Lynden

Laughing at nothing?

Do your ASD kids do this? My NT daughter has a great sense of humour and spends half her time laughing at one thing or another, but my autistic son is different. He laughs during rough play etc but what he also does is laugh hysterically at what seems like nothing to us, ie in his bedroom tonight he started in fits of laughter at apparently nothing and laughed for ages (so so did I as he has a totally contagious giggle).

Is it an ASD thing or a kid thing in general - Logan is the only child I know that seems to do this :-)

Lynne

My AS daughter doesn't laugh little - she only laughs big if you know what I mean. When something makes her laugh she can't stop she'll laugh hysterically (real belly laughs) for ages and ages. It's as though once it's in her head she can't stop - and she only has to be reminded about it and it starts all over again.

Hi Lynne,

my son does this also, he will be sitting there with a stern face one minute, then the next he is in real

'loud' hysterical laughter, this can carry on for ages, but then it seems to send him the other way and

he'll start getting upset and screamy. :blink:

I have asked what he is laughing at, and although he does tell me, I often fail to see the funny side of it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Then again, I do this sometimes, maybe not as hysterical, but if something has really tickled me, it will

keep coming back into my head all day and I find it just as funny as when it happened. :unsure::lol:

Brook

J very easily tips over the edge with manic laughter and quickly becomes out of control as a result. On one occasion he went into complete hysterics over a plain white facecloth in the bathroom and took ages to come down. It just seems that if he's in that kind of mood to start with then something 'funny' will exaggerate the mood - I guess it's a bit like the effect alcohol has on mood, how it makes you more miserable or happy depending on how you start off.

Karen

x

On other autism forums I use, parents make a strong connection between inappropriate laughter and overgrowth of bacteria in the gut. The growth could be candida albicans or clostridia difficile, or something else - you can get tests.

Probiotics could help. We used L casei immunitas just prior to going GFCF and we all felt the benefit. Mr jaded's lifelong athlete's foot cleared up (anyone seen Diet Doctors? - think that's what it's called).

Edited by call me jaded

My ds does this. Sometimes I think it's his own humour and othertimes I think it's because he doesn't understand his emotions and how he is supposed to feel and act....like when he laughs when his little brother is being sick.

I find that sounds can set lewis off. Silly sounds in cartoons seem to tickle him. But he can also become quite hyper with it!

He too doesn't seem to laugh a little but laugh a lot, like some-one else said.

One of the kids from my residential school that almost certainly has AS used to laugh at nothing. He would sit in the common room or one of the classrooms by himself and would chuckle and snigger. When he was asked what was so funny he would reply - oh nothing. I read somewhere that some introverted people often have wild thoughts about certain things and a tendency to snigger whilst thinking. Allegedly they have a warped and twisted sense of humour and find things funny that most NT people find sick.

Kieran gets realy hysterical at the stangest thing but is wors if somone falls over or wallks in to somthing and so on. I think its the faces and noise as the more thay roll rond in pain the more he lathes he love's it when DH falls over dog wich happens often :lol: But somthing the rest of use find funny he will look at us as if we are mad

Hi My son does this when he is getting extreemly hyper and running about and goes yeah and laughs like a real 'evil' laugh and just goes complety mad in his own little world!

Hi My son does this when he is getting extreemly hyper and running about and goes yeah and laughs like a real 'evil' laugh and just goes complety mad in his own little world!

Have to say the same as last poster about my stepson, he has such an eveil laugh sometimes, and laughs at nothing, just sits laughing to himself, or gets hyper and laughs and screams, then other times he can laugh at things on tv, which arnt that funny, but he thinks they are, i find not saying why you laughing the best thing, as if we ask him he can get very defensive!!!

Michelle

My son (aged 6, ASD) often does lots of the above. If he finds something funny (like a sneeze, or some slapstick on a video, or just a particular word) others often don't find it funny but it can keep him laughing for ages. He'll think about it often afterwards (he tells us) and laugh again, as loud and as long.

At night he sometimes giggles away to himself - really eerie when the rest of the house is asleep and you're woken up by manic giggling. I sometimes think it's his way of dealing with stress - it's like the old saying, you either laugh or cry and he can't work out which one's right, but he obviously gets some release from it and goes back to sleep. By the way, he hates crying, I think because the feelings involved are just too raw, too much for him, and it gets him unwanted attention.

I do love it when he laughs, because his giggle is so infectious. He often starts me off!

Lizzie

sounds to me like he is laughing at his thoughts

brake out in to the hysterics some times when i think some thing funny

This sounds also like myself, apparently we seem to have a kind of twisted sense of humour?< me twisted ermmmmmmmmmm. grins> one thing is for sure a nuero typical person will not always graps our sense of humour as it indeed seems to be very personal.

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

I have a pupil in my class with autism. There are times when he is laughing so much that he is hysterical. But within seconds he can be inconsolably upset. However i have also seen this behaviour at more inapproprite times. for example someone falls and hurts themselves and the person with ASD laughs. This may be part of their diminished social understanding. They may be trying to interact with the world and know that a fall requires a reaction. They just haven't got the right one. Do you see what I mean

I have a pupil in my class with autism. There are times when he is laughing so much that he is hysterical. But within seconds he can be inconsolably upset. However i have also seen this behaviour at more inapproprite times. for example someone falls and hurts themselves and the person with ASD laughs. This may be part of their diminished social understanding. They may be trying to interact with the world and know that a fall requires a reaction. They just haven't got the right one. Do you see what I mean

Hi Llywellyn,

Yes, I certainly do see what you mean.

My son used to get really concerned when someone fell over and would talk about it non stop, the last couple

of years though (he is now seven) he laughs hysterically when someone falls over and it is really OTT, I also dont think the kids tv helps, in as much as most of them like cartoons etc.. show falling over as being funny.

My son laughs hysterically, then it turns into upset, I think his levels of excitement go way out of control and

he cant put a cap on it, this is when it turns to upset.

Hope I've worded this okay, it is late (my excuse :rolleyes: ).

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

Brook

hi everyone ! i have recently been told by two friends that i appear to have autism or more likely aspergers .i have been emotionaly or mentally disturbed for a few years brought on by lifes strains and difficulties . i am 58 , i behave very similarly to the kids who find things very funny . shallow crude "jokes " i find rather distasteful . anything with depth , wit , and insight i find hilarious . i find a lot of people dont understand me because they are not inteligent enough or perhaps dont see as deeply into things as i do . my language skills are above average but its difficult for me to comunicate . i assume people say what they mean because i say exactly what i mean so there can be no confusion but it appears that most talk in riddles or euphamisms or hint at what they mean out of general politeness !! most people do this filtered ,reading between the lines stuff and make slight faces etc to comunicate . i dont get it at all . i see it afterwards but thats too late . i have very few friends and live a very lonely life . this is a poor attempt to describe something that has troubled me all my life , due to comunication problems its almost imposssible to make it clear without others misunderstanding me . worse when i was a child , much much worse . sorry i say too much too ! 

On 9/6/2020 at 6:39 PM, crispy said:

hi everyone ! i have recently been told by two friends that i appear to have autism or more likely aspergers .i have been emotionaly or mentally disturbed for a few years brought on by lifes strains and difficulties . i am 58 , i behave very similarly to the kids who find things very funny . shallow crude "jokes " i find rather distasteful . anything with depth , wit , and insight i find hilarious . i find a lot of people dont understand me because they are not inteligent enough or perhaps dont see as deeply into things as i do . my language skills are above average but its difficult for me to comunicate . i assume people say what they mean because i say exactly what i mean so there can be no confusion but it appears that most talk in riddles or euphamisms or hint at what they mean out of general politeness !! most people do this filtered ,reading between the lines stuff and make slight faces etc to comunicate . i dont get it at all . i see it afterwards but thats too late . i have very few friends and live a very lonely life . this is a poor attempt to describe something that has troubled me all my life , due to comunication problems its almost imposssible to make it clear without others misunderstanding me . worse when i was a child , much much worse . sorry i say too much too ! 

Hi and welcome, feel free to start your own post if you like and hopefully we can help you make sense of yourself and others. no need to apologise to us for talking a lot. I can be the same, but then again im also dyslexic so summarising what i need to say is difficult for me.