rainbow queen

is there any good holiday places you have been to in uk with your children?

Hi

My son needs to know where he's going, and what he'll be doing there - we plan holidays with scrapbooks, and posters, and (when he was younger) daily schedules. All these take the anxiety out of holidays, and so his difficulties are reduced. We also look for places where we can have some space (he always has his own room) and some privacy. Look for a place that has lots of information on the web, and in brochures, so that you can do this planning.

I'd always recommend Centerparcs - we've been there lots of times, and they are peaceful, well-organised and aware of special needs. They're not cheap! Last year we went to a caravan park in Devon, on the beach, and had a great time. It's all in the planning!

Elanor

We camp... same side of same field, same two weeks every year... and oh how I'd like to try the south of France instead of sunny Wales one of these years! But to C, it's the unmissable highlight of his year, and the nearest he gets to freedom. (It also has a railway line running right by the side of the site -- his idea of perfection!)

We go to CenterParcs mainly.

J and H's special school take a much more relaxed attitude to holidays in term time than some schools do, as they appreciate that the school holidays aren't always the best time to take an Autistic child for a holiday.

Going out of term means CenterParcs are quiet and makes the cost manageable (Although they are not a cheap option). We always go to the same part of the Same Park (Cumbria) to the same type of lodge which isn't very adventurous but means the kids settle in sas soon as they get there. We are going again at the end of the month (The week after half term).

One nice thing is they have tricycles for hire for children/adults with balance problems, which are very expensive to buy, J spends as much time as he can riding around the park (which is largely car-free) which does wonders for his fitness and self-esteem.

Simon

We go on the net and find cottages in places we like e.g. went to Dorset last year, going to Cornwall this year. You can pick a cottage quite easily that fits your specific criteria e.g. secure garden being a biggy for us!

Last year we stayed at a lovely cottage on a farm that had its own private swimming pool (not v big, but still) and that was excellent.

We rarely spend more than ?400 for the week - but that's in term time cos The Boy isn't at school yet.

This suits us well - we can go for days out, we know we have somewhere to go back to if he gets stressed, the garden is available for safely running off steam, we can watch telly and have a bevvy or sit in the garden and have a bevvy when he goes to bed & know he's nearby & safe.

Guest flutter

mossgrove that where i meant lol

we are off there in easter hols

hope you and yours are all doin ok

C xxx

We camp, same tent same stuff same campsite same places........... :lol:

I found a nice quite campsite a long way up a small track that even Sam cannot escape from onto a main road before we notice he has gone AWOL.

Caravan and Camping Club has a list of sites that indicate if they accept disabilities.

The best EVER was in Kent but Nathan hates traveling through london so that became a nono for us.

We go to Fisherground farm in Eskdale where there are log cabins, (only 3, so quiet) it's in the middle of nowhere but has a great play area and it's own station! There are also little pools where the kids can raft and it's only knee deep. The kids love it out of season when there are no tents in the nearby campsite. The campers use the play area and the kids like it to themselves.

You can google their website if you're interested, but I expect there are some other self-catering places out in the country.

every year are son makes us go to haven in wales which he calls rory tiger holidays he loves it we are trying to go some where else this year but he's having none of it so probaly try a different haven for a change lainey

I think both my children would enjoy Centreparcs but I think the cost of going in July/August is beyond us. We could go away in term time I suppose, but then we still have six weeks summer holidays to fill. :wacko:

I'm also reading this thread with interest as we're also thinking about where to go this year. Our last holiday was in August 2004 (a cottage in Derbyshire) and I have bad memories of that. L was just about to slide into her breakdown - she was in a state of high anxiety and the holiday just made it worse as it was an unfamiliar place. I think she'll be able to manage it this year but we'll have to choose carefully. She loves swimming and being by water. Cottages with swimming pools are really expensive - but we'll keep looking.

Edited by Kathryn

we always go in a caravan on a farm just outside keswick in the lake district and weve been going there every year in july before theschool holidays start for the last ten years its my mums friend caravan so we get it cheap j doesnt lke the thought of gong but so long as we plan well ahead and tell him each day where we are going and what we will be doing he isnt too bad so long as he gets his daily dose of ice creams x

We go to Fisherground farm in Eskdale where there are log cabins, (only 3, so quiet) it's in the middle of nowhere but has a great play area and it's own station! There are also little pools where the kids can raft and it's only knee deep. The kids love it out of season when there are no tents in the nearby campsite. The campers use the play area and the kids like it to themselves.

You can google their website if you're interested, but I expect there are some other self-catering places out in the country.

this is not very far from where i live!!did you take the kids on the laal ratty train?? :D

we go to haven,went to the one in ayr last year and we had a great time,went half board for 4 days for 5 us was ?175!kids had a whale of a time,we stayed in a chalet and really enjoyed it.

we always use the Haven sites, some of it is a bit overwhelming for my ds but we just avoid the bits he doesn't like. is great as so many activities included and usually near a beach. different levels of accomodation to suit all budgets. can I just add if anyone interested we paid for ours in part with Tesco deals voucher (4x the value of your tesco vouchers) really good deal - and if you get your shopping delivered there are some great money off shopping codes on money saving expert - I save about ?10 each week. sorry to sidetrack just as lots of us are skint thought it might help.

Edited by elainem

Guest hallyscomet

I think Buckingham Palace would be a great place for a holiday for you and the kids.

Mum will be waited on hand and foot :lol::lol:

Treated like royalty at this place :D

Hailey

We always go to Bude in north cornwall and stay in either a static caravan or a cottage.

Same caravan site same caravan.

But this year were staying in a 3 bed self catering cottage cost ?400 for the week in high season August school holidays.

Weve been going to Bude ever since our son was a baby.Hes used to it now and likes the place i couldnt face changing the location it took 8 years for him to get used to it id be a pensioner before he got used to anywhere else. Bless his little tinker.

CAMPING - ALWAYS CAMPING - IN A TENT!

...... it's safer. I've looked at booking caravans and cottages but you have to pay for the breakages :lol:

We usually go to Scotland because it's quieter, there are lots of gift shops (don't ask!) and plenty of walking which wears them all out!

Daisy

We have bought a caravan (to replace the old one which is just too small for the 6 of us) cheap off ebay and will be doing our usual trip to Haven at Ayr and travelling down to visit my parents. Over the years we've even toured Europe and visited Disneyland Paris with it. We found that as long as the place where the boys were sleeping was familiar to them then we could get away more with being in different places. Mind you we have to lay out the furniture in the awning in the exact same way each time :blink:

This has always been a difficult issue with my son because:

he doesn't like sports

he doesn't ride a bike

he hates places with too many people such as parks

he hates things for younger kids (he's 12)

he likes to see historical places

Last summer I rented a cottage attached to a farm in Cornwall. It wasn't expensive and he loved the contact with the farm animals. We took boat trips, did canoeing, lots of sightseeing in the towns and villages and country walks. It was great. I'd recommend something like this if your son is the quiet type like mine.

Curra

We have bought a caravan (to replace the old one which is just too small for the 6 of us) cheap off ebay and will be doing our usual trip to Haven at Ayr and travelling down to visit my parents. Over the years we've even toured Europe and visited Disneyland Paris with it. We found that as long as the place where the boys were sleeping was familiar to them then we could get away more with being in different places. Mind you we have to lay out the furniture in the awning in the exact same way each time :blink:

we went to haven in ayr last year and we had a fab time!! :dance:

Ben now absolutely loves Butlins, and it is sooooo easy, but when he was smaller and less able to cope with noise/bustle etc we used to use a friends static caravan at a little campsite between Herne Bay/ Whitstable...

It was brilliant when weathers good ... The beach is great for swimming/dinghys at higher tides and shallow pools for miles at low for collecting shellfish etc (and getting very muddy!).

There's also a brilliant sea wall for cycling, and you can go for miles and right up onto the cliffs... i had never dreamt kent beaches could be quite so peaceful attractive...

L&P

BD

Another one who goes to Centerparcs! Not only does DS love the outfoor activities and the pool I get some much needed pampering in the Aqua Sana!

We went to Cornwall last summer and stayed in a beautiful cottage on the beach front. DS had a whale of a time!

Lx

Hi,

We always book a cottage. That way you can do your own thing and have all the home comforts too. I have been to the same village in North Wales for the last 5 years and Kai loves it. We used to go when i was a child, so it's a very sentimental place for me. There's a beautiful quiet sandy beach, steam trains, mountains, fresh air, waterfalls and lots of sheeeep! Heaven (well it is to us anyway!).

We went to Corfu last autumn to a small complex, right out of the way of the main resort. That was lovely. I don't like being anywhere where there's crowds (unless it's Disney Land!).

Hope you find somewhere nice to go,

Loulou x

we just go to butlins! i know that most would disagree that is a good place to take an asd child, but we have always gone in fact i been going since i was 8 yrs old. so to our kids its like second home, they know what to expect.

When you say holiday do you mean somewhere to spend several days/weeks or are you also interested in day trips as well?

I wouldn't say that holiday parks are the best places for kids with AS. They might not enjoy the recreational activities on offer and they can be crowded with lots of kids and chavs. In the late 1980s and early 90s my family went to a number of holiday parks in Devon and the Isle of Wight. Most days were spent visiting places of interest in the area. Fine if you have a car.

We are another Center Parcs family. We mainly go to the ones on the continent, Holland and Belgium but the layout, activities, houses are all the same so its easy to prepare. Also all the old photos come in handy when jogging memories!!

We have just booked up for a weekend at Winfell this weekend and am in 2 minds as we have sprung it on ds so fingers crossed!!!

We also found Disneyland Paris great out of season using there priprity pass thing which meant ds didn't have to queue with people for the rides or parades or even to have his photo taken with a character, dh was very embarassed when I did that one but ds was getting stressed as he was in the queue but everyone else was pushing, he's a stickler for the rules!!

Wish us luck for the weekend!

Carrie

Our family goes to the Isle of Wight. Might be a bit tricky though because of the ferries- my 'NT' brother has bigger issues than I do with this o_O

In the UK we go to Centerparcs (give Longleat a miss if there are issues with mobility - it's hilly!) or get a luxury lodge (he loves the hot tub!!!). We used to do caravans but children (and parents!) can bore easily of the confined space. Hoseasons have some good places in their brochure.

Abroad, we go to the states, all the parks in Florida let you queue jump if you let them know your child has problems (woo hoo!)

Incidentally if you have a child who doesn't like queues, change the terminology to "lines" - my son can't stand queues but he's ok with lines!!! Weird, but worth a go!

Hope you find something suitable and have a jolly nice time!

Yes Centerparcs is expensive, so listen up ...

Centerparcs are doing a ?100 off on certain dates (was an ad in Daily Mail), example: we are going 1st May Mon-Fri at Sherwood, executive villa for ?349 (insteas of ?670). Just phone up 0870 520 0300 and quote DMV16 (open to everyone no coupons etc) - all parcs, restricted dates, comfort and exec villas. Cheers!

We're going back to Daisy Chain this year, they are giving us the same room again which makes it much easier and on my request sent photographs of the room before we went last year.

We have booked a holiday to centre parcs this year. I typed in centre parc codes into google and came up with one that worked for us for our holiday in June. We got ?89 off the total price with the code DABS. Thanks for all the recommendations, it helped me convince DH.

We use hoseasons cottages, you can specify if you want detached, near sea, swimming pool etc and then the area. Means we can search with our son on the internet so he is involved in the process (it sometimes works!!!) We are thinking about bookinga cottage in France this summer butwe are really worried about the food, our son,aged 9, has a very restricted diet and can smell if food is cooked differently etc :wacko:

Any suggestions, we already take tins of tuna and jars of mayo with us wherever wego but even hecan't live on that for a week.

this is not very far from where i live!!did you take the kids on the laal ratty train?? :D

we go to haven,went to the one in ayr last year and we had a great time,went half board for 4 days for 5 us was ?175!kids had a whale of a time,we stayed in a chalet and really enjoyed it.

He he, yes we did! We landed on Mother's day last year and booked the same weekend this year. Mums get to ride free.My husband was trying to get me to take up the additional offer of driving the train- but i didn't dare! (Told him to go in a dress this year, he'd love it! :lol: )