.

Went back in the doctors room and told him he was verging on a tantrum and it wasn't possible. Doctor then asks M if he can look at his willy to check if he has an infection. m starts shouting 'No it's my body not yours' then attempts to throw the urine pot at the doctor. The doctor looked at me and said ' perhaps you could get a sample later, what you need is a sticker chart for him, have you seen supernanny'

SUPERNANNY - I need more than that!!!!

I told him I was way past supernanny and had he seen M's notes.

I then told him - this is my life day in day out. I live walking on eggshells and no sticker chart will change that. And I have to wait a year for assessment!!!

How nice it must be to have the two perfect children he has and not have to face the problems we have.

But then we just need supernanny don't we. :lol:

I would have done the same as madmooch. Do they read the notes before we are seen. I have had something similar happen to me during a blood test with my AS son Keegan. The lady asked him to give his date of birth and name, he stammers and when he took a while to answer and he could not remember the year he was born in she said "What can't you remember your own date of birth or your name" When i explained the situation to her she quickly changed her tune....

I have often said to my other half that if K had a physical disability (i.e. in wheel chair/hearing aid/limb missing) then people would not judge but because he looks like everyone else people just reckon that he is naughty!!!!

Justamom

Not quite the same thing, but when I took my baby to the health visitor's clinic to be weighed last Thursday, my Ds1 came with me. The health visitor (who is aware of him) was talking to me about his language and communication and said what I've heard a zillion times : "Read to him".

An excellent idea, but - as I told her - I've been doing that literally since he was born. He has a bedtime story every night and a couple of books read to him in the day and he loves looking at the books himself. I point to the pictures and he has a range from the very simple one word per page books to things like Beatrix Potter and A A Milne. I ask him questions about the books and if he shows any response praise him for it.

Well, he can now remember passages out of some of his books and repeats them back and is a budding bibliophile. But he still doesn't communicate with spontaneous language or engages with you unless you're needed for something.

I took M to the doctors the other day. He came home from school saying he felt cold and shivery. he had a high temperature. Later he said it hurt when he did a wee so immediately i thought perhaps he has a urine infection. Now as you all can appreciate I had to quickly convince m we needed to go to the doctor. It was 6.15 and luckily they said we could come straight away. Not much time to prepare m as we had to rush out the door.

Got to the doctors and went straight in. First problem was there was a trainee doctor in with him. I was so much of a rush that I didn't think it would be a problem. the doctor wanted M to wee in the sample pot to test it. he asked me if i thought it would be possible. Now I know from experience on this one it is very difficult particually when you have a child that can't accept anything different happening in their day. He asked me to take M to the loo to try. So I did. M was not happy he was frowning and verging on a tantrum. Once we got to the stage of him trying to throw it down the toilet I gave up.

Went back in the doctors room and told him he was verging on a tantrum and it wasn't possible. Doctor then asks M if he can look at his willy to check if he has an infection. m starts shouting 'No it's my body not yours' then attempts to throw the urine pot at the doctor. The doctor looked at me and said ' perhaps you could get a sample later, what you need is a sticker chart for him, have you seen supernanny'

SUPERNANNY - I need more than that!!!!

I told him I was way past supernanny and had he seen M's notes.

I then told him - this is my life day in day out. I live walking on eggshells and no sticker chart will change that. And I have to wait a year for assessment!!!

How nice it must be to have the two perfect children he has and not have to face the problems we have.

But then we just need supernanny don't we. :lol:

Oh, yes, of course SUPERNANNY, doh, why didn't we all think of that, our lives would be so much easier if we'd all thought of that earlier! :wacko: Hmmm, dr sounds like a b****y idiot! :huh:

One prescription of SUPERNANNY and bobs your uncle! :dance::dance::blink:

I too would have done what Madmooch suggested with the urine sample pot! :lol::lol:

Brook

My As son as ive said before was also born with bi lateral choanal atresia.

Once when we went to the hospital for a check up the so called dr asked now then what is the matter with youre chest today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Choanal atresia is a serious condition affecting the nasel passage.

I was ###### fumeing.I said to them right hes a file in front of yer as thick as hell im gonna leave this room and youre gonna read the bloomeing thing.Then when i come back in yed better be up to speed.

The nurse with him smirked and i stomped out.

I would have suggested tipping the pot over his head rather than down his throat.

Perhaps the GP would like some info on ASD's which next time you go shove up his nose!

aghghgghghhh. what a ........( cant say it but you all know what we think)

Nikki

Can I start the anti distraction, anti sticker chart, anti time out club? ADASCATO

I don't know what does work but if I am told sticker charts work well with toilet training issues once more :angry: ; or that I just have to think positive and stop expecting bad behaviour (well meaning friend). I get the impression most people out there - present company excepted of course - just don't have a clue.

if I was you I would contact the practice manager and have a meeting with her. Good practices should have what they call a carers list.

This list is to help you and the child, you get in to see the doctor much quicker and at more convenient times.

You could say you understand that doctors are very busy and therefore are not always aware of the patients problems. However you have a son who need routine and one who is stressed out easily. Can they put a note either on the computer or hand written on your childs notes to say...............

what ever you think is suitable. e.g. your son will mainly see Dr.............and Dr.................

He will not be asked to preform tests e.g. in a strange area where it is impossible. Maybe at home you may be able to get some urine.

Make it specific to your child

After all they are there to provide a service

Jen

i dont think much of drs

ever since they told me i had the flu

it turned out to be bacterial menigitis and septacemia and i nearly died,i only just made it in time to hospital,another 3omins id have been dead.

always always rely on your gut insticts. :dance:

3 incidents I can recall involving Dr's/hospitals

The first was when I rung for a home visit because I was having trouble breathing and was told I probably had Pleurisy and to come in on Monday. I had Pneumonia and was rushed into hospital on a drip after spending all weekend almost unconscious.

The second was when Hubby took AS DD 14yrs to the hospital for an x-ray. The nurse was asking her all sorts of questions that hubby answered as he knew she wouldn't and the nurse snapped "can't she speak for herself then?"

The third incident was at the GP's surgery. I can't even remember what the problem was but we got onto the subject of Bens AS and the dr said, "Have you tried giving him a good smack, it does wonders for naughty children?" He went on to say he didn't believe in all this new fangled ideas about kids behaviour.

Gobsmacked or what?

Oooh Gp's, don't get me started on that one!

When Kai was 2, he was seriously ill, but I didn't realise until he was VERY sick, as he didn't make a fuss. I phoned the on-call GP because i knew something was wrong and he told me to stop being such a worry, give Kai some calpol and go to bed!

Thank goodness i didn't b/c he actually had a massive tumor in his stomach that was compressing his heart and lungs :( . If i had gone to sleep, he would have died.

Since then, i don't trust a word they say.

Loulou x

PS WOULDN'T IT BE FUNNY IF SUPER NANNY WAS SENT ROUND TO "SORT OUT" OUR KIDS? sHE'D TAKE EARLY RETIREMENT!

Edited by loulou

We had a bad start with my GP (Louis was originally diagnosed with Deficit of Attention, Motor Control and Perception in Sept. 2004 - had to take him to GP and he said he'd never heard of DAMP, and that the paed probably meant ADHD, and that Louis didn't have that cos he would have run around the room 5 times in the 2 minutes we had been in there - despite Louis having the total concentration of the doctor)

But they have totally restored my faith in them.

Had a problem a month or so ago where Louis fell of the kerb in the rain, landed awkwardly on his wrist, and started crying (Louis doesn't usually cry when he hurts himself), as we were literally a minutes walk from the surgery, I persuaded him to let me take him in, and asked if there was any way the nurse could fit him in that day.

The receptionist got the nurse to see him there and then! I explained about his AS and that Louis is hypermobile, and that he doesn't usually cry when he falls. She looked at his wrist, put a bit of vaseline on the graze to stop it stinging, then called a doctor to have a look. - He came in inbetween patients to have a look and give a second opinion. He was really good with Louis, and actually made him giggle! reassured us everything was ok, and that I could bring him back anytime if his wrist seemed worse.

On the way out - another GP arrived to take a look! He had seen the note on the computer about a second opinion, so thought he would do it instead!

Lets hope they're as good next time!