Sign in to follow this  
007paul007

New School Teacher is playing up again

Where do I start, I don't know, the other week my son was off school for a week with the dreaded cold, his sleeping then went all out of shape. Anyway he went back to school last monday and comes home wearing the pull up incontinent pads, which we had already stated at my son review last month, that we were dead against it unless of course he had a severe day with his IBS, in which case the school would want to send him home if it was that bad, just to add that this new teacher had started putting these on my son without the parents consent in the first place, to which annoyed us.

We wrote in saying we did not want him in the pants as we saw it as a step backwards, shhe replied that she did not see it as a step backwards and was going to arrange a meeting with us , with which she , the school nurse, us and an incontinence advisor would attend . It has taken us over 13 years to get my son out of these pads and yes he is still not brilliant and will have the odd accident, which we just get on with and carry on moving forward.

anyway the teacher said some days he will go to the toilet every 15 - 20 minutes and even then sometimes will have an accident and wet on the floor and this raises health and safety concerns. The old teacher never had any concerns like this, anyway I spoke to the head yesterday regarding my worries as I said that if they are putting in these pads with or without our consent how often are they changing him , I mean if he is wetting himself any 15 - 20 minutes are they changing him straight away or leaving him until break time for example, cause surely if they are changing him every time he goes, then they still have to spend the same time with him.

Anyway another thing happenned on thursday after being in the school for 10 minutes the school nurse phoned me up and aid they were concerned about my son and they might send him home, he had his epilepsy tremors and looked quite pale , after explaining to them that my son has only had fits upon waking and that tremors were made worse by the medication to stop the fits and that some days he has the tremors good, or badly and even some days not at all, I also explained that the neurologist did not think it was a good idea yet to place my son on medication to stop the tremors yet until the fitting was under control and unless it stopped my son leading a normal life. Anyway I suggested to the school nurse to give my son an hour and let me know how things were then, basically the teacher wanted to send him home because they thought he was going to have a fit, even though they the medication at school for him. Anyway around 4 hours later the school phoned and suggested he could come home but suggested that we could still let him go to his respite care that night as he was do to go, when my son arrived we found a letter from his teacher saying she thought he had a urine infection , after a visit to the GP we found he was all clear.

I have spoken to the head teacher to arrange a meeting next month to discuss all this as I think the new teacher does has the understanding at all and knows nothing about coping with a child with Epilepsy or IBS so wish me luck !

I don't know much about it in all honesty but just wanted to wish you good luck with talking to the head about it :robbie:

>:D<<'>

Paul,

It sounds like your having a real time of it!

I am sorry your having problems with this teacher. I hope you get it sorted out. How is your Son? Ok i hope.

Not much advice i know but just to let you know i'm thinking of you and sending some opf these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Sometimes it just seems one thing after another ... hope you get it sorted with the head.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Thanks for the support, my son seems to be fine and his sleeping pattern is slowly but surely getting back to normal, but he is a bit out of sorts now his routine has been aletered yet again.

Yes the head says he will be involved with this now and will be at the meeting next month.

Thinking of you >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

It sounds like your son has made some real steps forward. Perhaps this teacher just needs you to educate her as she does seem to be coming from a different angle.I wouldn't be happy about them doing something against your wishes *(e.g the pull ups), I hope that things get better. Perhaps you could remind them that he is your son and it is you that are committed to his well being for his whole life and that you are proud of the acheivements that he has made and that he is a person not just someone to stick in pull ups to make life easier for them!

My son doesn't have these kind of problems, we have different ones with anxiety etc, so I don't know much but wanted to send you some >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi Paul, my first thought is where is the school nurse in all of this?? A bit noticable by her abscence I'd say!

Could you get your sons paed, GP and or school nurse to all liase and then fill the school in with what to expect from his medical conditions, sounds like the school don't have the confidence to deal with him appropriately but this could be because they're a bit scared by the situation perhaps? Sounds like they need some education on your sons problems.

Good Luck

Witsend.

Hi Wits

Well it just so happens we have also had a new school nurse this term as well, so that has not helped, as I have mentioned before we had none of these problems before with the old teacher, yes my son would come home with bottoms the school had put him because he had an accident, but they were not pull up pads or anything like that, they have letters from the GP regarding the IBS, 2 in fact last term for the old teacher and nurse and then this term when the teacher thought it was contagious, my GP is doing a letter about the epilepsy for me to take to the meeting, his pead goes into school to see my son , and he goes every 3 months I think it is, but I will be contacting him, he did work together with the old school nurse buti am not sure how he his with this nurse.

Hi Paul,

So sorry you're having these problems...

I work in the residential unit of a special school, and we have similar problems where we have got students out of pads, only to have the school end put them back in them during the school day :(

Not much help, I know, but just wanted to send some >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Bid :)

Hi Paul, you prob know this anyway but just wanted to say the prevoius school nurse should of devised a care plan for your son which should have been passed on to the new school nurse to ensure continuity of care, might be worth asking about this and asking to see it. Also when considering his medical/nursing needs at school some of those needs will be social and psychological and these need to be taken into account along with the physical, (just thinking about the pad wearing here, and ways to contest it if you don't agree it's appropriate).

hope next week is better for you and yours - take care

Luv Witsend.