Sign in to follow this  
JenRose

Antidepressants

The psychiatrist mentioned fluxo-something,i cant remember.

She has asked me to have a think before our next meeting in 2 weeks, i really dont know what to think.

Has anyone any experience of their child with antidepressants.

Thanks

Could it be fluxoetine? If so it's prozac.

We reluctantly agreed to A taking prozac in April of last year. We had tried everything we could non-drug wise and he needed something more. We were extremely concerned because we had read all the press about SSRIs and an increase risk in suicide in teenagers but quite honestly he was already self-harming and something had to be done. It was the only thing left to try.

For him it worked like something of a miracle. It does take a few weeks to have an effect and they need to be on it for a minimum of 6 months if it works but A is a different child now. He calls it his laughing gas tablets because they made him feel so much better and significantly reduced his anxieities, although he still has them. To some extent I think it was helped by us removing him from school at the same time but he recently tried to stop taking but asked to go back on them because he started feeling more edgy without them.

It's a very personal decision, I suppose at the end of the day, our reluctance was overcome by the fact that we had tried everything else and nothing had worked and he couldn't continue the way he was.

Edited by Tez

Hi jen,

I agree with Tez that it's a personal decision. Nobody wants their children on medication, but sometimes it can help get a child through a really difficult time and bring some relief to a family. They all have side effects which need to be weighed up against the benefits.

I don't have any experience of fluoxetine/prozac but my daughter has been prescribed four different kinds of antidepressant over the past two years with varying degrees of success. At one stage medication was our last resort and the only help available. The good news is that she is now off them all and doing well, so it doesn't have to be forever.

Various antidepressants have been discussed a lot on this forum and people's experiences vary widely. Have a look at this topic which is an interesting discussion on the pros and cons, including prozac:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=92&hl=

If you use the search facility on this forum and type in prozac and fluoxetine (hope that's the right spelling!) you will find other topics where people have mentioned their experiences of this particular drug.

Hope this helps

Kathryn

Thanks tez, i suppose i am reluctant because he,s only 9 and i think that they are using this to treat him rather than look at the underlying reason thats causing him to be this way.