Sign in to follow this  
hev

omega 3

was talking to a mum at my support group today and she was worrying she might be giving her son too much omega 3,is that possible?her worry is he has it in the milk,she buys the margarine with it in,also the yoghurts also gives him two capsules a day,i didnt know but in the margarine and milk theres only small amounts isent there,im waiting to have eye op and cant read small labels that well,any ideas?

I don't know, but tell her to check the labels with the yoghurts. The xxxx drinks (name deleted by moderator) one is stuffed full of sugar and aspartame.

I don't know, but tell her to check the labels with the yoghurts. The xxxx drinks (name deleted by moderator)one is stuffed full of sugar and aspartame.

Got 2/10 in the Daily mail healthy yogurts for children ...

Aspartame is an additive - replaces sugar - there's lots of it in 'sugar free' drinks, diet drinks etc etc - i think I'd rather have J with rotting teeth - come to think of it - he had 5 out last October! :o

Hi Everyone

Talking of aspartame has anyone ever found a drink without it in?

I am constantly looking. Didn't think to post on here ;)

Boots sold a drink that had pictures of Roald Dahl's characters on that had no artificial sweeteners. I tend to give Ds1 natural juice diluted with water, milk and plain water. He's active enough without me encouraging him :D

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Hev

Hey guys I think Hev was asking about Omega 3 not (Aspartame- diet sugar)

was talking to a mum at my support group today and she was worrying she might be giving her son too much omega 3,is that possible?her worry is he has it in the milk,she buys the margarine with it in,also the yoghurts also gives him two capsules a day,i didnt know but in the margarine and milk theres only small amounts isent there,im waiting to have eye op and cant read small labels that well,any ideas?

Hev,

I know Call Me Jaded and Baddad know a lot about Omega 3 and Bid as they have their children on these perhaps if they dont see this you could PM them.

Regards

Hailey

Edited by hallyscomet

The only serious contra-indication I could find is if someone has epilepsy. Even then you can still do it under supervision. Too high a dose would be indicated by (look away if squeamish) a softening of the bowel movements - too much oil and it will come out the other end, so to speak - or perhaps hyperactivity. My son has a maintenance dose way over the recommended daily amount. It makes him more alert, so whether this is perceived as more hyper depends on the situation. It also seems to help his vision greatly - he stopped looking at things 'sideways' i.e. from the peripheral vision, when we did it.

Hev,

I'm working on the theory that its a good idea to remove nasties like aspartame, MSG, caffeine etc either before or as well as supplementing. By improving blood flow to the brain, there's the possiblity you may increase brain uptake of some of the nasties at the same time. By removing the nasties, there could be better results from the supplementation. ;)

Edited by sue1957

i dont think ribenea has it in-aspartame that is

only the normal one though not diet

most diet drinks have it in im avoiding it too as it is strongly linked to causing cancer :o

my dentist keeps saying oh no he needs diet stuff without the sugar,but id rather bad teeth also then cancer causing ingredients :dance:

CMJ I was interested to see that you had found something out about these supplements and epilepsy. I went to buy some omega 3 at our local chemist where I get my daughter's anti- epilepsy medication from. The pharmacist was quite agitated and said she musn't take these supplements with this anti- epilepsy medication. I know someone has posted somewhere else that their brother, I think has epilepsy and takes omega 3. I'm just really worried as no-one can seem to advise me.

LKS

I haven't looked at this in any detail for a few years, but there was one study quite some time ago which showed some negatative effects with omega 3 and epilepsy, basically an increase in fitting, but the patients were schizophrenic too. There is quite a good deal of research which suggests that it's beneficial. Here's one:

Is omega-3 fatty acid deficiency a factor contributing to refractory seizures and SUDEP? A hypothesis.

Yuen AW, Sander JW.

The National Society for Epilepsy, Chalfont St Peter, Bucks SL9 ORJ, UK.

Epilepsy, the commonest serious neurological condition, is associated with an increased risk in premature deaths, including an estimated 500 sudden unexpected deaths (SUDEP) per year in the UK. In some patients seizures are associated with cardiac arrhythmias, which are thought to be a major factor in SUDEP. Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to reduce cardiac arrhythmias in animal studies and to reduce sudden cardiac deaths, thought to be due to cardiac arrhythmias, in both healthy subjects and in those who have had one myocardial infarction. Additionally, omega-3 fatty acids in animal studies and in a small clinical observation study have shown anti-seizure effects. Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation in patients with refractory seizures may reduce seizures and seizure associated cardiac arrhythmias and hence SUDEP.

[/i]

You could have a look here, where Alex Richardson (who is an internationally renowned authority on EFA supplementing) dismisses the original research as something of a myth, but Amanda Kirby of the Discovery Centre says some parents have seen an increase in fits, but it has not been anything too serious. Something a lower dose might resolve, perhaps.

http://lists.becta.org.uk/pipermail/senco-...May/014191.html

You could contact the National Society for Epilepsy for some guidance.

Getting back to Omega 3. I've been trying to get this down our Martin but he won't have it at all. Just hates the taste too much. Tried the milk, tried the eggs but his extra-sensory perception just picks it up every time.

Just tried orange flavoured capsules in milk and not in milk. No good - he just won't take it.

When I tell him it's good for his brain he just tells me he's intelligent enough already and doesn't need it thankyou - actually he is only in year 5 and he's doing year 7 maths so perhaps he's right :)

His NT twin sister takes hers no bother :wub: Perhaps I can push the competition fact and say that she'll get more intelligent than him :lol: But he won't care.

Daisy

There's an orange paste which you could put in yogurt? I sometimes drizzle the vanilla oil on gf toast. Or reverse psychology - this is yuck, you're not going to be able to take it?

I would say eat more fish, but then mercury comes into it.

ive just been concentrating on giving this to steve,is it worth giving any to katie,shes nearly 3?NT

My boys have been on Omega 3 for over a year and I've just recently twigged something. I can't take evening primrose oil supplements because they give me a migraine. My youngest son is always getting bad headaches that make him feel sick and on reading the ingredients of the omega 3's I noticed that they also contain evening primrose oil!!! I'm wondering if he is reacting to it the same as me.

Does anyone know of a brand that doesn't contain evening primrose oil?

Lauren

my mum whants to put me on that but im not shure about it