Sign in to follow this  
invent 10 things b4 breakfast

Health & Safety

Are school accidents reported to you?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Does your school tell you if your child has a bump/fall or do you fin out from them?

• Yes, verbally
    • Yes, in writing
    • No

My child has had several accidents at school, mostly from bullying. I am never told about them unless he tells he. Last Friday he was pushed over from behind in the classroom and landed on a metal bit of the table with his knee - consiquenty he has been limping all weekend. The teacher (apparently) couldn't weed out the culprit. I questioned the office staff this morning and they were very vague and couldn't show me the accident book as there was more than one. They had to run it past the Headteacher :angry: Usually, I was told, they don't report things unless they are a bump to the head.

I spoke to the Disability Rights Commission and they seemed to think that it was poor Health & Safety procedures and that there should be reporting poilcies in place for reporting to parents.

I don't know what the "normal" procedure is, anyone help me - should I have been told about this? :o

I hope this poll works, my last one didn't :lol:

My As son goes to a special school and they tend not to tell me about every day bumps and scrapes.But they do have an accident book and they are put into this.

If theres been a major incident the school will phone me and tell me about it they dont send a letter incase it goes astray.

Now my daughter and her school what can i say.

She attends a mainstream school.Currently in year 9.I get to hear sod all about what goes on.

She once fell over at school in PE and badley injured her arm to the point where she couldnt move it.NO one telephoned me up or let me know.Shed to spend all day in agony.When she came home id to take her to cassualty for an xray.Luckily it was just sevearley bruised and strained.

I phoned the school and played hell fire.Said they should have called me and what on earth made them make her spend all day at school unable to move her arm.I pulled her from the school shortley after and found her another high school.It was the last straw in a long line of complaints.

When she was at nursery she fell and banged herself between the legs.No one checked her apparently they aint allowed and no one called me.It was only when i undressed her and saw blood in her knickers that she managed to say shed hurt herself at nursery.I phoned the place and againe gave them hell.Yes i realised they couldnt check her but why didnt they call me to check her.I was at home all day as i dont work and only 5 minutes away from the nursery.

Ive a list of whinges and complaintes but ill spare yer.

Edited by Paula

by law they have to record it in the accident book then tell you in writtingon the same day,any other incidents to be recorded in incident book.,Everyone dealing with children ie.childminders,playschools and schools etc have to do this by law.

I voted no!

Last year P hit her head at school, this happened in the morning. P went to the sick room three time during the day because she felt ill, she also told the helper who said "don't worry you'll feel fine in a minute" As I have said before P has a problem with expressing herself so she probably could not tell them exactly how she was feeling. By the end of the day she was quite badly sick, the teacher did come out and inform me that P had been sick, she looked as white as a ghost and was ill for the rest of the evening. It was not till later when P felt a little better that she said she had a important note in her bag, this is when i found out that P had hit her head. The teacher never mentioned this when she told me she had been sick. You can imagine how I felt, P is also got a dx of epilepsy. I went in and saw the head the next day and she said she would deal with it. I should of been imformed of it as soon as it happened.

Generally no, I don't get told, but in the case of head bumps we get the obligatory letter advising us to watch out for the usual signs. Even so I do know of occasions when he's had a head bump and we've not had a letter.

Occasionally I will be informed but it's not the general case. If J's been in an altercation that's resulted in some sort of visible sign he'll go barmy if I try to ask about it because it reminds him of the incident, so he's highly unlikely to share that sort of thing with me. I did look up the legal position about reporting accidents and I believe schools are only obliged to tell parents if the incident has resulted in hospital treatment. Even first-aid incidents don't warrant informing parents (I've had a few of those). As long as it's not deemed serious they don't have to tell. I think it should be different for our kids though, especially those that won't share information with their parents voluntarily.

Karen

x

We have got letters about head bumps shoved in the boys school bag but unless I search the bags I'd never know they were there. J had an argument with another lad last year and hurt his arm (we never got to the bottom of exactly how). He went in after lunch and sat through the rest of the day with no one noticing he was in pain. His teacher not only didn't say anything she actually gave him a rough time of it that afternoon because he wouldn't write and sent a letter home saying he was unco-operative. It wasn't til he got off the school bus and his twin told me he was hurt that we headed for A&E to find it was badly broken.